• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Create your own Guzzi

I love the Motus engine, the transverse V4 is seriously cool. I don't care so much for the styling, and the price is a bit steep. But it is good that someone is there thinking outside the box.
Currently some of the Japanese brands are doing a pretty good job of building interesting motorcycles. Honda has a few cool V4 powered bikes, as well as a few models using a 700cc parallel twin (I bought one of those). Yamaha has come out with a triple and a twin.
I would love to see Guzzi do something like the Motus. I don't feel they need to do a transverse V twin. In my opinion they mainly need to do something that keeps them outside the box, they need to avoid the standard engine layouts that everyone else seems to use. But it does not have to be a V twin. Guzzi have made other engine designs in the past, and they could do something like that in the future, I would be fine with it.
Other than the MGS 01 (which I would buy tomorrow if I could) I hope they do something interesting that looks towards the future and not continue to capitalize on the past. The PT concepts they did were not exactly what I would be looking for, but perhaps if they went that route with a different designer who was better able to capture the aesthetic of a Guzzi. Moto Guzzi have a long tradition of making beautiful motorcycles. They really don't need to farm it out. They do need to act. I hope they pull something out.

Love the tank behind engine and air box on top idea. Like a Harley Night Rod set up, except it actually makes more sense on a Guzzi.
Maybe some carbon fibre heat shield to prevent burns.
Good point about the straight shot inlets.
Surely having a conventional inlet and exhaust position must generate some R&D savings (I'm not an engine designer). Maybe Piaggio group can share R&D costs between the Aprilia Caponord (1200cc V twin)and Guzzi's engine despite the fact one is air cooled and one isn't.
Motus (see above photo) uses a chain final drive via transfer case which is why the engine is tilted forward. In case you were wondering.

WOW!
I can't believe there are other people that are thinking the same as me. Maybe there are more of us than I thought. Completely agree that Guzzi needs to move beyond doing the "retro" model thing although big cruisers and adventure bikes wasn't what I had in mind. A streetfighter or sport standard would be really enticing. Renard GT some interesting work with the Guzzi engine in a radical frame.
Renard_GThzgtdg.jpg
has done .

I like this kind of setup. Seems like air cooling would be better as it is not preheated by the exhaust. Keeping the pipes in tight so nobody gets burned may require some tricks. The inlets could be a straight shot from an under tank airbox and the fuel tank could go down behind the engine where the inlet is now so there should be good fuel capacity. I hate small tanks. This setup is one I had never thought about. They could even do a performance model with DOHC driven by a chain or belt off the front of the crank. So many possibilities.

Indian has a way of directing the exhaust away from the riders legs by having downward facing exhaust ports on their Thunderstroke
Thunder-Stroke-111.jpg
engine.

Except for the fact that I am pretty sure I could never afford that Renard, I would buy one of those. Not exactly the most useful bike, but way cool.
Guzzi has made their version of a cruiser as long as I can remember. But for me the thing they were most noted for was their Le Mans bikes. I would love to see something that was a streetfighter, or a semi naked sport bike, or even a muscle bike, from them. If they don't do something soon my next bike might be a Yamaha V Max.

Yes, Guzzi has a long history building cruisers that have a cult following but like you, when I think of Guzzi I think "broad shouldered muscle bike".
I don't know how a small manufacturer (relatively speaking) can afford to build so many variations and still make money.
You would think one engine/frame/tank layout with [seat, handlebar, cowl, fairing, pannier] options would be the way to go.
I hope you stay with Guzzi and don't go for a Yamaha but in saying that, I guess if Guzzi is not building what you want you'll look elsewhere.

BTW I haven't mentioned what my dream Guzzi would be.
It would be an exact copy of the Ducati Diavel dimensions (seat height, weight, wheelbase, wheels, pegs, layout etc) but picture it with a Guzzi Audace engine hanging out the sides.
But hey, that's just me.

Yes, Guzzi has a long history building cruisers that have a cult following but like you, when I think of Guzzi I think "broad shouldered muscle bike".
I don't know how a small manufacturer (relatively speaking) can afford to build so many variations and still make money.
You would think one engine/frame/tank layout with [seat, handlebar, cowl, fairing, pannier] options would be the way to go.
I hope you stay with Guzzi and don't go for a Yamaha but in saying that, I guess if Guzzi is not building what you want you'll look elsewhere.
Don't get me wrong. Between my wife and I we own 4 Guzzi's, a Lario, a Daytona, a V11, and a Griso 1100. I have no current plans to sell any of them. But they are all getting old, or older, and I like to have at least one bike around that is newer and possibly more turn-key. The amount of work required to keep a motorcycle on the road seems to go up as it gets older.
Besides, why limit yourself. More is better. Currently my "newer" motorcycle is a Honda with a DCT transmission. It is a cool transmission, but I am not so sure about the rest of the motorcycle. If I get a new bike in the near future it will be because I sold the Honda.

It would be an exact copy of the Ducati Diavel dimensions (seat height, weight, wheelbase, wheels, pegs, layout etc) but picture it with a Guzzi Audace engine hanging out the sides.
But hey, that's just me.
Sounds like a modern Centauro.
That would not be a bad thing.

But hey, that's just me.

I thought this concept would address some of the points mentioned throughout this thread.
- Low COG (770mm seat height) but retains respectable cornering clearance and foot control positioning
- Sexy looks
- Comfortable
- Can be adapted into a credible tourer with a few options attached (panniers, screen)
- Outside the box styling
- Relatively light (compared to California)
- Cool enough to appeal to young buyers but comfortable and practical enough to appeal to more mature riders

I like to see a Griso Racer that sheds weight and adds performance. Nothing ridiculous, but that would match Monster or Triumph Street. WRT weight, you can trim a lot of fat be dropping some coin, but the real weight savings would need to come in the basic package from the factory.

I know it hampers performance in twisties, but I think the long wheelbase kind of defines the marque. I kind of like it.

I'd like a V11 motor in a Tonti frame and with 76 lemans bodywork slightly updated to modern specs. Carbon bodywork candied guzzi red, alcantera seat , LED headlight, tail light and turn signals. Flashy single sided swingarm . Of course lemans spoked wheels. Yes. A wet dream. But a man can drean, right?

I'd like a V11 motor in a Tonti frame and with 76 lemans bodywork slightly updated to modern specs. Carbon bodywork candied guzzi red, alcantera seat , LED headlight, tail light and turn signals. Flashy single sided swingarm . Of course lemans spoked wheels. Yes. A wet dream. But a man can drean, right?
Annoying part is that they nearly had this... but not brought or allowed in the U.S.. The Bellagio had all you request, and many in Europe fitted the V7 bodywork. What a charm that would've been.

Reactions: Rox
Can I invert this discussion for a moment?
It's interesting to note what people are NOT wishing for?
  • Under 900cc engines
  • Over 1200cc engines
  • Boulevard cruisers
  • Off road bikes
  • Purpose built touring bike
There may be several reasons why this isn't the case (ie. Guzzi already satisfies these demands so there's no need to wish for it) but it's an interesting discussion point.

I like this kind of setup. Seems like air cooling would be better as it is not preheated by the exhaust. Keeping the pipes in tight so nobody gets burned may require some tricks. The inlets could be a straight shot from an under tank airbox and the fuel tank could go down behind the engine where the inlet is now so there should be good fuel capacity. I hate small tanks. This setup is one I had never thought about. They could even do a performance model with DOHC driven by a chain or belt off the front of the crank. So many possibilities.

2014-ctx1300-blue.jpg

It's worth noting that the Honda CTX1300 has an across the frame V4 with the exhausts facing outwards and the fuel tank believe it or not is actually under the seat. OK I don't find the styling appealing at all but Honda knows how to engineer stuff.

Reactions: Rox
Back