• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Daytona RS register

mathieu

Just got it firing!
Hi ,
i introduce myself , i'm Mathieu from France, to the " les Amis Guzzistes " club ( lesamissguzzistes.fr )

I try to collect all the daytona RS on a facebook group ( facebook.com/groups/786014258185294/ )

Thank's all ;)

Hi Mathieu
Does this one count?I guess not.
It was a Centauro that i turned into a Daytona looking thing.Inspired by the RS that i could never find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 23
AWSOME!
In the throes of buying a Centauro, & have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing.
Had a Daytona once but my memory tells me it wasn't as torquey as my 1100 Sport but I know they buit the Centauro for more torque using the Daytona cams but maybe it's in the CPU re mapping.
Did you change the gearing at all.?

G,day Bigbear
I always lusted after a Daytona RS but either couldnt find one or afford it when i did.
This turned out to be a cheaper option and a better bike in some ways for the road.
It doesnt put out as much torque as an 1100 because it is a smaller capacity engine.
However the Centauro motor has different cams to the RS.B cams instead of C cams i think limiting power to a claimed 93 instead of 102.They have less duration which moves the power and torque curve lower in the rev range,making it easier to access the available power.
The gearbox ratios are different making it easier to ride on the street.Lower first and maybe second.I think third is the same and fourth and fifth are lower.This makes the bike more civil on the street but limits the top speed to around 220.
This makes it easier to take off in first and get into the real power which is between 5-8000 rpm.It has decent torque below 5000 but no match for the S1100.But it accellerates with much more urgency above 5000.
The bevel gearing is standard at 7/33 i believe.

Mine has a Creedon chip and will rev to 9000,but there is little point as the power tapers off around 8000.
The big advantage mine has is i have been able to build it lighter by fabricating my own subframe,fairing bracket and lightening many parts.It is around 20kg lighter than an RS.
I never did like the seat cowl of the RS so i fitted a honda unit.Tank is Daytona,fairing Sport 1100,Mufflers off a Triumph,Buell clipons,R1 front guard,honda mirrors and many homemade parts including gearshifter,brake pedal etc...

I fitted heavier springs up front and revalved the shock softer.
I believe it is an easier more practicle bike for the road,than an RS and still capable of kicking some japbike butt on the track.
I wish it had a taller fifth gear though to keep the cruising revs down a bit and allow a bit more speed.
Good luck with your project.

Hi Mathieu
Does this one count?I guess not.
It was a Centauro that i turned into a Daytona looking thing.Inspired by the RS that i could never find.
that looks a great bike and from the track photo goes well to:clap:

72347318.jpg

My 97 before I installed the new crossover. I recently picked up a Staintune header,crossover and left muffler. Looking for a right muffler in reasonably good shape.
4ccf16b5.jpg

And with the Euro headlight.

G,day Bigbear
I always lusted after a Daytona RS but either couldnt find one or afford it when i did.
This turned out to be a cheaper option and a better bike in some ways for the road.
It doesnt put out as much torque as an 1100 because it is a smaller capacity engine.
However the Centauro motor has different cams to the RS.B cams instead of C cams i think limiting power to a claimed 93 instead of 102.They have less duration which moves the power and torque curve lower in the rev range,making it easier to access the available power.
The gearbox ratios are different making it easier to ride on the street.Lower first and maybe second.I think third is the same and fourth and fifth are lower.This makes the bike more civil on the street but limits the top speed to around 220.
This makes it easier to take off in first and get into the real power which is between 5-8000 rpm.It has decent torque below 5000 but no match for the S1100.But it accellerates with much more urgency above 5000.
The bevel gearing is standard at 7/33 i believe.

Mine has a Creedon chip and will rev to 9000,but there is little point as the power tapers off around 8000.
The big advantage mine has is i have been able to build it lighter by fabricating my own subframe,fairing bracket and lightening many parts.It is around 20kg lighter than an RS.
I never did like the seat cowl of the RS so i fitted a honda unit.Tank is Daytona,fairing Sport 1100,Mufflers off a Triumph,Buell clipons,R1 front guard,honda mirrors and many homemade parts including gearshifter,brake pedal etc...

I fitted heavier springs up front and revalved the shock softer.
I believe it is an easier more practicle bike for the road,than an RS and still capable of kicking some japbike butt on the track.
I wish it had a taller fifth gear though to keep the cruising revs down a bit and allow a bit more speed.
Good luck with your project.
Gidday Shrek,
Hey thanx for the all info, you've made a great bike & its got me going now.
Already I'm formulating plans to do a Dr John conversion on the sport (full fairing), & the donor body parts will naturally fall onto the Centauro (with a few mods); unless a donor sport comes up with panels & tank.
I have another little sidelined project, two 12V 3phase ducted fans for the inlet tracks of the Sport (adjustable to 80,000rpm), but since she has no flatspot after much needle/jets/tuning, will put aside for the RS lookalike maybe?
In any case I want to keep my licence so going over 200Kmh on public roads is not really an issue, although in saying when opportunity arises I would always check my LM MK5's could do so - you know just to see if the tuning was good at max throttle :)
Keep up the good work

Thanks Johno.
Beautiful Daytona Blackcat.Thats what i always lusted after.
Nice Quintet.
Bigbear,
Interestingly,i tried a similiar experiment on my Lemans 1000.
Ram air apparently helps many bikes topend performance so why not my Lemon?
I fabricated a 100mm inlet tract for the std airbox.
I then ran 100mm silicone hose from the front of the airbox,through the motors V and poked it out through the Tonti down tubes just behind the forks.
This obviously did pressurerise the airbox a fair bit as it now wouldnt run at speed when i opened the throttle.It would run with minor throttle openings but just bog down when i opened it up.
I tried many combinations of biigger atomizor and main jets to no avail.
It could probably have been tuned out,maybe,but i gave up and just fitted an 1100 motor and love it now.
I still have the 100mm inlet pipe which is shortened back to behind the frame rails and works fine.
Good luck with your projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Johno.
Beautiful Daytona Blackcat.Thats what i always lusted after.
Nice Quintet.
Bigbear,
Interestingly,i tried a similiar experiment on my Lemans 1000.
Ram air apparently helps many bikes topend performance so why not my Lemon?
I fabricated a 100mm inlet tract for the std airbox.
I then ran 100mm silicone hose from the front of the airbox,through the motors V and poked it out through the Tonti down tubes just behind the forks.
This obviously did pressurerise the airbox a fair bit as it now wouldnt run at speed when i opened the throttle.It would run with minor throttle openings but just bog down when i opened it up.
I tried many combinations of biigger atomizor and main jets to no avail.
It could probably have been tuned out,maybe,but i gave up and just fitted an 1100 motor and love it now.
I still have the 100mm inlet pipe which is shortened back to behind the frame rails and works fine.
Good luck with your projects.
Very interesting Shrek.
When I had my S.E. Red/ white Mk5, I did a bit of fiddling ( as I'm prone to do), & decided the standard snorkel intake between the cylinders was too restrictive & removed it. Subsequently it had that awsome induction roar on full throttle, but I also saw 235km on the standard speedo whist two up, & it was still pulling but I throttled off at that stage for safety's sake. All the other Mk5's prior, and the low mileage one I just sold with tuned dunstall megaphones only managed about 200km and ran out of puff - coincidence?
Maybe the fact that it could "gulp" more air, since there was no ram tube, rather than be ram charged helped.?
The 1100 on the other hand pulls so strongly through to 120mph that I have yet to find a stretch of quiet road to even contemplate finding its top limit, so I'm sure it's designed ram airbox does help the top end with W.O.T. ( wide open throttle) as Dr John says.
Also wonder if anyone has dynoed their after market exhaust collector since he claims the S.S. collector they designed made more H.P. Than many of the engine mods.
Have just bought one & will try on the 1100 to see for myself.
Missed an 1100 powered Tonti on eBay a little while ago on eBay ex USA that was well done with 2into 1 headers and single exhaust and semi megaphone, hence the change in direction to the Centauro.
Will be off now for 3 weeks Holiday, so Merry Christmas to all - keep up the good work
Bigbear

Conincidence?I dont know.
My std Lemans V would pull an indicated 220km/h and 230 with pipes.
Although the speedo lies and is probably closer to 215km/h.
My std 2001 Cali pulls an indicated 200 two up.
My very healthy 4 valve Centona(with atleast 20hp more)only pulls an indicated 220 km/h.With taller gearing it would probably reach 230 plus?
I fitted a std Cali 1100 motor to the Lemans with 10 less hp on paper and it still pulls an indicated 220.
But it eats the big valve,port,cam 950 motor from 2500-6500 revs where it counts in the real world on the road.
My point is that all well tuned Guzzis are capable of 200 plus(except maybe some earlier cooking models) and even a well tuned Daytona is only good for around 240.
So,for me atleast,i have stopped looking for maximum power/speed and have learned to appreciate what Guzzi,s were designed to do best.Enjoy that awesome relaxed long legged momentum that captures your soul,no matter how many revs are dialled up.
Appreciate what every Guzzi motor does so well.If you keep it set up properly it will surprise many modern,faster machines at real world speeds on the right road.
And will do it with that charming charisma that only we understand and appreciate.

Happy new Year.
Yes I agree it's the long legged mile eating ability of the Guzzi with abundance of torque and thudding heart that endear many a Guzzi rider, and as you mention, in the real world iout on the road is where It all happens.
I missed out on a well engineered Tonti framed bike with 1100 engine as a stressed member, two into one headers, fabulous custom muffler, that looked the ideal road riders machine despite being built for the track, & the owners own admission of it being the best of both worlds, old & new for a Guzzi.
I have always found a Mk5 able to surprise in the real world as you put it, both crusing & handling abilities, further reinforced when I nearly threw my sport away on a well traversed winding lakeside road that the Mk5 regularly plied at an unfussed speed regardless of any corner.
I have also seen my mate on his 750 sport leave many In a similar fashion on his own familiar patch of country road.
I was loathe to customise the Mk5 I imported with only 18000 miles hence to the move to the Centauro which I will now swap my 1100 sports bodywork.
I have already purchased a full fairing to start the conversion of the 1100 into a Dr John replica so I know I won't be bored this winter.

Hi Blackcat,
Did u find another Staintune muffler?
My 1100 had a Mistral crossover but normal cans & is so quiet, but I put an original crossover back on & it actually runs far smoother especially at startup.
I have bought a Centauro that has a full Staintune exhaust but its crossover must be far better than the Mistral ( it runs side by side not one over the other with engine exhaust pulses facing each other like the Mistral) & this bike runs very smooth with no flat spots & has an awesome sound.
Your steed looks smashing ;)

Hello everyone. I just joined the group. I sold a black 97, 1100i about 8 years ago and soon realized that I had made a mistake. I have been looking for a really clean, low mileage 1100i to replace mine and then this RS popped up. I didn't waste any time grabbing it. Pretty neat bike and of course, not without its "character flaws". I'll be researching any tuning tips for these, so if anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears. I know that it will never run like my sons BMW, S1000RR and I'm absolutely fine with that, but I can't help but think it COULD run a bit better. I'm looking forward to gleaning any information from you all. Best wishes...

Back