• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

DISCONTINUED ALARIS/Centurion/VDSTS Info - Instructions

Re: VDSTS Info - Instructions

I just installed the Pro series on my computer. Everything loaded, but the driver didn't activate. I got hold of Tech and they walked me thru getting the driver running and have had no problem communicating since

john zibell said:
Adjusting fuel trim on the 5AM is open to debate. Since the lambda sensor provides feedback to the ECU to adjust injector pulse, some think adjusting trim has no impact on fuel delivery. Other think it may have some impact at RPMs above the closed loop operation range. That said, I have noticed fuel efficiency improvements by setting the trim more negative but the matter is open to debate.

John,
Hope I’m not opening a can of worms by stating my opinion ……

I was reading up on the MM type ECUs and it’s function to figure out what parameters would be useful when hooking up to the VDST……The Guzzi is type MAP which is to say that the volume of air is deducted by the angle of the butterfly (angle alpha) TPS and engine RPM (number of turns n). The mass of this corresponding volume of air is corrected by the air temperature and the atmospheric pressure.

This allows you to calculate the injection times according to stocked mappings in the ECU. Therefore on this injection type, the air volume is not measured (no flow meter)

Calculated in the stock mapping of the ECU ….at low rpm (idle) the mixture is stabilized towards poor (lean). On acceleration or full load and beyond 4000tr/min or out of range to its norm the mixture is rich.

Looking at the Lambda probe you should see it vary from lean to rich according to a cycle of 1 second. Besides if you have the fine ear and that you can stabilize the RPM to ~2000tr/min you will be able to see this variation on the VDST. (Note: the probe has to be at a hot operating temperature…..to give a good value) The sensors only work effectively when heated.

Voltage specification of a typical lambda sensor voltage on an automobile ECU.
An output voltage of 0.2 V (200 mV) represents a "lean mixture" of fuel and oxygen.
An output voltage of 0.8 V (800 mV) represents a "rich mixture", one which is high in unburned fuel and low in remaining oxygen.
Air-fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7 to1 of mass volume ……. In return you should be able to detect an average value of 0.45 V (450mV) on the sensor.

All this said if you adjust the fuel trim you should be able to see a variation on the lambda probe voltage compared to the previous fuel trim value at 2000 rpm.
Given that engine temperature, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, TPS are all same valves as before.

So to see if all this theory works I tested it out with the VDST software.
I used all the parameters that are in bold…..
Got the engine to warm up ….. used a fan to keep it cool while doing the tests…..
Checked the lambda probe voltage.

At 2000 rpm give or take a few 100 and the fuel trim at 80 lambda probe voltage averaged 12mV.(Felt engine running smooth)
Fuel trim at -80 lambda probe voltage averaged 161mV.(Seemed to be running rough) and at 2000 rpm give or take a few 100 and the fuel trim at 0 lambda probe voltage averaged 50mV.
I guess adjusting the fuel trim does have an impact on the fuel delivery.

DanPez said:
Voltage specification of a typical lambda sensor voltage on an automobile ECU.
An output voltage of 0.2 V (200 mV) represents a "lean mixture" of fuel and oxygen.
An output voltage of 0.8 V (800 mV) represents a "rich mixture", one which is high in unburned fuel and low in remaining oxygen.
Air-fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7 to1 of mass volume ……. In return you should be able to detect an average value of 0.45 V (450mV) on the sensor.

So to see if all this theory works I tested it out with the VDST software.

At 2000 rpm give or take a few 100 and the fuel trim at 80 lambda probe voltage averaged 12mV.(Felt engine running smooth)
Fuel trim at -80 lambda probe voltage averaged 161mV.(Seemed to be running rough) and at 2000 rpm give or take a few 100 and the fuel trim at 0 lambda probe voltage averaged 50mV.
I guess adjusting the fuel trim does have an impact on the fuel delivery.
Your figures confuse me. (I am easily confused).
You say that the lamda voltage should vary from 200mV to 800mV, but then you say you are getting a reading of 12mV, 50mV and 161mV, all of which would appear to be off the end of the weak mixture scale.

Brian UK said:
Your figures confuse me. (I am easily confused).
You say that the lamda voltage should vary from 200mV to 800mV, but then you say you are getting a reading of 12mV, 50mV and 161mV, all of which would appear to be off the end of the weak mixture scale.

Brian
I may have left out a step .....previously working with cars and in general..... I would take the voltage directly from the pins of the O2 sensor (Lambda probe).
Since I have the VDST software I decided to look at the Lambda Sensor voltage parameter.

The voltage value you see 12mV, 50mV and 161mV were taken off of the VDST software for the Lambda voltage .…. I wanted to see if the variation was there when I changed the fuel trim.
I would have to find out what (part number for the Stelvio lambda sensor) type of sensor Guzzi installed and if the software displays the actual value or something equivalent.

For what I know there are three types of sensors in the market Zirconium dioxide, Titanium dioxide and Broadband lambda sensor.(Different suppliers) Bosch, NTK (NGK Japan) and JLam
See
http://www.ngk.de/NGK_NTK_LAUNCH_EXTENS ... 732.0.html
under …….Technology ……. E-learning

Breaking News

Brian,
You got me thinking about the voltage difference between the VDST and the Lambda probe....
So ..... I decided to redo the test over but this time taking the voltage directly from the Lambda probe.

I derived that the probe, on the bike, is a Zirconium dioxide 4 wire sensor.
2 white wires for the heater (not used)
1 grey wire (chassis ground)
1 black wire (signal voltage)

I connected a voltmeter between the black wire and chassis ground with a digital meter.
Got the bike fired up and saw 0.9 volts at 2000rpm +/-100rpm.
I adjusted the fuel trim to -60 to get a fluctuating between 0.3 and 0.6V DC. (It works)

Adjusting the fuel trim does have an impact on the air/fuel delivery.
And I will have to contact Technoresearch to find out if I picked the wrong parameter reading on the VDST or if there is something wrong with the communication software!!!!

Cheers!!!

DanPez said:
Breaking News

Brian,
You got me thinking about the voltage difference between the VDST and the Lambda probe....
So ..... I decided to redo the test over but this time taking the voltage directly from the Lambda probe.

I derived that the probe, on the bike, is a Zirconium dioxide 4 wire sensor.
2 white wires for the heater (not used)
1 grey wire (chassis ground)
1 black wire (signal voltage)

I connected a voltmeter between the black wire and chassis ground with a digital meter.
Got the bike fired up and saw 0.9 volts at 2000rpm +/-100rpm.
I adjusted the fuel trim to -60 to get a fluctuating between 0.3 and 0.6V DC. (It works)

Adjusting the fuel trim does have an impact on the air/fuel delivery.
And I will have to contact Technoresearch to find out if I picked the wrong parameter reading on the VDST or if there is something wrong with the communication software!!!!

Cheers!!!

For diagnostics, I don't believe the voltage reported by VDSTS is as critical as seeing the voltage change, and the rate at which it changes. I'm not happy with the rate of change observed on most closed loop bikes. The fastest rate change usually observed is about 3 seconds. I've only seen one bike respond as it should with the voltage changes being so rapid you could not get a voltage reading. I believe this is caused by the sampling rate of the ECU, and not so much an outright failure of the sensor, however I have seen sampling rates improve on slow changers (5 seconds or more) when the sensor was replaced. I don't know why that would occur, but it does.

I'm looking forward to you posting what you find out from Techno Research. You may want to also ask them about the sampling rate when you speak to them.

Thanks Daniel good info. Question has always been is if the ECU compensates to restore the target AFR. I don't have the time to go digging in the ECU code to find out, but I do know there is a warm up circuit. Keep us posted.

john zibell said:
I'm not happy with the rate of change observed on most closed loop bikes. The fastest rate change usually observed is about 3 seconds. I've only seen one bike respond as it should with the voltage changes being so rapid you could not get a voltage reading. I believe this is caused by the sampling rate of the ECU, and not so much an outright failure of the sensor, however I have seen sampling rates improve on slow changers (5 seconds or more) when the sensor was replaced. I don't know why that would occur, but it does.

I'm looking forward to you posting what you find out from Techno Research. You may want to also ask them about the sampling rate when you speak to them.

I contacted Techno Research to follow-up on my question for the Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool Software.
I also mentioned to them that the voltage response was reversed.
In other words if I put fuel trim at 0 I get an average of 50mV.
I put fuel trim at -80 I get an average of 161mV.
I put fuel trim at 80 I get 12mV. (reverse of the lambda response)

The other question you mentioned and I asked was the rate of change.
I saw it on my VDST log tool and the Lambda voltage changes value every 5 to 10 seconds.(Slow compared to the lambda probe)
Techno Research will give this information to Marelli.
Should get an answer in August ......will follow-up then.

VDST USB Adapter

If you bought the VDST without the adapter, can you buy any Serial Port to USB adapter or do you have to get a specific one from Technoresearch?

Re: VDST USB Adapter

guzziben47 said:
If you bought the VDST without the adapter, can you buy any Serial Port to USB adapter or do you have to get a specific one from Technoresearch?
Any "high-speed" serial to USB adapter will do... specifically TR recommends the KeySpan version.

ReSetting TPS with VDST

I got the VDST and figured out how to get it set up on the computer and attach it to the bike. Now all I want to do is re-set the TPS (I sync'd the TB's recently), but I can't figure out how to do that. I thought there would just be a re-set button somewhere I could press but I guess it isn't that simple. Does anyone know if there is a thread here somewhere that just explains how to do the re-set (for those of us who bought the tool solely for that purpose)?

Re: ReSetting TPS with VDST

guzziben47 said:
I got the VDST and figured out how to get it set up on the computer and attach it to the bike. Now all I want to do is re-set the TPS (I sync'd the TB's recently), but I can't figure out how to do that. I thought there would just be a re-set button somewhere I could press but I guess it isn't that simple. Does anyone know if there is a thread here somewhere that just explains how to do the re-set (for those of us who bought the tool solely for that purpose)?

Look under "View" then "Active Setting" in the menu, or click the screwdriver icon.

Re: ReSetting TPS with VDST

I pressed on the screwdriver button then selected the TPS tab. On the left hand side there is a TPS button; do I press that button? Is that all I have to do is press the TPS button under the TPS tab?

I didn't get any on screen instructions when I tried to do this....

I got the software loaded and the adapter hooked up. Now all I want to do is reset the TPS. I pressed the Screwdriver Icon (Active Settings) and selected the TPS tab. There is a button on the left that has a screwdriver on it, and says "TPS" on it. Do I just press that button to re-set the TPS? Everything on the right is dimmed, so that is the only button I can press. I get no on screen instructions, so I just want to make sure I'm pressing the right button.

That's the one ! The screen will then say setting and then will count down from 10

Awesome! The bike definitely runs better with a TB Sync and TPS reset. I don't think the dealer ever touched the adjustment screw; and it was off by almost half a turn....

Re: VDST Software

Note of interest
With the VDST as a tool for adjusting the fuel trim, I did some tests to find out about fuel economy.

When I first got the Stelvio I was averaging 150/160km before I had to find a gas station. (Reserve light goes on)
I adjusted the fuel trim to -60 on the VDST software (the 3rd of July) and the gas mileage jumped to 205km before the light came on. (Travelling distances are virtually the same day after day)
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4930.html#p36380

The weekend of the 11th I readjusted the fuel trim to -30 on the VDST ...... now I do about 175km before the reserve goes on.

One things for sure at -30, on the VDST Fuel Trim, the bike runs smoother than -60 :!: (Noticably at low rpm)
Since the bike has just past it's run-in period I keep the revs under 5k occasional bursts of 6k.

Cheers

john zibell said:
Here is the procedure I recieved for setting up the California Vintage. It is very similar to the 15M, but not exactly the same. The air bypass screw position is not a standard setting as with the older versions and the throttle plate is to be in a specific location and you use the air bypass screws to get the desired idle RPM. Also with this bike the TPS has to be manually set, not electronically set as with the small blocks.

CALIFORNIA TPS & THROTTLE BODY SYNC PROCEDURE

1. Detach the connecting rod between the throttle bodies.
2. Inspect the TPS to see if it has been moved. If you suspect it has been moved go to step 3, if it has not been changed go to step 5.
3. Turn the L/H throttle stop screw out until throttle plate is fully closed.
4. Using a volt meter, check that the TPS reads 150mV using the two outside wires at the TPS sensor connector. If the values are different, loosen the two fastening screws and reposition correctly.
5. Turn the L/H throttle stop screw until the Axone reads 3.2 To 3.6 degrees
6. Re-attach the connecting rod.
7. Fully close both by-pass screws gently.
8. Adjust the R/H throttle stop screw to lightly touch the throttle plate arm without changing the Axone TPS reading.
9. Connect the vacuum meter to the ports on the intake manifolds.
10. Bring the engine to 50 degrees C.
11. Bring engine speed to between 2000-3000 RPM’s & Adjust the cylinder equalization using the 7mm throttle body adjustment screw located on the top of the L/H throttle body. (It points inward at the throttle cables)
At idle, adjust the by-pass screws to achieve vacuum equalization.
12. Then adjust the by-pass screws equally to achieve the correct Idle speed of 1100 +/-50 RPM

John, is there a similar procedure document for the 15M? I've been searching for this and each one I find tends to be slightly different. I have the VDST for the 15M ('99 JACKAL). Thankyou in advance.

Back