• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"directional" oil seals

KnowFear

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Calling all oil seal experts!

The rear main seal is "directional" - i.e. there is an arrow in same direction as the crank rotation. I just noticed tonight that the transmission input oil seal also has an arrow in the same direction as the crank rotation.

My problem is that the oil seal kit I got from MG Cycle http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1910 does not include a "directional" oil seal for the transmission input, but it does include two oil seals of the correct size (one is blue, one is brown) but neither have the directional arrow.

Are these oil seals OK to use in this application (transmission input shaft)? Brown or blue?

thanks
Chris

They'll be fine. The brown one is a Viton seal more reistant to heat and goes at the front. The blue one is a flurocarbon seal, most likely a Guzzi 35mm fork seal, which are interchangeable with but actually better than, the standard 'Black' nitrile seals usually used in that application.

Just as important as the seals are the o-rings. Don' forget them!!!!

Pete

Hello Pete - you are a rockstar in the Guzzi world!

Are you referring to the o-rings used to replace the conical seals for the clutch actuating rod? I have those. I also have the larger o-ring to seal the throwout bearing assembly.

I might leave the output seal for the time being, as I can always replace it relatively easily without major fuss.

Thank you sir!
Chris

KnowFear said:

Are you referring to the o-rings used to replace the conical seals for the clutch actuating rod? I have those. I also have the larger o-ring to seal the throwout bearing assembly.

I might leave the output seal for the time being, as I can always replace it relatively easily without major fuss.

Thank you sir!
Chris

I think Pete was referencing the two that go behind the clutch hub that is mounted on the transmission input shaft. If you have the transmission out, I'd go ahead and replace the output seal. It is much easier to do on the bench. Be careful not to loose the little steel ball. Also when removing the speedometer drive, do not grab the outer lip with pliers. If you can find Pete's detailed transmission instruction I believe he shows how to remove it by expanding needle nose pliers against the inner surface of the drive piece.

john zibell said:
KnowFear said:

Thank you sir!
Chris

I think Pete was referencing the two that go behind the clutch hub that is mounted on the transmission input shaft. If you have the transmission out, I'd go ahead and replace the output seal. It is much easier to do on the bench. Be careful not to loose the little steel ball. Also when removing the speedometer drive, do not grab the outer lip with pliers. If you can find Pete's detailed transmission instruction I believe he shows how to remove it by expanding needle nose pliers against the inner surface of the drive piece.

Hi John - I found the two o-rings that seal the clutch hub from behind. What is the "little steel ball" that you are referring to? Why would I need to remove the speed drive? Chris

OK - I see the ball that locks the speedo drive to the worm-drive gear.

What is the procedure for replacing that output seal?

KnowFear said:
OK - I see the ball that locks the speedo drive to the worm-drive gear.

What is the procedure for replacing that output seal?

Pete's shimming procedure includes removing the speedo drive https://www.guzzitech.com/Files/Gearboxshim.pdf I find that using a 27mm deep impact socked on an impact wrench makes dissassembly easy. Just remove the round piece that the seal rides on. It is not necessary to remove the piece the speedometer cable connects to. With ring out, gently pry the old seal out and install the new. Set the speedo drive ring, set the steel ball (It goes on the long slot on the output shaft), and tighten the nut and peen the lip to lock it on the output shaft. Job done. Also a look at the parts manual for the order of parts may help you.

Back