• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Crest redo info

Re:ach info

Thanks James, that link led to another on reconstruction info for Angeles Crest Hwy. However, starting HERE , below shows the most recent in comedy of errors with one of the new main girders fell from the truck, destroying itself, and blocking the road. Much talks of penalties for the construction company for already running way late for reconstruct. Good read if you have the time. Forecast for reopen was originally Spring/Summer 2009. Hope it even makes 2009 at all, but it will be good to have it open again even if 2010.

IMG_3951.jpg

Photo1.JPG

Photo2.JPG

i like to see that and hwy 39 reopened my 2 stroke mates think it would bring in mass cop again maybe even the hiway patol

Looking at this thread, I am now convinced for the first time that reconnecting Angeles Crest all the way to Wrightwood will actually happen in my lifetime. This is very, very good news, even if now delayed to fall 2009 or 2010. Before the road fell down the hillside, there was always markedly less enforcement and traffic, both bike & car, east of Newcomb's compared to west. I would expect the situation would ultimately settle out to be the same following a big rush shortly after reopening. There were always a lot more folk going up to Newcomb's, then turning around, than going end to end. Whatever the situation in regard to enforcement, much better to have the ability to go end to end than not.

I've been going up there long enough (since '77 when I came out here) to remember when Rt 39 connected up. It was nice to have the option of doing a "half loop" if so inclined. Still, if that is not to be, fine, I'd be more than thrilled to just be able to ride La Canada to Wrightwood, than turn around & go back. Also a much nicer way to go LA to Arizona/Nevada sans freeway as opposed to the awkward, backside of the mountains route (Mt Emma, Fort Tejon, Valyermo Roads, etc) we have to use now.

Jeanne and I are looking at houses up in Wrightwood.
It would be the best of all worlds if it opens a week after close.

Whoa.....we'll all meet at the Garcia cabin for a wild weekend. Bring lots of booze and don't forget the fishing poles:laugh:

Update from above link:

Nov 04, 08, 04:05:52 PM

A New Trucking Company has been brought in to move the girders and Contruction on HWY 2 has resumed!

I talked with Dan today. He is in charge of moving the girders. They are working feverishly to get the girders in and in place by the end of this week. Dan told me they have come up with a better idea for moving the girders so as to prevent what happened a few weeks ago. He said the first one will take the longest as they want to get it right and will be extra careful. He hopes they will get faster with experience and perhaps get 2 girders a day in place. He said the damaged girder has already been replaced with a brand new one and is waiting to be transported through Wrightwood to be assembled at Vincent Gap like the others were. He gave the impression that they would move the girders to Vincent Gap fairly soon as soon as they moved the 5 other girders into place at the construction zone.

I also talked to Bob, the Supervisor of the Company that is building the bridge. He told me that they have acquired this new Trucking company to move the girders. Bob said: "These guys are serious". Bob told me that it would be six weeks before the new replacement girder could be moved into place as it has to have a proper curing time.

As I left Vincent Gap around 3 pm, they were still hooking up the first girder in preparation for the move. According to Bob they are planning on moving it today, even working into the night to get it done. They have brought in light standards so as to work at night. Bob told me he was hoping they were going to just get it ready to move and then come back tomorrow to actually move it, but it seemed they were bent on doing it tonight. Bob, Dan and other supervisors were having a pow-wow about it when I left.

THE ROAD IS CLOSED!

You cannot get to Vincent Gap as the road is closed. I had some hikers park in turn outs and ask if they could walk on over to the Baden Powell trail to hike. I told them I didn't have a problem with it but asked them to be very careful and stay very clear of the crane and heavy equipment.

I ask Bob if he had any problems with people trying to get into the area past the closure. He told me he hadn't and said that everyone seemed to be understanding and cooperative.

I get the impression that they are going to finish this road before the end of the year, even in the snow. If the road is finished in inclimate weather I doubt it will open to the public, but they want to get it finished. I think the $4,000+ a day fine since October 12th might have something to do with that.

Work continues. The fourth girder is now in place. They were going to load the last girder on the dollies this afternoon to be moved on Monday, but because there is a front moving through the area tonight with possible high winds and precipitation, they elected to wait until Monday.

As of Monday all 5 girders will be in place. The new girder that will replace the one that was destroyed will be delivered on Wednesday. It will be assembled at the installation site.

The contractor says the road is going to be finished in December, inclement weather or not.

Here is a girder leaving Vincent Gap on a self leveling dolly's.

normal_Level.JPG

Thanks James, more words and great photos below:

normal_S7300628.JPG

normal_S7300629.JPG

normal_S7300633.JPG

IMG_0012web1.jpg

Nov 08, 08, 06:01:33 PM
The forth girder is now in place. They were going to load the last girder on the dollies this afternoon to be moved on Monday, but because there is a front moving through the area tonight with possible high winds and precipitation, they elected to wait until Monday.

As of Monday all 5 girders will be in place. The new girder that will replace the one that was destroyed will be delivered on Wednesday. It will be assembled at the installation site.

In talking to Bob, this road is going to be finished in December, inclement weather or not.

120,000 lbs of counter weight was needed on the 500 Ton crane to perform this feat. The girders are not secured to the pad they sit on. They just rest upon it so they can move during an earthquake. It isn't as if they are going anywhere. There are cables that will secure the top of the girder to the road.

220 wrote:
The contractor says the road is going to be finished in December, inclement weather or not.

Outfreaking standing, if true. And way, way overdue. Hope snow holds off until we get a chance to ride it once or twice.

We shall organize a ceremonial SoCalGuzi Crossing.
Todd can say a few words, pour Grappa at the bridge entry.
Crest, rebirth shall be celebrated. Holy Holy Holy.

SoCalDon wrote:
Indeed! I look forward to it!

SoCalDon wrote:

Amen.....

Spoke to a guy up at Newcomb's who claims to know the CalTrans guys in charge of this thing. Supposedly CalTrans guy says the job was done cheap & crappy-cause that's what CalTrans wanted-& he expects the thing to get wiped out the first good storm. Guess after all the rain today we should know next time someone runs up there-like later this week?

Dug this up and had a look... pics at the bottom from 9th of Jan. showing the concrete apron pour. This from a few days ago;
Jan 21, 09, 12:42:57 AM
Well, has anyone got any news or updates on the Highway? Is it open to the public? Can we at least hike down the highway to the new bridge?

Reply on: Jan 21, 09, 03:19:26 PM
The "NO Pedestrians Allowed" signs have been gone for sometime. As long as you stay out of the way, I doubt they'll give you any problems with hiking in and taking a look.
Haven't had a look for a couple of weeks, but the bridge should be pretty close to finished. I doubt they'll open it to traffic though until the spring.

Bridge1.jpg

Bridge2.jpg

Back