Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Crossover Pipe idea

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by guzzisti91, Jun 27, 2018.

1. guzzisti91

guzzisti91 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hey all, i have seen a few crossover pipes online that replace the canister "expansion chamber", & i've read some posts on this site by people who have installed them, but they cost around $60-$90, & appear to be little more than a piece of stainless steel pipe. With this in mind, i'm thinking of going into bunnings & making my own from normal steel pipe. Would this work?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It would work, but it would rust. Also when you calculate your time to fabricate the part you may be ahead of the game to just purchase one already made.

3. guzzisti91

Fabricating one from good quality steel will take me less than 30min at quarter the cost of purchasing ready made + shipping, then waiting more than 2 weeks for it to arrive. This is what Sydneysiders have to deal with when they want nice things - make it yourself or spend big & wait ages for the priveledge. Thanks, i'm off to bunnings.

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Be prepared to have to adjust the fueling after this replacement, adding to any costs, You don't say what model you've got, but I notice the post is in the small block section.

5. guzzisti91

It's a 2002 Nevada. All my threads get directed to the small block section. A colleague of mine tells me no re-jetting is necessary when fiddling with the exhaust, the other threads i saw reported seeing no difference other than gearbox sump access, & another site says when it does, it is a valve timing issue, but only when their negative pressure systems are installed. But if you are right, i'll simply reinstall the factory chamber.

6. john zibell

Just changing the crossover probably won't require re-jetting. If changing from the stock mufflers, then it would probably be necessary.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I put a crossover pipe on my first Guzzi, a 1995 California 1100 with carburetors. The bike lost all its low down power. I raised the needles a notch, this helped but the issue was still there at lower openings. Perhaps replacement sliders with less cutaway might have improved things, but instead I reverted back to the colostomy bag. No further problems.

8. john zibell

The small block unit is much smaller than what was put on the 1100s. Basically just a much larger center piece that was oval instead of round. going to a straight piece shouldn't matter. When I put a crossover on my MKV Lemans to replace the pre-muffler re-jetting wasn't required.