Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Dellorto VHB30 850T carb swap Please help.

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by patanga, Feb 27, 2013.

1. patanga

patanga Just got it firing!

Hi there. I have a pair of Dellorto VHB30 carbs that I believe suit the 850T models. My question to those who are familiar with this carb design is were they a good carb in terms of tuneability, reliability, power and serviceability?.

I have been told that the Dellorto round slide types were better but I have no working knowledge of both to be able to compare between the two.

My objective is to adapt the VHB30's to an 800cc BMW Airhead motor and replace the existing 32mm bing carbs. The bings work fine but I'm hoping that the Dellorto's might develop more power and a faster response. I know that certainly the round slide Dellorto's made the BM 90S go harder, but will the VHB30's deliver improved performance over the bings is the question? :?:

2. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

They came on the T-3, G-5, early SP and CX.

You'll probably get a little more low end grunt because of they're narrower. Gas mileage will probably suffer. Recently found out that the accelerator pump is no longer available, these eventually wear out.

I replaced the VHBs with PHFs on my T-3 a while back, they seem to make the bike accelerate faster but can't be sure cause it was so long ago and I did a hand full of other mods too.

For improved performance you can alway swap out the engine for a transverse V-twin. :lol: :lol:

good luck on your project.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You can't make the BMW a fast bike. Dellorto carbs were used on the R90s, but to put them on the 800 is kind of a waste of time and effort. Stick with the Bings. They aren't great, but the bike is designed for them. Granted the Bings aren't terrific, but the effort you would have to expend to mount and cable the carbs would far exceed the value of the end result.

4. patanga

Appreciate the reply. Happy with the boxer as it is thanks, but between you and me I've always fancied adding an MG in the mix as well.

5. patanga

I like the way the 90S Dellorto's snap into life compared to the bings, but other than taking the mickey by adapting the T3 carbs and to raise a few eye brows I wasn't aiming at a "fast bike" outcome. That said if the fit didn't really improve throttle response then there's not much point either. The bings are a great all round carb and for touring and altitude self compensation they are excellent. I'll stick with the bings then. Anyone chasing a clean pair of VH30's?

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If you don't intend to keep the carbs, you could post them in the classified section.

7. ARVENO

ARVENO Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi
    the dell'orto on the 90S were 36 mm . ( that bike was faster not only because the carbs but the whole engine was different from the R80 )

Bing carbs are "GREAT ", I mean , they are CV carbs and they adjust their self from sea lever to mountain level .

Later R80 bings work better than the early one .

The only thing you should do to a R80 is install a R100 kit sold by "siebenrock"
    Other than that, don't waist your time.... it does not worth :) , don't ask me how i know it...LOL !
    regards
    Marco

8. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

A friend of mine is. I'll PM you.

9. Mc Tool

Mc Tool Tuned and Synch'ed

I have an 850T and have sometimes wondered about the 30 vhb's performance ( that is how well they do their job not how fast the bike goes ) . I have rekitted mine and it starts well every time , not sure about economy , no leaks . I have thought about fitting some cv's but in the end couldnt be bothered %ucking about with jets . Its quicker than my R80 off the mark , and , in my humble opinion , if your after neck snapping throttle response your on the wrong bike no matter what carbs you stick on it
    Hamish