• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dare we try again?

nokarbs

Just got it firing!
Following up on the success of our ride earlier this month, lets try it again on Saturday November 16. This will give those going to Death Valley a chance to recover. Leaning towards a ride through SM Mountains but could be persuaded to go up the Crest...Who's in?

On another note, while visiting Thousand Oaks Moto Guzzi for recall work, Monica twisted my arm and made me take out a California Custom for a solid 45 minute ride. This bike rocks! Drive train is sublime. Chassis is smooth and composed. Amazingly this beast handles! I took it up to the twisties and the bike just shrugged them off. I'm a stranger to cruisers and their foot platforms and rocker shifting. The adjustment was rapid. The upright position doesn't really suit me but i could learn to like this...this bike is just so well sorted...who knows...

I'd be up for a ride on the Crest, as I usually go up there a couple of times each week. Just for a change today, I went with a friend on this forum up GMR to Baldy Village, and then down SanGabriel Cyn. to Rte 39. Very nice ride, beautiful scenery, and lots of pretty tight blind turns. It was a nice change, but I always liked ACH the best.
Regarding the California 1400, I've never had a cruiser until I bought my Cali Vintage a few years back. You're right - it doesn't really handle like a normal cruiser (US or Japanese); but I like it most for trips. It is, after all, a bunch more pounds than most of the other bikes I own/owned. Every so often I think of selling it as I ride it less than I should, but then I take it up to Newcomb's and fall in love with it all over again.

Maybe Wrightwood, but I went there a couple of weeks ago and it was like running an obstacle course. I've never seen so many rocks in the road after the tunnels, and many of them were large enough to cause damage if hit. We took Mt. Emma road back.

If the weather holds, a run to Wrightwood could be fun. As stmike says, the road might be dirty -- it depends on whether (or when) the scraper has gone through... There's been drizzle here at my place today, and probably there was some light snow in the higher elevations. Bottom line, the best thing to do is to go at your own pace and stay very alert!

mohawkeye said:
the road might be dirty -- it depends on whether (or when) the scraper has gone through...

Just to back that up, I ran the Crest to Wrightwood a couple weeks ago and it was pretty bad east of the tunnels in quite a few spots, enough to cut back substantially on the fun-and then did it again a few days ago, and by & large it was pretty good, just a few short spots that made me slow down, nothing like the earlier ride. And I don't think there is going to be enough snow today/tomw to matter if you are talking about a ride Nov 16, unless another, bigger weather system comes through before then.

im guessing the roads will be clear by next Saturday. Can one of you guys more local to La Canada suggests a meeting spot. Should have a restroom. lol. I'm thinking 10 am will give those of traveling a bit to get there...

It was quite chilly early this morning, riding to Newcomb's; on the way down I didn't have to use any electricity in my jacket liner & gloves. Mid-day last Wednesday I and a couple of others rode from Newcomb's up to the turnout/lookout just past the tunnels. Nearer to the tunnels the hills had enough snow and (now) permanent shade for it to stick, and I'd had mild second thoughts on whether there was black ice or frost on that particular stretch of the Crest. There wasn't any, but it looked like there was. In any case, it was cold and blustery at the lookout, and we soon returned to Newcomb's and most of us rode straight home from there. If there's a decision to go ahead and ride to Wrightwood via the Crest next Saturday, I strongly suggest that those who have electric gear at least bring it along.

nokarbs said:
im guessing the roads will be clear by next Saturday. Can one of you guys more local to La Canada suggests a meeting spot. Should have a restroom. lol. I'm thinking 10 am will give those of traveling a bit to get there...

The standard meeting spot for going up the Crest is Jay's Shell, 4530 Angeles Crest Hwy, just above where ACH t's in to Foothill Blvd in La Canada Flintridge. North on fwy 2 from the 134, I-210 east then CA-2/Angeles Crest exit almost immediately, right at the end of the ramp and it is immediately there on the left. For shorthand we all call it "the La Canada Shell."

Looking at the weather forcasts, looks like it should be plenty warm enough between now & then to get any ice off the road, but if forecast is correct (good luck) should turn cold by the 16th, highs at Mt Wilson & Wrightwood low 50's, which means less than that at the high points. We can figure it out when it gets close enough for the forecasts to be meaningful.

I should be able to make it-though if it is as cold as predicted, not sure if I want to go all the way to Wrightwood.

[

I should be able to make it-though if it is as cold as predicted, not sure if I want to go all the way to Wrightwood.[/quote]

You're scaring me, discretion is the better part of valor. I'll be at the Shell for a 1000 departure...

Well, now that someone's actually committed to going ;) , I'll make a real attempt to go too! Weather should be good, but not as warm as it is now through Thursday. I'll be on a red Stelvio. Maybe we can have lunch in Wrightwood, or, at least Newcomb's.

"Weather should be good but not as warm..." Seems kind of an understatement to me. Sat forecast is for a HIGH of 48 at Mt Wilson (meaning Newcomb's roughly), 45 in Wrightwood. On the other hand, Sat high in Malibu (SMM) is 64. In as much as original thought was to do the SMM, switched to ACH before weather became clear, I'm wondering if a change of venue back to SMM might be in order. Nokarbs, this is your party so up to you.......

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to bail on this one. Riding up to the Central Coast this weekend. Have fun, guys!

Rain is now forecast…ughh can deal with chilly, not wet and cold in mountains…forecasts are changing daily. Will make the call tomorrow, Friday. Stopping at Newcombs is always a good option…

ciao

Forecast still calls for chance of rain tonight and tomorrow morning. Could be icy at 7000'. I'm gonna call off ACH. :cry: Back up is to ride in SMM. :) I will be at 76 at Sunset and PCH at 1000 for 1015 departure. Who's in. I'm guessing a couple of my local buds will join us. Who's in?

Back