• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Deciding on a Stelvio

blackdog

Just got it firing!
Hello all: Am trying to decide if I deserve a brand new old 2009 Stelvio. Base unit with no luggage, ABS, or heated grips. But the price is right. It is the 8V engine. I also own a 2008 1200 Sport with the 2V engine.
Looking for your inputs: What would the Stelvio give me over the 1200Sport ? What size fuel tank on this Stelvio and expected range in km? Is there a noticable difference in the 2v and 8v engines?
Thanks for your comments.

Blackdog;

I've got a 2V 2001 V11 Sport and a 2013 Stelvio. I've ridden the 1200 Sport, and I think my 2001 was as fast, or faster. When the 1200 Sport was released, I thought Guzzi had answered my prayers, but I didn't really care for it after a ride - slightly more comfortable than the V11, but the handling wasn't as sharp. I've also ridden a Stelvio like the 2009 you are looking at, and think it is a better bike. I only have 75 miles on my '13 (damn you, Minnesota winter!), and the computer is showing 36 MPG. Go for it.

I just purchased a new 2009 Stelvio abt two weeks ago (I'm at the 200 mile mark). I traded in by 2000 V11 sport.

I probably asked the same questions you have going through mind... short version is I am very happy with it. It's more comfortable, faster and better mpg than the V11. The $6000 savings is a bonus.

I have a 2009 Stelvio, purchased new that year. I have found it to be the best all-round motorcycle I have owned, and I have had a number over the past 42 years. It has plenty of power, handles superbly, and is very comfortable. Although (in my opinion) it is too big and heavy to be a true off-road bike, it handles dirt roads, gravel roads, and fire roads with aplomb. I love the beast.
Cheers,
Bruce

I bought one last year, a 2009 without ABS. I've had a lot of Bikes and the last one was a K1200RS but if you like a bike with superior handling & character you must buy it. Its a great bike!
It gives so much feed back that you will fall in love with it.

BravoBravo said:
I have a 2009 Stelvio, purchased new that year. I have found it to be the best all-round motorcycle I have owned, and I have had a number over the past 42 years. It has plenty of power, handles superbly, and is very comfortable. Although (in my opinion) it is too big and heavy to be a true off-road bike, it handles dirt roads, gravel roads, and fire roads with aplomb. I love the beast.
Cheers,
Bruce

+1

Blackdog...

Why is it that you are attracted to the Stelvio? What do YOU think it will offer you over your Sport?

The 09 is not the BIG tank. You must know that already? Range should be easy to find with a search, don't have that info as I don't own the 09.

I can comment on the 8v vrs 4V engine but only with regard to a 13 which has different cams and tune than the 09. The 8v has more grunt, especially at higher speed. The new engine is quieter than my Griso 1100 but the 09 engine may not be.

What I got with the Stelvio that I didn't have with the Griso 1100 is easy setting of rear preload, a much better bike two up, better brakes as the Griso rear was too easy to lock up, excellent luggage, more wind protection, better handling, the ability to enjoy rough and unsurfaced roads with more compliant suspension.

I wanted a bike that was better to tour on but desired the engine characteristics and handling of my sporty Griso. That's what I got.

Vivo

Xcellent. Thanks for all your replies. I suppose I am after a sporty touring unit. Didn;t really want a Norge- too much like the 1200Sport with windscreen and skins. So the Stelvio would be a bit of a change. That's where the questions about highway practicability come in.
I would keep both bikes, if....

I have a 2009 and the range is about 280 km to a tank (300 km empty) that's 175 mi and 185 mi if you prefer. That is the 18 litre tank of course. For touring I have the Euro bags which I prefer but you'd have to bring them in yourself as Guzzi NA doesn't stock them, lots of other options with GIVI etc. Can't speak to the comparison to your current machine but I've found the Stelvio to be a fantastic sport tourer with good wind protection and can handle gravel roads as well. I'd agree that it's not suited for off road (unless you're He-man!)

I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2012 Stelvio.

Are there ANY reasons that a 2013 would be worth ~$1k or so more for?

The only differences I can find are;

1. The slight change in bodywork in the front (I like the 2012 version better)

2. The Trax boxes were updated with better lid sealing and latches sometime in 2012-2013 (I like the updated version better) The one I'm looking at has the earlier version with wire latches.

I am not aware of any other changes. If you know of any PLEASE post them up.

Also, has anybody found a quick detach version of SW-Motech racks (the stock racks for current Stelvios) for the Trax boxes? I have these on my Vstrom and love 'em, but I can't find ANY for the Stelvio. I'd really like to be able to remove the racks easily. I saw an '09 Stelvio over the weekend with the old style bag mounts, I like them better, the bike looks so much cleaner without the bags on with that setup.

I'm not sure how much you are saving over a 2013 - I think the answer is how long you are likely to keep it. It is the same bike, so if you had it less than 3-4 years, you will be taking a bigger hit on the depreciation selling a 2012 early. I know about the difference in the bags (NOT worth $1K more for the 2013) - what's the difference in the front end? I have a 2013, and it looks just like a 2012 to me.

Can't help you on the racks. I know a big ADvbike is supposed to have the aluminum bags, but I wish I could just mount my Givi E36's - larger, more convenient, lighter.

rhip said:
... what's the difference in the front end? I have a 2013, and it looks just like a 2012 to me.

Thanks for the feedback rhip. I'm wondering about the "real" savings also in the larger scope of things. I do plan to keep the bike ~10 years or so. I'm more concerned with "capturing" any improvements rather than depreciation etc.

Can you verify if your 2013 has the roller tappets or not? That would be a much bigger incentive for me. Can ANYBODY tell me for certain when and if the roller tappets have been instituted on the Stelvio? It seems to be a subject shrouded in great mystery.

Here's the small difference in the bodywork on the front end. On the 2013 they reduced the amount of color and made more of it black. It's not a huge deal but I like the '12 a little better. I don't think it's any deal breaker only a difference. I suspect I could have the black portion painted to match the tank color on the 2013 if I wanted to make it look the same. I realize this stock photo is a Euro model but the pix from US owners I've seen appear the same except for those nice integrated turn signals.

Danketchpel, thanks for providing me with confirmation that the Stelvio I bought in January is, indeed, a 2013. Personally, I think the extra black on the front bodywork looks just fine - a matter of taste, but I hate to think what painting that little extra bit of plastic will run you - and if it will match the factory color.

As for the more important issue of the roller tappets - I don't have any idea if my bike has them, won't know until I get it in for it's initial service, and with another 6" of snow predicted for us, that date is getting pushed off ever farther down the road.

Maybe Dave Roper or our humble moderator has an answer on the conversion start-up, but from what I have seen with Guzzi, it wouldn't surprise me if they just started installing them whenever they used up what they had in inventory. My 2001 Rosso Mandello is a bit like that - part of the frame from the first V11 Sport, change in the number of clutchplates, etc. - it was (I think ) all model-specific to the RM, but a transition that did not waste any parts on hand. And with Guzzi longevity, I don't think it would be a decisive factor in my decision on which bike to buy. Again, you cannot go wrong with either one. Let us know what you decide!

Its been reported that the 13 Stelvio does in facr have roller lifters. More info if you do a search.

Vivo

vivo said:
Its been reported that the 13 Stelvio does in fact have roller lifters. More info if you do a search.

Vivo

I did do quite an extensive search including translating a page from Spanish. It's just that I didn't see conclusive evidence of when and if the U.S. 2013 Stelvios had the roller tappets. I was simply hoping somebody with a 2013 could post up for certain that their bike did indeed have rollers. It seems there are some reference engine #s on WG so maybe it's documented?

I think this is the most significant update from 2012 to 2013.

I can't believe there is not a twenty thirteen owner out there that can't answer this question. Comeon guys! Someone has had their valve covers off. Surely! On the other hand, I inquired into this question some months back, asking Steve, the tech at the Tuscon dealer. And he said that, at least the one sitting on his floor, definitely did not have them.
And, again, Todd has told me that if there is anyone in the LA/Malibu area with one, to get ahold of him and pay a visit. He would love to know not only that but whether there has been any change to the stock ECU map.

Toadride said:
I can't believe there is not a twenty thirteen owner out there that can't answer this question. Comeon guys! Someone has had their valve covers off. Surely!
Precisely, come 'on you 2013 owners, somebody can pop one of those covers and tell us for sure if there's rollers in there. If I had one I'd make a bee line for the garage and find out, it's super easy.

Toadride said:
On the other hand, I inquired into this question some months back, asking Steve, the tech at the Tuscon dealer. And he said that, at least the one sitting on his floor, definitely did not have them.
And, again, Todd has told me that if there is anyone in the LA/Malibu area with one, to get ahold of him and pay a visit. He would love to know not only that but whether there has been any change to the stock ECU map.
I have been in contact with Todd, there is no definite answer right now, just "after engine number AC12596 03/12/2012 they "should" have rollers", but no confirmation from owners of 2013 bikes. I saw the pix Pete Roper posted up from his Norge being opened up at Rider's Hill, that's about as close as I can come to factual info, and it's still not a Stelvio.

Back