• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Custom 1400 delivered..... in the rain.......of course.

Trout

GT Reference
I'm gonna love this bike but got a few issues I'm needing help with.

This is a 2014 with 6000 miles purchased from Elk Grove in Cal.

The main issue I'm having is the bike surges horribly no matter what mode/traction setting it is in.

It stumbles just off idle & city streets or parking lot's are almost un-ride-able.
2500 rpm or below in any gear is the worst,
3000 to 3500 in any gear is annoying,
3500 to 4000 with cruise control on is still noticeable.

It accelerates fine without hesitation in all modes/traction settings.
Starts easily, idles fine cold or hot. Shuts down normal.

On the speedo there is a red warning lite that flashes about every 15 seconds when the key is off
Looking at the speedo it is the last lite on the right just below the number 9.
Owners book states that it is a “General Warning Light”.

It has not had it's first service so I'm going to do the normal fluid & filter change, adjust valves & look/replace spark plugs this week. I'll also give a good look at hoses, electrical connections, grounds etc for obvious stuff.

Any input is welcome & thanks in advance.

PS:
I've talked to Elk Grove & they are willing to work thru this but they are in Cal & I'm in Florida so I'm pretty much on my own. Heads up to GuzziSteve I may be contacting you!

PPS: I'm posting this on 3 forums.

First, congrats! Secondly, running is completely dependent on state of tune (TPS reset, valve lash, etc). However, I'd be (somewhat) surprised if the selling dealer didn't check the bike for running and error codes before shipping the bike. Don't fret yet... just be sure to get the bike properly tune/set up and all error codes checked. The bike is under warranty, correct(?) in case of a sensor replacement or related.

GT-Rx® said:
First, congrats! Secondly, running is completely dependent on state of tune (TPS reset, valve lash, etc). However, I'd be (somewhat) surprised if the selling dealer didn't check the bike for running and error codes before shipping the bike. Don't fret yet... just be sure to get the bike properly tune/set up and all error codes checked. The bike is under warranty, correct(?) in case of a sensor replacement or related.

Had a little heart to heart with the dealer over the bike being allowed to leave the shop in this condition. The salesman was being a salesman until I got a little firm with him and so he passed me to the service manager who allegedly had ridden the bike.

Long story short: The bike was a Piaggio owned Demo (no telling how many Journalist flogged it) they got it at a discount & sold it at a discount. The bike was delivered to them & I bought it the next day. In my mind it is still un-acceptable for a dealer not to have gone over the bike but it is what it is. I've got about $11500. invested in a $15,000. machine so I'm happy & it is a Guzzi so she will be fine.

Yes it is still under full warranty & there are 2) Guzzi dealers about 1-1/2 hours away, 1) about 2 hrs away and Riders Hill 7 hours away. If it comes to it I'll pay Guzzi Steve to diagnos & then take it to a dealer for warranty.

I have run almost a full tank of Sunoco Premium thru it & it seems to be getting better.

I'll post again when I know what's up.

Trout,

Since you don't know the conditions the bike was run under it may be she has condensation in the fuel. Running better with fresh gas gave me a clue. Even though today's fuel contain ethanol, you may benefit from adding some dry gas to the next tank to try and remove the contamination from water. It takes awhile for things to straiten out.

Again on what Todd said, setting everything up will eliminate those possibilities of the TPS being off and so on. With Centurion or VDSTS ( you will probably need the pro version) you will have to look under I believe Aprilla bikes to get the correct ECU listing for the new 1400. I've contacted Techno Research on this issue but so far I haven't seen an update for this.

Trout said:
On the speedo there is a red warning lite that flashes about every 15 seconds when the key is off
Looking at the speedo it is the last lite on the right just below the number 9.
Owners book states that it is a “General Warning Light”.

This is normal, it's a pseudo alarm light with no activation or siren. Might deter the casual uninformed thief. All the CARC bikes have this feature, I believe.

john zibell said:
With Centurion or VDSTS ( ou will probably need the pro version) you will have to look under I believe Aprilla bikes to get the correct ECU listing for the new 1400. I've contacted Techno Research on this issue but so far I haven't seen an update for this.

Hopefully the Guzzi 1400 version is going to appear in an update in the near future. I've been working with Sandro @ TechnoResearch about resetting the service icon, using the Aprilia version. After a couple of updates it's still not working. I understand Sandro is waiting on information from Italy.

Kiwi Dave: Good call there is condensation in the form of a bit of rust around the filler neck so I can assume some moisture in the tank. Yesterday I was able to run another tank thru her & it is getting better, way better. Think I'll try a small amount of Sea Foam.

This morning I had to back it up for the first time & the rear brake was squeaking plus it felt like a warped rotor. Got the flashlight & looked at the pads & they are down to about nothing. For the fun of it I looked at the running boards and the nylons are worn about half way and on the right side there are some worn down bits of metal. I would sure like to know the history of this bike & who rode it because they had a lot of fun. The front pads are about half way down.

After putting about 200 miles on her yesterday I'm really getting into this 1400 she is so different from the Black Eagle they are two totally different bikes.

It's probably a magazine tester's guinea pig. Those guys flog the hell out of the machines they test. The don't really care about breakins or any thing like that. They just want to run them as hard as they can. It's probably a good thing for the readers in case something breaks, but not necessarily a good thing for the buyers.
Bare

Barenekd said:
It's probably a magazine tester's guinea pig. Those guys flog the hell out of the machines they test. The don't really care about breakins or any thing like that. They just want to run them as hard as they can. It's probably a good thing for the readers in case something breaks, but not necessarily a good thing for the buyers.
Bare

On the bright side, the rings should be seated!!

I should've noted the VIN# on the the I rode at Cycle World Mag when it first arrived. It certainly could've been the same one.
Press bikes are always ridden hard, especially for testing and dyno. Otherwise, they are ridden fairly normally over miles for trips, but they are always enjoyed as the brakes and floorboards attest. As John says, one thing is for sure, anything that will break, will have already broken. ;)

Yeah, the mileage & knowing it was ridden hard really does not bother me, I got the bike for way below list even with shipping. Speaking of shipping I can highly recommend HaulBikes.com outstanding service.

Back