• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Didn't Get to Paw Paw

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
So, Kathi, out of the blue today, said , “Let’s go for a ride, Bill.”

Hmmmmm. My mind raced. She wants to fly out to visit grandbabies in Seattle or at Fort Bragg? A Disney cruise? OMG. :think:

But, she is not like me, and would not just “accidentally” drive by the Kubota dealer on the day some new models are delivered. ;)

So, this was just a carpe diem, joie de vivre sort of genuine pursuit of happiness on her part. I really don't deserve her, and am ever-grateful she doesn’t know it. :inlove:

Unlike the sunny and warm day the TWC astrologers had predicted, today turned out warm in degrees but cold in feel, as blustery gusts and cloud cover made it seem in the 40’s rather than 60’s it was.

This was a mini-trip, hardly worth, I suppose, a “ride report,” but it was fun, so it gets one anyway. The Norge, too, at almost 11 years and 70K (other Guzzi's ate their share of miles in that time, too) remains a joy.

We didn’t go far, only 110 miles, but these were nearly all on rock & rolling roads and the foliage, while muted compared to past years, was still grand. Only had one self-inflicted “OMG, we’re gonna die!” moment, but the Norge has more poise and competence than I, and Kathi is the perfect pillion, so only I really knew how close that might have been.

Otherwise, it was a grand if modest little romp. The route appears in the maps, below, with the larger only to show the “big picture” for those who’ve never heard of Largent, Paw Paw, Shang Hai, and the like.

A set of W.V. thugs in a pickup were tailgating asshats at the outset :swear:, but I waved ‘em by, and that was about all there was of traffic for the rest of the trip. Retirement has made it possible for us to see that midday on a weekday means that back roads are pretty much deserted playgrounds.

Stopped for hot beverage warm-ups in Berkeley Springs, then headed off to Paw Paw and wherever after that.

We would have made a larger loop, but had to backtrack when we ran into road construction just north of Largent, but the reverse run back to Berkeley Springs along the rushing Cacapon, followed by the high ridge road of Winchester Grade almost to home made Kathi pound my back to ensure I saw this view and that. I mostly didn’t as I was focused on playing the lines, watching for deer, and otherwise keeping two contact patches in place.

So, that’s that. Hope she gets in that mood again soon. :)

Here’s the route: https://goo.gl/maps/NaU3NmVNgSz

And the maps:

i-XqnfnMr-L.png

i-8FSW44s-L.png

And a few pix:

i-76Vz9Wc-L.jpg

i-bn3vSzb-L.jpg

i-Rp72MZP-L.jpg

i-ncV9RMB-L.jpg

i-g4TXjTf-L.jpg

Bill

[Edited to amend route on maps. Yes, I know no one cares. ;) Still, aside from my OCD issues, I had noticed that Google maps "corrected" my route to head straight down U.S. 522 :snooze:, rather than Winchester Grade Road :clap:on the way back home.]

Last edited:
I was just north of you by Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, Cass, Weston, Helvetia all in WV last Sunday to Wednesday. Problem is it takes me 1 day each way to get to those beautiful roads and you have them out your front door.

Route 9 is nice, especially west of Berkley Springs.
If you make it to Paw Paw, you can head up into Maryland (it becomes route 51). Then turn right on Cresap Mill Rd, and them work your way up to US 144 / Flintstone. From there, if you head a few miles west on 144 there is Puccini's, a great place to eat. Excellent brick oven pizza and other things.
You can also get there by going through Cumberland, but I prefer the back roads mentioned.
Since we seem to live not so far from each other maybe we need to have a group event some day, perhaps at Puccini's (that is around an hour and a half ride from us in Clear Spring).

Eastern Ohio also has some great roads, although we have had some issues with the construction messing up what was great roads.

I was just north of you by Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, Cass, Weston, Helvetia all in WV last Sunday to Wednesday. Problem is it takes me 1 day each way to get to those beautiful roads and you have them out your front door.

Understand. When I lived in Atlanta, the Georgia, Tenn., and N.C. mountains were "nearby," but traffic often made the out- and inbound last 70 or so miles painful. My brother is "up there" right now on the Cherohala before enduring the slog into downtown. As you say, for me now, it's a right turn to roads that many only dream about. Stop by if ever near.

Route 9 is nice, especially west of Berkley Springs.
If you make it to Paw Paw, you can head up into Maryland (it becomes route 51). Then turn right on Cresap Mill Rd, and them work your way up to US 144 / Flintstone. From there, if you head a few miles west on 144 there is Puccini's, a great place to eat. Excellent brick oven pizza and other things.
You can also get there by going through Cumberland, but I prefer the back roads mentioned.
Since we seem to live not so far from each other maybe we need to have a group event some day, perhaps at Puccini's (that is around an hour and a half ride from us in Clear Spring).

Eastern Ohio also has some great roads, although we have had some issues with the construction messing up what was great roads.

Kathi and/or I frequent those roads you mention on the Guzzi's (well, she won;t ride the Griso! ;)) or in the Mini. Great stuff.

And, while we, too, prefer 9 west of Berkeley Springs, one can, as I am sure you know, do some serious roll-out leaning on several curves between Hedgesville and Berkeley Springs.

A get-together sounds mighty fine, as does Puccini's. Assume you mean this place: http://puccinirestaurant.com

Never been there, but always willing. :clap:

In the next few days -- haven't decided which; heck, mebbe several as Kathi is visiting some grands at Fort Bragg :rofl: -- will likely do something like this on the Griso:

i-b8BJ57n-L.png

https://goo.gl/maps/GhnT7We2qYr

That said, as we all know, that is the plan but reality may call me to other roads and that's all good. :D

Bill

From where we are we do a loop that takes us on rt 68 east to Williamsport, down route 11, rt 901 west to 9 west (yes, 9 west of Martinsburg is nice), out to Paw Paw. Then up into Md and back east on Alt 40 and rt 144 through Hancock (another great restaurant, Buddy Lou's) and back to Clear Spring. Puccini's is great (yes, that is them), there is also a Dairy Queen just as you are getting into Cumberland on rt 51 and that is another common stop for us.
I am not sure there are that many riding days left this year for us. We don't have as much free time as we would like to take advantage of nice days.

From where we are we do a loop that takes us on rt 68 east to Williamsport, down route 11, rt 901 west to 9 west (yes, 9 west of Martinsburg is nice), out to Paw Paw. Then up into Md and back east on Alt 40 and rt 144 through Hancock (another great restaurant, Buddy Lou's) and back to Clear Spring. Puccini's is great (yes, that is them), there is also a Dairy Queen just as you are getting into Cumberland on rt 51 and that is another common stop for us.
I am not sure there are that many riding days left this year for us. We don't have as much free time as we would like to take advantage of nice days.

Thanks for that, and for the reminder about DQ ... we never go there. ;)

Kathi is a sucker for hot fudge sundaes "with extra nuts, please," but I am a simple "small dipped (in chocolate only, of course) cone." :clap:

Well, as self-predicted, did not do the roads this weekend I had planned, at least not all of them, but more. You will probably recognize most if not all.

Saturday was pretty much just an up-to-Hollidaysburg-and-back route, tho nothing wrong with that.

Outbound highlighted; return via 36 and 26, etc.

i-fCgksbg-L.png

But, Sunday. Oh, my. The combo of temps -- 65 at lowest; over 80F at highest -- color, fantastic roads with virtually zero traffic, and my just being in great sync with the Griso made for the best day ride I can remember ... and I remember lots of fine rides and roads.

i-BqLnmwf-L.png

I'll post pix, of course, but these give an idea of how great it all was. May reprise it with Kathi on Norge or in Mini this coming Thursday.

i-kK3qJk3-L.jpg

i-Z4rnTTQ-L.jpg

More to follow. Better run and hide. :giggle:

Bill

Last edited:
Back