• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

correct wieght gear oil for rear gear box?

1st V7 classic

Tuned and Synch'ed
85-90w or 85-140w?? Thanks in advance ,I put the first one 85-90 syn. in gear box is that right??

1st V7 classic said:
85-90w or 85-140w?? Thanks in advance ,I put the first one 85-90 syn. in gear box is that right??

Rear drive(transmission) the lump at the end of the swing arm, 85W-140. The gearbox(transmission) ( the box that changes gears) 85W90

Pulled the 75-90 syn. out of rear transmission hub and put in the 75-140 syn. in. Thought I had it backwards and thanks John for the correction. Only ran it 5miles on the wrong stuff and it flushed it out anyway and cleaned magnet again. Get to go!!!!

Good info to know. Owner's manual is unclear.
I need to top off my final drive fluid as I've noticed some oil on my rear wheel. Can't quite tell where the leak is from just yet. I re-torqued the drain nut and cleaned the wheel and final drive off last night, and no leaks as of yet from sitting over night.

If you aren´t using full synthetic then don´t forget the moly additive. It makes a noticeable difference to the operating temperature of the drive.

90% of the time a leak out of the rear drive is due to over filling.

My first service was done at Rosefarm Classics, and I'm sure Jim used Agip synthetic and put in the proper amount.
After a 2 mile test ride, I noticed a drop from the inside of the hub assembly.

Attachments

• FD-1.jpg
    FD-1.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 744
Morizzi said:
If you aren´t using full synthetic then don´t forget the moly additive. It makes a noticeable difference to the operating temperature of the drive.

Not a fan of Moly. I've seen it cause etching on the bearings. For that reason, fully synthetic is best. Also even with non synthetic I wouldn't use moly. Airhead BMWs have similar rear drives and never recommended moly.

I used Valvoline syn-blend,works fine! Just got back from 200 mile run,smooth,shifts easy,not noisy! I,m changing it out every oil change. Plenty overkill and protection. Oil-syn gear blend best of both worlds.

john zibell said:
Morizzi said:

Not a fan of Moly. I've seen it cause etching on the bearings. For that reason, fully synthetic is best. Also even with non synthetic I wouldn't use moly. Airhead BMWs have similar rear drives and never recommended moly.

My experience is different to yours John. I´ll continue to use it. I´m interested to know how you could tell it was the moly causing the etching?

The easy test to see if what you are using is doing its job is straight after a decent ride. Put the back of your hand against the drive and feel the temperature. It will be hot but if you can´t hold your hand there then I´d be looking for an alternative.

Cheers

Morizzi,

Moly is molybdenum disulphide. If the sulfur breaks away form the molybdenum molecule, you can get sulfuric acid formed. The race for the crown bearing (the roller bearing not the ball bearing in a big block bike) was completely pitted by the acid that formed taking the bearing with it. BTW, BMW has used a similar rear drive forever (old airheads) and they have never recommended adding moly to any of their oils.

Thanks John.

Interesting! I´m wondering if any contaminants came down the swing arm. Unlike the small blocks, big blocks don´t have a seal between the drive and the shaft. If the rubber boot ever split or a vent was fitted then this may be an alternative explanation. Don´t know just throwing something up there to contemplate. Water and moly disulphide would be more able to convert to sulphuric acid than air, I´m thinking. (Needs ample hydrogen and not a lot in air, H2SO4)

I´ve never had the issue but I change the oil in the rear drive every 10,000km as per recommendations.

I´ve actually gone to Tungsten disulphide now and still no detrimental affects to be seen. I must admit I don´t go into the drives very often, only when the inner seal has finally died but I´ve never had a bearing failure in there or seen a sign of pitting in the lubricated space.

The reason that moly has got so expensive is the demand for it in heavy industry and mining. A gearbox in some of that stuff is worth more than a showroom of Guzzis and under much higher loads.

I´ll stick with it. At 160ml of oil in the rear drive I´ve got 120,000km worth of 80W140 in a 2 litre container and I have a lifetime supply of Tungsten S2 so I´m set for a long time considering I mainly ride my LM III.

I also use moly fortified grease on the splines. I find its the duck´s guts. :woohoo:

Stick with what works for you is my attitude. B)

Enjoying the discussion.

Cheers

Rod

My rear cover gets luke warm to the touch after 30 minutes or so. Running Valvoline SYN-Blend 75-140,oil and syn. the best of both worlds. Perfect protection. I,m not sold on 100% syn.

1st V7 classic said:
Running Valvoline SYN-Blend 75-140,oil and syn. the best of both worlds. Perfect protection. I,m not sold on 100% syn.

Allow me to wonder; how much synthetic and how much mineral? 50/50 ? 10/90? 73/63 ? :whistle:

I also wonder why Guzzi makes recommendations for which oils to use where, as many users knows so much better. :dry:

Re: correct weight gear oil for rear gear box?

Plain gear oil in the right wieght is fine and has been used for near 90 years in Guzzi,s and the reputation of Moto Guzzi,s long lasting dependible service was made with reg. oils and gear lubes. Agip made a deal with Guzzi and they market it. Its not the answer to all aspects of lube. And for sure not best out there. If the oil meets the spec,s its fine. Beemers,Honda,s, and the more costly cars and trucks do fine on spec oil and lubes. Come on a 10-15 thousand dollar bike is cheap to a 30-40 thousand dollar car or truck. Change it ,drive it right and you will get good service. Thats the magic and follow it.

Thanks for the discussion.

I bought an '07 Breva 750 recently that came with a final drive leak. Following good advice here, I found the vent was frozen, free'd it up and all was good. Just got it back from the dealer who did the first scheduled service and put 75W-90 syn in the final drive - and it's leaking again. : - (
I've ordered another vent (even though I think this one is venting) but thinking I will just go ahead and try the heavier 140 weight fluid and viva la difference.
I'll report back my results.

Did the dealer replace the two seals? If not, then a seal may be damaged and will leak no matter what weight you use.

When I brought the bike in, I had freed up the vent and there was no leaking. I suspect it has closed up again. I have another on order. I understand that oil weight will not fix leaky seals.

Back