• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dead battery, or?

wissing

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
So, Wednesday I came home after short trip back from work. In the garage I cut the engine by putting down the kick-stand but let the key be in the 'on' position. After a few seconds I noticed that the front ligth went off - not a gradual fade but like turned off. I was in hurry and did not think more about it. Untill Saturday when I found the bike to be completely and utterly dead without even light in the dashboard.

Today after 12 hours on the charger the bike could be started, however a little reluctantly. The charger's leds indicated that it was still charging and had not yet reached 80%. Before starting the engine, the dashboard voltage reading was 11.4, when driving it showed 13.9-14.1, and when parked after the drive 12.1.

Now, what s this about? And what should be done?

I don't know if this issue could be related to a visit to my dealer 10 days ago. The visit was for warranty work on cross over pipes and sealing of headlamp. As part of the workshop's routine, the bike was linked up to PAD and the ECU was acting funny, showing an unknown error and showing crazy readings like 3 mio miles on odometer. After consultation with Piaggo, the ECU was exchanged on the spot with an ECU from a mashine in the show room. Until Wednesday everthing apperard normal and during my short ride this afternoon i did not notice anything unusual.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frank

My Tour is 2 years old this month. I just changed my battery as it would not hold a charge over 12.8 and dropped to 12.2 almost immediatly after turning the key on. I charged it every couple weeks over the winter but it still cranked slowly when I first started it and took several tries at the gas station when I filled up. I had already cleaned both ends of the ground cable and hit both cables with DeOx and battery terminal sealer.

So, Wednesday I came home after short trip back from work. In the garage I cut the engine by putting down the kick-stand but let the key be in the 'on' position. After a few seconds I noticed that the front ligth went off - not a gradual fade but like turned off. I was in hurry and did not think more about it. Untill Saturday when I found the bike to be completely and utterly dead without even light in the dashboard.

Today after 12 hours on the charger the bike could be started, however a little reluctantly. The charger's leds indicated that it was still charging and had not yet reached 80%. Before starting the engine, the dashboard voltage reading was 11.4, when driving it showed 13.9-14.1, and when parked after the drive 12.1.

Now, what s this about? And what should be done?

I don't know if this issue could be related to a visit to my dealer 10 days ago. The visit was for warranty work on cross over pipes and sealing of headlamp. As part of the workshop's routine, the bike was linked up to PAD and the ECU was acting funny, showing an unknown error and showing crazy readings like 3 mio miles on odometer. After consultation with Piaggo, the ECU was exchanged on the spot with an ECU from a mashine in the show room. Until Wednesday everthing apperard normal and during my short ride this afternoon i did not notice anything unusual.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frank
According to your post, you didn't turn the key to off. That would kill your battery. It may recover and be fine, then again it may not.

Thanks for you replies, Rudy and John. What really puzzles me is that the lights died instantly after a few seconds that Wednesday evening. Can a battery die like that? I would expect a more gradual decline but then again, I don't know much about batteries.

Could be the light logic in the ECU. The engine wasn't running, so headlight off. I'm not positive on this, but it is all I could think of.

I don't know if it kills the lights but if the battery drops below a certain voltage it will refuse to even attempt to start. I have seen batteries die in strange ways.

Back