• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Could someone post the Stepper Motor Bypass Howto?

Zapa

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I think we had a good one in the old forum, but I cannot seem to find it here...

Also, people seems to have used different approaches to tackle the problem, so it would be nice to use this thread to have them all together.

Thank you guys :D Pics are almost mandatory I'd say.

For which bike?

Essentially the stepper motor lies between the cylinders:

Simply unplug the feeder tubes to each throttle body and plug with a bolt & sealant.

Replace lines and go --OR-- I'm building a kit to electronically turn it on/off.

Re:Could someone post the Stepper Motor Bypass How

I put a valve between the stepper motor and the air box (supply side). This allowed me to turn it on and off to make cold starts easier (on) but be able to turn it off once the motor is warm. I used a fuel shut off valve from Motion Pro (about $12). I routed the line on the outside of the intake tract to make it easier to reach.

StepperMotorManValve-20090813.jpg

StepperMotorValve2.jpg

GuzziMoto wrote:
I put a valve between the stepper motor and the air box (supply side).
How's that holding up/working out?

My kit will be an electronic version of this, completely hidden outside of a bar-mounted switch.

GT-Rx wrote:
For which bike?
My 1200 Sport.

I was thinking if it would be possible to find/make an electrical timed valve that would stay open for a given number of seconds (15, 30, 60) and would be attached to the 12+ switched line.

That way it would work when contact is on for the given time and auto switch off. No need of controls.

guzzimark wrote:
When will the electronic version be ready?
Within the next 2 weeks or less. I hope to have it ready to ship for anyone who wants it with the PC-V/ECU exchange.

GT-Rx wrote:
GuzziMoto wrote:
I put a valve between the stepper motor and the air box (supply side).
How's that holding up/working out?

Fine. It works. Not as fancy as your planned setup, but it does the job.
I have no need for making it automatic. My brain still works (mostly).

GuzziMoto, did you have to put a longer tube to be able to route it to the side? I've talking with my mechanic today and he says that the valve would probably end below the air filter if we put it between filter and motor.

He's got a 1200 Sport without the filter box. Apparently the power kit eliminates it...

No, I did not have to put in a longer hose. On the Griso11 the hose from the stepper motor runs into the airbox above the left side intake. It then runs down to the inside of the intake. I just switched it to run down on the outside of the intake.
If you look at the pic RacerX posted, just where the hose runs up and out of site it has about a 90 degree bend in it and then it plugs into the airbox. It was just a matter of disconnecting the hose from the stepper motor, figuring out where I wanted the valve and cutting it there, and then hooking the remainder of the hose up from the valve to the stepper motor.

I guess the system is a tad different in the 1200 Sport. I'll take pics whenever I go to the workshop (200Km away).

Hey guys:

Did the same bypass with a red/black fuel valve from my local lawnmower engine company and it has solved all problems in my Idle. Previous to the bypass my Griso would idle fine initially but when hot would generally idle around 1800-2000. Removed the charcoal can hoping it would help. It did for a while but the problem returned. Did not have to lengthen the hose, it seems Luigi thought about this fix when he installed the stepper motor as he included a large loop of tubing in the path to avoid kinks. With the additional length added by the new valve the length is perfect and the throttle bottle circumference stops any kinking. Even better, all I had to do was remove the trim below the tank to do the work, removing the tank was unnecessary. Tighten it up with a couple of black cable ties and it even matches the color scheme of the bike. Total cost of around 8$ and my bike idles perfectly and consistently for the first time since I owned it. Thanks for all the help from everyone on this site. Photo included.

JAS wrote:
I used an electrical solenoid to block the pipe from the airbox to the stepper motor.
This is essentially what my kit in the "Stepper motor on/off Kit" (per other thread) will be comprised of. My switch will be bar mounted. Jason, assuming it works quite well in this fashion, yes?

RacerX:

Yes it works very well, though the drilled out holes in the solenoid are still not large enogh. The bike will run on a cold, but its still not really fast enough. I am going enlarge the holes again, when I have the energy. It seems the convoluted path the air has to take through the solenoid (it was designed for pressure not vacuum) means the holes really have to be a bit bigger than the hole used in any inline restrictor.

I would buy your kit if I hadn't already done this mod, having the switch on the handlebars is the most convenient place. I think using an electrical solenoid is the only way to go.

Jason :)

I used the caveman approach on my Breva, pull the hose off the airbox and stuff a bolt down it, works a treat.
I've still ordered one of Todds gizmo's though. :laugh:

Back