• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

D.I.Y. Manometer.

Charlie J

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have looked on these forums (but obviously not in the right spot) for articles on home made manometers,regarding conversion of inches vacuum (mercury)to whatever fluid you may use in your own. If the specific gravity of Mercury is 13.56 and the specific gravity of Auto Trans Fluid is 0.87 ,does that mean that 1 centimetre of mercury is equal to 15.6 (13.56 divided by 0.87) centimetres of Auto Trans Fluid ?

Um not sure why you would want to know, other than intellectual interest which of course is a noble pursuit. If you make a manometer for balancing the throttle bodies, it works by comparing the level in the two tubes that are joined in a "U" fashion, the vaccum in one "fights" against the vaccum in the other and when the two are equal equlaibrium reigns and the columns will be level and the TB's are in sync.

Here are some tips on building one. Start with a 6m length of high quality pvc tube. Cut it in half exactly and re-join it with a Tee junction at the bottom of the loop. Fit a short silicone tube with blanking screw onto the Tee and use this for filling with oil using a syringe. Clip the tubes to the front of a board, loop them over the top and clip them about 2/3 of the way down the back. Fit a small length of silicone tube into the ends of the tubes where they will fit onto the take-off nipples, which get too hot for pvc tubing to stay tight. (I use left over model aeroplane engine fuel silicone tubing which also comes in handy when bleeding brake and clutch nipples too.)

I was just curious as to the difference. Id made my first manonmeter out of 6 mm clear plastic hose and 2 drilled cap screws but the manometer showed weird vacuum bias. So I made another one.stiffer hose, a tee for filling and used engine oil (not used engine oil)for a medium. But bugga me if that one didnt show weird stuff happening too. So guess what, I made another one. Off to Pirtek (a hydraulic hose company) I went and bought some 6x4 mm PVC hose a "quick fit "Tee and plug and 2 M6 screw in "quick fit " fittings. I used ATF,painted the backing board white,marked a zero point and increments of 10 mm above and below zero to 350 mm.The screw in fittings have a bore of about 1.5 mm. This looks all very resplendant, does not leak, is quick to fit and hang above my bike but it shows strange happenings as well!!!! Maybe I should buy a digital one

One thing for sure that will cause irratic values ...... whether liquid U-tube or digital.
Vacumm Leaks
Fitting / Connections have to be well tight.

With the 1st one I made, where the plastic pipes connected to the throttle body they got hot and softened and the engine vacuum caused them to close up giving dodgy reading so I joined the plastic pipe to a 50mm length of firm hose to put like a thermal barrier there.
Kevin

If you use a short length of model aeroplane silicone fuel tubing between the throttle body nipple and the manometer tube it will not pop off with heat.

Ask for the thick walled stuff, not all hoby shops keep the thicker walled version. As always the cheap stuff is so thin walled that it easily pops off with a bit of sideways twist if the manomenter tubes put a bit of weight on them.

My manometer does not leak. The quick fit fittings use an O ring on the thread and jaws to clamp the outside of the hose. I hang the gauge above the back of the bike and it does not move arond. I have also swapped sides with the hoses and get the same readings. There are no vacum leaks/air leaks on the inlet side,verified with ether in an aerosol. I dont let engine temp get over 90 degrees C

Back