• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

DISCONTINUED ALARIS/Centurion/VDSTS Info - Instructions

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
As of Jan 2020, TR is no longer offering anything any more, sorry. The older software was the Factory used standard up until '06.

Below is a general 'How-To' for those who own it.

The standard cable supplied with Alaris/Centurion-S comes with a USB adapter, but it will also connect to a 9-pin serial port. PLEASE USE THE "USB 2.0 Cable Driver" ON THE CDROM OR DOWNLOADED FROM HERE WHEN PROMPTED BY WINDOWS FOR NEW INSTALLATION, do NOT use the Windows default. This is required for the USB to RS 232 translation when running any version of Centurion.

Install Centurion/VDSTS (always best downloaded from TR). Open the progression of relevant Centurion folders and subfolders and then the one for XP or whatever operating system your PC has.

Open it and click the setup icon to install Centurion/VDSTS.

Once installed, use the desktop icon to launch Centurion/VDSTS.

On the first window to appear press the English language button.

On the newer versions of Centurion/VDST, the "Com" port connection is auto-sensing/find. On the older versions, click on the Communication tab at the screen top and from the drop-down menu click Port Setting. A window will appear and at the top of it a panel labeled VDST with up/down arrows beside it. Move through to choose the appropriate Com port you are to connect through and click OK. Unless you know the Com port number you may need to re-visit this to get connection to the bike.

With the cable is connected to the bike** and laptop and the kill switch on Run, turn on the ignition and click the bike icon button (Brand/Ecu/Model) and then Centurion/VDSTS will automatically search for and identify the ECU type and show the type on the screen bottom. For the MM IAW5AM; A window will appear indicating the ECU type found and asking you to confirm if that is correct.
**NOTE: For ABS Guzzis, there is a 3-wire plug that goes to the ABS unit on the right side of the battery tray - DO NOT CONNECT TO THIS PLUG (X'ed in red below). The correct plug/connection resides in the small fuse tray just forward of the seat latch. This is a 2-wire plug/connector (circled in blue below)- see pic below**

CA083851 01C1 4231 B57B 87C4C4C5A5AE

Now press the HotSync button to connect the Centurion/VDSTS to the ECU. Once connection is confirmed, all the buttons along the top of the screen will become active.

Press the dials button (Gauges/Meters) to display data including the TPS reading. Open the throttle progressively and the TPS reading should respond accordingly.

TPS settings:
5AM ECU; 2-valve motor: 4.5~4.7 degrees; 4-valve motor: 4.8 degrees
MIU ECU: 1.0 degrees +/- .1 degree
15RC* ECU; 3.1 degrees
15M** ECU; 3.6 +/-.3 degrees (475~525mV) --QUOTA-- 1.4 degrees +/-.3 degrees (~395mV)
16M** ECU; 2.1 +/-.3 degrees
P8** ECU; 2.1 +/-.3 degrees

*15RC settings. The VDST does not show the actual TPS value in the normal TPS channel/position. The TPS value of 2.3~2.5 will not change on reset. The channel to observe for the TPS position is Alfalin_0. It will display in millivolts. In order to display the TPS in degrees, replace one of the other on-screen functions, i.e. Spark advance (or any other) with the channel Alfalin_0. To do this, select the 'CH' (channel) from the pull-down menu, and replace it in for one of the channels displayed as default on the dashboard. Replace with the alfalin_0 signal. The new channel should show 3.1 degrees on reset. To zero the TPS, the procedure is the same as the 5AM, just follow the on-screen prompts. Trim cannot be adjusted on the 15RC because it is controlled by the Lambda reading.

**15M, 16M and P8. The software can be used to manually set the TPS voltage at idle (key on, motor off) with all linkages connected.

The following info is from MPH Cycles regarding tuning values on pre-5AM Guzzis;
P8 ECU: V11 EV/Daytona 1000/Cal 1100i - Idle RPM: 1060 +/-50 - C.O. 1.90% - Air screws: 1 Turn Out
16M ECU: V10 Centauro, Daytona RS, 1100 Sport I - Idle RPM: 1060 +/-50 - C.O. 1.90% - Air screws: 1 Turn Out
15M ECU California/V11S variants (all): Idle RPM: 1060 +/-50 - C.O. 1.90% - Air screws: 1/2 Turn out
15M 1100 QUOTA: Idle RPM: 1060 +/-50 - C.O. 1.90% - Air screws: CLOSED forever

NOTE: Setting the idle trim and idle speed requires the engine temperature to be roughly in the range of 85º-120ºC/185º-248ºF. Do NOT let overheat. A large fan is highly recommended.

Attachments

• CenturionUpdater.pdf
    729.6 KB · Views: 156
Re:Write our own instructions - VDSTS

john zibell wrote:
15M,and P8. The software can be used to manually set the TPS voltage. It is much easier to read the screed than to set up a DVM. Trim on the 15M is set electronically, and manually on the P8.

OR

15M, 16M and P8. The software can be used to manually set the TPS voltage at idle with all linkages connected. It is much easier to read the screen than to set up a DVM. Trim on the 15M is set electronically, and manually on the 16M and P8.

ALSO:

Setting the idle trim and idle speed requires the engine temperature to be roughly in the range of 85C to 120C. Do NOT let it overhear. A large fan is highly recommended.

Brian UK wrote:
Regarding the trim on the 5AM, does it affect the whole range, or just the closed loop bit?

Good question. I think only the Marelli engineers know for sure. I hope the whole range, but don't know.

couple of inputs here, the guzziology says to open both air bypass screws one full turn.

Also, it states that the co setting cannot be set without it. Has any one used this set upr with a gas analyzer to see how it works?

I have set the bodies so far with out adjusting the co and have had nothing but happy customers............still, I would like to take that extra step.

Re:VDSTS Info - Instructions

On my griso with the 5am, adjusting the trim from min to max seemed to have no effect, it allowed me to change it, but no detectable change in running or farting on overrun, does it do anything or does the lambda just over ride it

guzzi jon wrote:
On my griso with the 5am, adjusting the trim from min to max seemed to have no effect, it allowed me to change it, but no detectable change in running or farting on overrun, does it do anything or does the lambda just over ride it

The idle trim has zero effect on the 5am, at least not once the sensor is warmed up. I'm still playing with it to determine if it effects a cold motor. it doesn't appear to. Axone and Navigator don't even let you touch the trim on the 5am.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
guzzi jon wrote:

The idle trim has zero effect on the 5am, at least not once the sensor is warmed up. I'm still playing with it to determine if it effects a cold motor. it doesn't appear to. Axone and Navigator don't even let you touch the trim on the 5am.

Wayne,

When I first got the 1100 Breva, the tail pipe showed a little rich. I then set the trim more negative. The pipe cleared the soot.

Have you connected to an exhaust gas analyzer? In setting up my Breva for fuel efficiency I've been able to get the CO to 1.9 - 2% at idle. Or am I dreaming and that is the CO they all have?

The info I have for the Breva V1100 clearly states the the air bypass screws should be either both fully closed or just one partly open.

Quote:
BREVA V 1100 Test Data

1. What is the purpose of the CUSTOMER CODE?
To start the vehicle in case the antenna circuit of the immobiliser would be interrupted.

2. What does the CHANGE KEYS function allows us to do?
To activate new keys, other to those already activated, that must however also be re-activated.

3. In this engine the oil over pressure valve can be found -
Before the oil filter.

4. How do we check engine oil level?
With dipstick inserted without being fixed, every 1000 km.

5. How is the amount of intake air controlled during engine idle?
By a stepper motor controlled by the ECU.

6. What means recovery by the ECU?
In case a circuit fault is detected by the ECU, the ECU operates with a prefixed value to make it possible for the engine to run and signals the fault.

7. If a customer indicates he had a problem signalled by the dashboard and we have verified that in the menu selection ECU FAULTS no active fault is present.
We must verify indications in menu selection DASHBOARD FAULTS and connect with Axone to visualise the faults via the correct menu selection.

8. How can I know that the ECU uses the lambda sensor feedback to maintain the stochiometric ratio (CLOSED LOOP)?
I will know from observing on Axone the parameter lambda integration.

9. If I want the ECU to learn the zero reference point of the throttle valve, how can I do?
It is necessary with Axone to select the function Throttle valve position sensor in the screen set-up with the icon “hammer and screw driver”.

10. How must I regulate the by-pass screws on the throttle bodies?
They should both be closed or only one opened.

End

That's the way I've been doing it and it produces a near perfect idle.

Maybe someone can help me. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

So I bought the VDSTS for my Breva - I'd reset the TPD a month or so back. At the time, I can't remember whether I could see a specific output from the Lambda sensors but I have a vague memory that there was some sort of reading indicating that the ECU was getting a signal? Then I recently installed the crossover from Guzzitech and a Mistral exhaust. The port for the lambda sensor on the GT crossover is really too far down and forward IMHO and I the cable from the lambda sensor is probably too tight. I've been worried that I might have damaged the lambda sensor or its cable. And according tot he onboard fuel consumption monitor, my average fuel consumption for the 1 tank I've put through the bike since I did all this ahas gone from about 7 to over 10 L/100km. So I'm a tiny bit worried and wondering...

So after installing the new exhaust yesterday, I figured I'd hook up to the VDSTS and make sure everything is still good. Also, I have that annoying wrench icon showing on the dash and wanted to clear it.

Now on the VDSTS I can't seem to find any indication of a signal from the lambda sensor. There's an icon for O2 sensors or something (sorry, VDSTS is installed on old laptop in garage and I am on desktop in house so I can'r remember exactly) but in a couple of places I just get blanks - so maybe I damaged the lambda sensor?

I tried the VDSTS Help but it doesn't seem to be much use. I'm sure I could sweat it out and/or spend a few hours doing research, but I really can't invest that time right now, and I've a trip planned leaving in 2 weeks so if I have to get a part etc I'd better figure that out and get on it right away. And I know one of you guzzi-geniuses will know the answer instantly.

And one last question, I know it's here on the forum somewhere, but these darn diagnostic fault messages - I suppose I could spend hours with the truly terrible manual and fugure out what the codes are, but I thought I had recalled that one could check and clear those quite easily with the VDSTS. Well, it doesn't seem easy to me.

Help?

I miss carburettors!

Ian

From the PC-V post:
sn0winSaskatoon wrote:
Question about the darn O2 sensors - re: the factory lambda sensor - can I easily tell if it's working properly using the VDSTS? I thought I remembered seeing it when I hooked it up just after you sent it to me, but after I bolted on the new mistral pipe to your GT crossover, my fuel consumption went through the roof (at least according to the onboard indicator). So I hooked up VDSTS yesterday and couldn't immediately figure out where to find the lambda sensor... perhaps I'm just stupid... seems to me I might have damaged it during installing the crossover, and the cable is pretty short... on the other hand, if it were malfunctioning I should get an error code. Ian
You should be able to both test the sensor, and "see" & record the 02-sensor reading using the VDST.

so I'll continue this saga in case there are any other total incompetents out there who might benefit from my confusion...

I figured out that logging the lambda was simply set to off and so under "channels" I turned it on and under "strip chart" I can now see that the lambda is being monitored (values seem to range from about 20 to about 200 mV). so I guess that means I didn't tug the lamda sensor cable too hard when I put in the GT crossover, so that's good.

...but it seems funny to me (and maybe because I just need to spend a whole bunch more time with the VDSTS manual)... when I go to "status flags" and hit the "obd-eobd-lambda" tab - most of the spaces say "not available" or some such thing, but it is totally blank under "lambda #1 status" and also under "OBD1 Lambda #1 status". It's not dimmed out like some things are, if they're not supported by the ECU, just totally blank. I guess that's what threw me. Maybe I just don't get this software...

but anyone have any idea why my fuel consumption went from about 7 to well over 10 L/100km when I put on the GT x-over and a mistral carbon fibre can ? I was expecting slightly lower fuel consumption. In 2 weeks I'm heading for a 2 week trip into the US and would like to get decent mileage - but at least they have cheap fuel there...

time to go for a ride...

Ian

sn0winSaskatoon wrote:
but anyone have any idea why my fuel consumption went from about 7 to well over 10 L/100km when I put on the GT x-over and a mistral carbon fibre can ? I was expecting slightly lower fuel consumption. In 2 weeks I'm heading for a 2 week trip into the US and would like to get decent mileage - but at least they have cheap fuel there...

Ian: I installed the GT x-over on my B11 and have noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage (~ 1-2 mpg). Regarding the length of the O2 sensor wires: It is plenty long enough, but there is a zip tie holding it back behind the starter. You can lengthen the wires by backing out the starter bolts and cutting the zip tie. You do not have to remove the starter. Just back it out a little so you can cut the zip tie. This should give you plenty of wire and it should not be tight or in a bind.

The error codes are in the electrical section of the manual.

Re: VDSTS Info - Instructions

It has surfaced again, so worthy of note (and added to the original post in red):

**NOTE: For ABS Guzzis, there is a 3-wire plug that goes to the ABS unit on the right side of the battery tray -- DO NOT CONNECT TO THIS PLUG -- the correct plug/connection resides in the small fuse tray just forward of the seat latch. This is a 2-wire plug/connector**

VDSTS Plugs

Question for 15RC users:
What values are you seeing after resetting the TPS?
Manual says: 3,1° - some are getting 2.3~2.5°

Post below on your findings/experience. TIA.

GT-Rx said:
Question for 15RC users:
What values are you seeing after resetting the TPS?
Manual says: 3,1° - some are getting 2.3~2.5°

Post below on your findings/experience. TIA.

With VDSTS the tricky thing with the 15 RC is that you don't look at the TPS channel to see the actual TPS value the ECU works with. The TPS value of 2.3 - 2.5 doesn't change no matter how often you reset the TPS. The ECU is actually looking at the channel Alfalin_0 for the TPS reading. When you look at the channel Alfalin_0, you will see the 3.1 degree reading on a reset.

john zibell said:
With VDSTS the tricky thing with the 15 RC is that you don't look at the TPS channel to see the actual TPS value the ECU works with. The TPS value of 2.3 - 2.5 doesn't change no matter how often you reset the TPS. The ECU is actually looking at the channel Alfalin_0 for the TPS reading. When you look at the channel Alfalin_0, you will see the 3.1 degree reading on a reset.
Excellent, thanks John. The questions comes up often, and I have little exposure to the 15RC here. I'll revise the original post with your words above as well. Thanks again!

Got my VDSTS and not having any luck getting a connection established with my computer, so need some help please. I'm running Vista, have installed the program, connected the +/- cables, plugged in to the connection port shown in the photo (the one next to the fuse block), but when I try to connect I get an error window saying "Check communication cable.." and "Cable with clamps connect to motor bike battery". So does this mean there is an issue with the communication cable and the 12V leads? The pos/negative are not reversed and the comm cable is plugged in to my USB port. :(

Thanks.

Back