• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dash problem

borch

Just got it firing!
Hi,
I am newbie - also here and in Guzzi world. I ride Stelvio 2008. And ... have a problem with dashboard. From time to time dash is frozen or completely dissapear or is mirrored etc. Also at the same time (just after dash dispappers) engine starts to work not smoothly, breaks. This uncomfortable and dangerous in my opinion. Unfortunately my workshop will have time for me next wednesday. Maybe it just problem with dash connector. I try to find it but the wires probably goes under battery or somewhere.
If know what to do firstly or you describe me where I can find the connector, please do.
Regards
Slawek

Poor running is almost certainly caused by the plug caps arcing to earth. Replace with NGK SBO5E caps. Dashboard going bad is most likely related to the speedometer sensor if the problem generally occurs after washing or during rain. Seal or replace wth new design sensor.

If your dealer is unaware of these issues I'd also ensure that your motor is not eligible for the cam/tappet recall or that it has been carried out prior to the purchase of your machine.

Pete

If Pete's correct, and he usually is you'll probably find the plug cap split on the elbow from the lead to the cap. Mine was shot so whilst waiting for a new one I simply taped up the lead and covered it in ignition sealant, the plastic setting stuff. These break frequently because people (ME) prise them off with a screw driver,the NGK SBO5E is the way to go but I replaced mine with the genuine article and am now very careful when removing the plug cap. As for the speedo that sounds worrying but again if it is the sensor at the rear wheel you can seal that too with ignition sealant, worked great for me.

Good luck & keep us informed

Ian

Thanks for your help.
Caps look fine. I bought my Stelvio last august with discount for model 2008 - 2 years in shop. So maybe problem is in waiting time for me so long:) I try to ask workshop if anything was done earlier - I mean factory advised repairs.
Regards
Slawek

Hi Slawek

You really need to make sure that the camshafts have been changed, good luck with everything else.

Ian

I will send VIN to workshop to go through MG database. Thanks for advice.
Slawek

Bad caps can make the dash do weird things. My caps looked fine but still had the same symptoms you describe so I taped up both caps at the elbow and it cured it. I am on my second set of OE caps and these are no better than the last set. I will be going with the ones mentioned shortly.
If the speedo sensor is bad it only affects the speed portion of the dash. I had that replaced too... added sealant to the new one when I installed it and so far is working fine despite riding through very heavy rain for multiple days.

Shrike said:
Bad caps can make the dash do weird things. My caps looked fine but still had the same symptoms you describe so I taped up both caps at the elbow and it cured it. I am on my second set of OE caps and these are no better than the last set. I will be going with the ones mentioned shortly.

I 'd go for tapeing the caps up around the elbow, it's got to be worth a try

It was worth to try. Right cap, inner side of elbow. I found signs of thunderbolts on the cylinder cover.
Evening I will check. Left was OK but I isolated also.
Thanks

Just returned and works excellent. Thanks for advice. No brakes of engine, no crazy dash, no annoying tearing. Just smooth as before, if it is correct word to describe that engine.
Thanks one more time. Next week I have maintenance and clarify everything.
Slawek

borch said:
Just returned and works excellent. Thanks for advice. No brakes of engine, no crazy dash, no annoying tearing. Just smooth as before, if it is correct word to describe that engine.
Thanks one more time. Next week I have maintenance and clarify everything.
Slawek

Excellent, told you Mr Roper was usually correct.

Ciao

Back