• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cush Drive Blocks

Gappy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi guys I have the rear wheel off my 94 cal 1100 to clean up and put some straburags on the splines which have little or no wear. The bike has 66,000 kilometers on the clock. Should I be concerned at this time about the rubber blocks? If I do go farther into the wheel is there anything special about taking the hub apart that I should know, like special tools or procedures . I don’t want to take the wheel off again for a long while, it was a SOB to get out the bike by myself.

I sort of agree with John - I wouldn't make a special trip to check them. However if you take the wheel off I would open up them up and grease the blocks with rubber grease or similar synthetic. The blocks on my lemans were completely frozen to the spyder and therefore weren't doing much 'cushing'. Indeed the plate that holds the drive gear was frozen solid - I had to drill some small holes in the centre hub and drive the plate off some punches. I think this is pretty unusual and may be because my bike was stored in a basement that flooded.

Some people drill holes in them to add a little more cush or remove half of them - not sure it is worth it. They are there for a reason though and that is to prevent shock loads from damaging the drive. If you are a smooth shifter this is not such a worry but it may save you some expensive parts.

If they're anything like the typical rubber cush drive blocks in a myriad of chain driven bikes out there, they'll eventually compress, harden and generally cease to do any "cushing". I, and other blokes in some dirt/trail bike fora which I frequent, do a job on the rubbers each time they replace their rear tyre. There are a few methods people use, but I remove mine when I remove the rear wheel and submerge them in a bath of ATF. This revitalizes the rubber, causing it to expand back to original size as well as lubricating it. Some blokes do the same with brake fluid. When it's time to remount your rear wheel take each rubber piece, wipe it dry(ish) with a clean rag and replace as per usual. The rubbers will still eventually wear out, but they'll last at least 3 times as long if you take this simple step.

I've never heard the ATF/Brake fluid trick. Maybe that is what is in 'Rubber conditioners'. Will have to try it.

Rubber if it is not exposed to oxygen will last without hardening pretty much forever. I once witnessed some tires from WW2 that were part of a mulberry harbour being pulled up from the depths - they were like new once hosed off. I greased mine with a synthetic pink grease from our Canadian Tire and I think one treatment is enough. Rubber grease is pretty much the same.

I don't think the Guzzi cushes ever wear out like dirt bike ones - they are pretty damn stout.

Here is how I look at the cush drive blocks. They are a redundant system. There already is a shock absorbing feature in the gearbox. So if the cush blocks get hard, so what. The loop frames didn't have them at all, neither do the CARC bikes.

Thanks for the feedback , I did inspect the rubber blocks once I figured out how it came apart. I did wipe them off and check to see if they were still pliable which they were, however I did not lubricate them. I thought they were in good condition. The bike was designed and built with them. After the other comments about them I had to see if they were ok. If lubricating them is a good Idea ,it is no big deal to take it apart again ,about a 2 min procedure. The wheel gets a new tire Friday, so I have plenty of time to lubricate the blocks. I will do some research on it.

Gappy: I don't think lubricating them will make you more attractive to the opposite sex or the darling at the ball. I did it on my bike mainly cause mine were frozen solid and I didn't want to repeat. I think sticking some rubber lube is not a bod move but hardly important.

What John says is true and frankly I forgot about that shock clutch mechanism inside the gearbox. I think Tonti put this into the design because it was good or maybe standard italian engineering practice - Guzzi has always been belts and braces in its design philosophy.

To me the only difference between the cush working and not working is a certain feeling of 'windup' when the you give it some throttle on dry pavement otherwise I don't think you would ever notice the cush doing its thing. Some people seem to believe in softening it (Guzziology?) and advocate taking out cushes or drilling holes in them. If anything I would go the other way - hysteresis is never good for performance. But again I am not sure I could feel the difference when it counts - i.e. changing gear mid-corner when driven in anger.

Back