Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Cracked rack

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by John L, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

Well my rack broke again at the center tap. Really don’t understand. I don’t think I ever put more than 10lbs in it.
    I don’t know if I’ll try to repair it again. I really don’t like having weight sit so high and far back plus I never thought it matched the lines of the bike. I have the smaller one made by Hepco Becker for Moto Guzzi. It’s garbage. Leaving next week for a trip north. I have a Saddlemans soft bag sitting on the passenger seat now.

2. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Curt if that is and Eldo seat and rack on yours, this is an alternative if you are traveling solo.

Attached Files:

3. Curt Russell

Thanks John. No I have a corbin seat with passenger for the Cali 1400. Yours looks good. Much better than the original which hangs out so far. Who made the rack for that. Where does it mount?

4. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just had my Hepco Becker rack fixed today....Weld broke on the center mounting bracket. Local guy cleaned it up and welded it for me. He also reinforced it with a secondary gusset welded underneath. Not likely to break again anytime soon.

Broke Rack.jpg Broken Rack 2.jpg Fixed Rack 1.jpg Fixed Rack 2.jpg

Attached Files:

John L and PaulDavies like this.
  5. John L

There is a small rack under the passenger pad of the Eldo seat, just a matter of drilling 4 holes through that and mounting the base plate for the top box to it. Unfortunately it's just a little too far back to use it as a backrest as well.

Curt Russell likes this.
  6. Curt Russell

I thought I should clear something up. I discovered recently that my troubles with this rack breaking twice at the center tab had more to do with my dealer and my own incompetence than the quality of the rack. We installed it together when I bought it. They had it hanging on a wall with no addition hardware. (Side support hardware). When I asked what the mounting holes on the side were for they told me for mounting bags on the custom. I recently discovered that they were actually for hardware which attaches to the frame under the fender.

There may be people who have had problems with this rack even tho they had mounted it correctly. I’m not one of them. Now that I have it mounted the right way it seems really sturdy and I am not expecting any further problems.

9D95B659-0E20-4DAB-9583-F85A4249ABAE.jpeg

John L likes this.
  7. John L

I've always had mine attached to frame under the fender, as well as the center tab.

8. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

John L likes this.