• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

DISCONTINUED ALARIS/Centurion/VDSTS Info - Instructions

Re: VDSTS Info - Instructions

Did you install the serial interface software and configure the comm port ?

Not sure I understand the question. I installed the program from the CD and the driver for the USB port, is this what you mean? The latest version automatically finds the comm port. I tried doing it manually and let it run on auto and it still gives me the same messages about the comm cable and power leads.

15RC users... any one able to connect as usual, but get a " ECU not responding after a count of 10 to 0" when trying to reset the TPS?

Thanks Dan, but do you think that it is working or no?

draidt said:
GT-Rx said:
15RC users... any one able to connect as usual, but get a " ECU not responding after a count of 10 to 0" when trying to reset the TPS?

Yes, even using the aflain ch 0, always comes back to 3.2 on the TPS setting, I called TR and was a given a chuck and jive answer about the software on my PC or a bad connection, like they never heard of the problem.

They must have a short memory, I went over this with them over 2 years ago. No mater where the Alfalin_0 is, the TPS channel value at reset will remain unchanged. That is OK since the ECU actually uses the value presented by Alfalin_0 . So long as Alfalin_0 sets correctly, the ECU will perform as it should. I now just ignore the TPS channel and go by Alfalin_0.

I'm seriously confused with all this VDST stuff. I had my TPS re-set at the dealer (to make it a bit richer) and when I checked it on my system at home the Alfalin_0 read 4.0. I need to know how to set this thing up so I can read correctly. I've read an re-read the instructions many times but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I even talked to TechnoResearch. I think their written directions lack for a decent English translation. I've been using the system for a year and a half on my Cal Vintage (without the Alfalin_0 change) but now am worried that I've not been using it correctly. Can anyone help me figure this complicated mess out? Thanks in advance.

boptone1 said:
I'm seriously confused with all this VDST stuff. I had my TPS re-set at the dealer (to make it a bit richer) and when I checked it on my system at home the Alfalin_0 read 4.0. I need to know how to set this thing up so I can read correctly. I've read an re-read the instructions many times but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I even talked to TechnResearch. I think their written directions lack for a decent English translation. I've been using the system for a year and a half on my Cal Vintage (without the Alfalin_0 change) but now am worried that I've not been using it correctly. Can anyone help me figure this complicated mess out? Thanks in advance.

I worked an a Cal Vin last weekend. With the CAL Vin I could not do an electronic reset. I'm thinking the 15RC ECU in the cal vin has a slightly different setup from the small blocks. I've got a question into MGNA on the correct procedure to set up the CAL Vin. When I get a response I'll post the information on the forum.

From what you said above, my guess is the dealer moved the TPS like you would with a 15M bike. It isn't fixed like the small blocks. The Alfalin_0 of 4.0 would richen the mix as much as the Lambda will allow. As for directions from Techno Resaerch, the manual they have is just for operating the software. It doesn't tell you a thing about the results displayed by the software. I'm really liking GS911 for BMWs as the people that developed it, tell you what the results mean in plain English.

John, thanks for the reply.

Maybe I'm the one not being clear. I'll try again. Maybe it's something really simple that I'm just not comprehending. Here goes - I've had the VDST for about two years. I bought it for my Cal Vintage. I've used it to adjust the TPS and it "seemed" to have been reading correctly, though now I am not so sure. I never did get any instructions from TechnoResearch other than the basic quick set up, and it never said boo about Alfalin_0 or any re-set.

Now I have a V7 classic. I was told that the VDST I had that works for the Cal Vint will work on the V7C. I guess they are the same 15RC ECU. Before I put the V7 on the VDST I had taken the bike to the dealer for a TPS adjust to see if we could richen the mixture a bit due to the fact the bike runs lean with the StainTune exhausts. The factory setting for the V7 is 2.1 (apparently). We changed it to 2.6. The bike ran noticably better though it still pops some on deceleration, but it's a better running bike.

So now I take her home and put it on my VDST to check the settings. Of course I need to have a set of readings that I can depend on if I'm on the road and need a mechanic to tweak things. The TPS window now says: 3.2 instead of 2.6. The confussion starts.

I then check around and find out about this Alfalin_0 business. I knew nothing about this until a week ago. I got the instructions (it looks like they were copied from the Technoresearch site) and read and re-read the thing to try to make heads or tails. I was able to re-set the unused spark advance to Alfalin_0, but now when reading THIS window it says 4.0 - NOT 2.6 as I thought it should since this is what the dealer set it to.

The instructions say something about zeroing the TPS. It is very unclear how to do this, or even more importantly WHY or IF I need to do this. When talking to TechnoResearch they seemed genuinely concerned and were trying to be helpful, but unfortunately I came away not any closer to understanding or solving this whole mystery.

I hope I was a little more clear in describing my dilemma. Can you further enlighten me? Or can someone walk me through it over the phone? Once I understand it I would love to help TechnoResearch maybe write a better instruction.

As far as I know, the V7 should be set up just like the 750 Breva. In the dashboard mode, set one of the channels to read Alfalin_0. Do the TPS reset. The value should then be 3.1. There is no mechanical adjustment for the small block TPS. If your dealer moved the sacred screw (see Grahams procedure for the 1100s, it is the same for the small blocks or the 1100 Breva service manual (PowerPoint cinverted to PDF) in the downloads section ) tell him to buy a new throttle body and install it for you. The throttle stop screw must never be moved. I know it is possible to easily trick the ECU to get a lower Alfalin_0 with the throttle closed, but not a higher one.

Here is the procedure I recieved for setting up the California Vintage. It is very similar to the 15M, but not exactly the same. The air bypass screw position is not a standard setting as with the older versions and the throttle plate is to be in a specific location and you use the air bypass screws to get the desired idle RPM. Also with this bike the TPS has to be manually set, not electronically set as with the small blocks.

CALIFORNIA TPS & THROTTLE BODY SYNC PROCEDURE

1. Detach the connecting rod between the throttle bodies.
2. Inspect the TPS to see if it has been moved. If you suspect it has been moved go to step 3, if it has not been changed go to step 5.
3. Turn the L/H throttle stop screw out until throttle plate is fully closed.
4. Using a volt meter, check that the TPS reads 150mV using the two outside wires at the TPS sensor connector. If the values are different, loosen the two fastening screws and reposition correctly.
5. Turn the L/H throttle stop screw until the Axone reads 3.2 To 3.6 degrees
6. Re-attach the connecting rod.
7. Fully close both by-pass screws gently.
8. Adjust the R/H throttle stop screw to lightly touch the throttle plate arm without changing the Axone TPS reading.
9. Connect the vacuum meter to the ports on the intake manifolds.
10. Bring the engine to 50 degrees C.
11. Bring engine speed to between 2000-3000 RPM’s & Adjust the cylinder equalization using the 7mm throttle body adjustment screw located on the top of the L/H throttle body. (It points inward at the throttle cables)
At idle, adjust the by-pass screws to achieve vacuum equalization.
12. Then adjust the by-pass screws equally to achieve the correct Idle speed of 1100 +/-50 RPM

Attachments

• 15RC-CALI-TPS-TBS.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 425

Thanks John, revised slightly and added the PDF file above.

GT-Rx said:
Thanks John, revised slightly and added the PDF file above. Grazie Mille.

Todd the PDF file says 09+ California TB sync, does it not apply to 07-08 as well ?

draidt said:
Todd the PDF file says 09+ California TB sync, does it not apply to 07-08 as well ?
*ANY/ALL* California' with a lambda, PDF above revised, thanks Dan.

VDST Software

I received the VDST software from Technoresearch recently, installed it and started looking at the readings while the bike was running.
Looking at the graph section I saw all the possible parameters that can be read ..... quite a lot.

As anyone gone through all the parameters and figured which ones are active for the Stelvio MM 5 AM 2 type ECU?
there a possibility of 52 parameters.

I also noticed that on the active settings ... I can't adjust the idle speed nor the AFV (Air fuel value).... grayed out.
Fuel Trim with engine running works ......would this be the AFV valve? (At idle)
In other words while you adjust the Fuel Trim .... you would keep an eye at the lambda value?

Re: VDST Software

Adjusting fuel trim on the 5AM is open to debate. Since the lambda sensor provides feedback to the ECU to adjust injector pulse, some think adjusting trim has no impact on fuel delivery. Other think it may have some impact at RPMs above the closed loop operation range. That said, I have noticed fuel efficiency improvements by setting the trim more negative but the matter is open to debate.

I'm - as always - puzzled.
Connecting the VDST gives me the answer - no, one of two answers - "wrong port" or the longer "check yadidah" message.
I've got two ports to choose of, 3 and 8 (Three, actually. 3rd option is "none"...) 8 seems to be the right one, but no connection.
Strange thing is that I can perform the test sequences, meaning there are a connection to the ECU... :ugeek:

I'm waiting for the Great Computer Guru (son) to come home this weekend, but if any of you wizards can point out what to look for...
It has worked before, but it'sa goddam tool, for heavens sake! I don't wanna know how they made it, I just wanna use it! :pinch:

Holt said:
I'm - as always - puzzled.
Connecting the VDST gives me the answer - no, one of two answers - "wrong port" or the longer "check yadidah" message.
I've got two ports to choose of, 3 and 8 (Three, actually. 3rd option is "none"...) 8 seems to be the right one, but no connection.
Strange thing is that I can perform the test sequences, meaning there are a connection to the ECU... :ugeek:

I'm waiting for the Great Computer Guru (son) to come home this weekend, but if any of you wizards can point out what to look for...
It has worked before, but it'sa goddam tool, for heavens sake! I don't wanna know how they made it, I just wanna use it! :pinch:

I received the standard VDST and went about it this way to find the communication port.
Maybe this will help!
I am using Windows XP .... usually XP will autodetect the com port you are using.

First off the VDST works with a serial port .... therefore you should have the converter USB to serial and the software to install this converter.(VERY IMPORTANT)
Unless your computer has already a serial com port.
Either way you can check the com ports by doing this:

(right click) on My Computer and go to Manage
Click on Device Manager and look for Ports (com & lpt)
expanding the (+) you will see the ports that are being used.
This will confirm the com port you will connect the VDST.
Look for USB serial converter (com?)

From then on you start-up the VDST software ....go to communication and port setting and make sure you have the correct com port setting.
Clicking on the VDST icon ....Brand/ECU/Model ....the software will start scanning for the ECU communication.
Naturally the bike ignition has to be on.
In my case its a fix ECU MM-IAW5AM.

Back