• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dead Breva 750 in Costa Rica

planebones

Just got it firing!
I have a chance to buy a 2007 Breva 750 that owner says has a dead ECU And won’t run.
There are less than 10 Guzzis in the whole country and no tuning / diagnostic equipment that I can find. I am an idiot to buy it and hope that I can find the problem?

Welcome, if you want to mess with it there are a few M15RC ECU's that are made for that model on ebay here in States. Just looked, for around just under $400 .

Honestly, unless you don't mind wrenching your own bike and lots of down time waiting for parts, I'd stick to a mainstream bike like a Honda.
We have been seriously considering retiring to CR in the very near future. If we do I'll be selling my Norge and getting a light ADV bike. There are not enough good paved roads in CR but thousands of fun dirt roads to explore.

P.S. Where in CR are you? We're thinking of Guanacaste for a potential home. Lake Arenal perhaps.

Last edited:
Honestly, unless you don't mind wrenching your own bike and lots of down time waiting for parts, I'd stick to a mainstream bike like a Honda.
We have been seriously considering retiring to CR in the very near future. If we do I'll be selling my Norge and getting a light ADV bike. There are not enough good paved roads in CR but thousands of fun dirt roads to explore.

P.S. Where in CR are you? We're thinking of Guanacaste for a potential home. Lake Arenal perhaps.
Greetings Raven: We live in playa Carrillo near Samara Guanacaste. If I can be of any help let me know….We escape Wyoming winters here. I used to have a 75 Eldorado…have been wanting a modern Guzzi. All vehicles are very expensive here and it is hard to get parts…..easiest to have friends bring them from the US. I am a retired Helicopter mechanic, & enjoy tinkering.

Welcome, if you want to mess with it there are a few M15RC ECU's that are made for that model on ebay here in States. Just looked, for around just under $400 .
Thanks…..would a used one work “plug &play”. Or would I need the $500 tuning box.

They are plug & play but for major components replaced you are to do some resets w/software so it all works together. There is also the dash that is same as V7C but changed to a different one. That means you are better to get one for a Breva than a V7C of same years. They have to work together.

Thanks…..would a used one work “plug &play”. Or would I need the $500 tuning box.
Thanks for listing your work experience. I would say NEVER trust an owner about the problems with the bike. Especially one that just wants to sell his headache. *IF* it's only the ECU (not likely as they are pretty bulletproof - it could be a myriad of things like a cam sensor also), it is plug and play outside of the TPS reset, which does take some electronic integration. I would only buy it knowing it may take upward of US$1500 to get going properly, not knowing what else might be wrong with it. Any pics?

Did the original owner happen to mention how he knows it need an ECU ? As has been mentioned
earlier , those things are pretty dependable across the industry . Peter

Would the Guzzi tech $550 box be my best investment for troubleshooting……like it will indicate that TPS or crank sensor signals are bad? The breva 750 owner says “a professional moto mechanic says computer is the problem”……. Thanks Ken

Would the Guzzi tech $550 box be my best investment for troubleshooting……like it will indicate that TPS or crank sensor signals are bad? The breva 750 owner says “a professional moto mechanic says computer is the problem”
The flash tool can show you error codes, but unfortunately cannot reset the TPS. It is mostly used for ECU data movement. Once there was a commercially supported Diag software for your bike; However, it’s no longer offered because a freeware killed that business. I do not allow discussion on it here, though there is a thread in the main section as to why.
As to the “professional mechanic” - I would ask to call them and have them stand by those words. Otherwise they are just words.

It's unfortunate that when a problem arises that someone can't isolate , the response is to blame an electrical component that isn't easy to verify and hope the vehicle just goes away . Too many years in the trade and seeing the consequences of inexperienced staff doing this same thing. Good Luck.
Peter

I would get the bike if it was cheap enough. Not running maybe $1500 or less. You can do a lot w/multimeter on checking sensors. Info is in the manual. Are there any Ducati dealers around? Some of their models have same ECU.

I would get the bike if it was cheap enough. Not running maybe $1500 or less. You can do a lot w/multimeter on checking sensors. Info is in the manual. Are there any Ducati dealers around? Some of their models have same ECU.
Hey Steve……thanks for the advice: I offered $2k……than found he had not paid the mandatory tax/ liability insurance for 3 years ……around $700……so the deal may go bust. In Costa Rica there are thousand of vehicles parked because they owe back fees and there is no forgiveness.…and “Transito” Will capture your bike (save for the hefty backhander). A gringo brought a 75 idrovert down 15 years ago in a box but never legally imported it……all the fees and lawyer work needed has discouraged me from the project Even though I like the old points/ carburetor era of guzzis

Back