• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Distance to empty

north2south

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
When my tank gets down to the last gallon of gas the odometer on my 2014 Custom measures up the kilometers traveled rather than counting down letting me know how many kilometers to empty.
This has to be wrong.
Does anyone know how I would fix this?

When my tank gets down to the last gallon of gas the odometer on my 2014 Custom measures up the kilometers traveled rather than counting down letting me know how many kilometers to empty. This has to be wrong. Does anyone know how I would fix this?
Two things, first is that you aren't down the last gallon when the light comes on, and the count isn't wrong. Guzzi chose to tell you how many km you've traveled once the light came on. Others here can tell you how far you can go.

My Ducati Monster 1200S does the same thing. Keeps you from wondering when the light turned on. Of course, if it told you how far you can go, you wouldn’t need to know when the light turned on. Then again, you know you will push it beyond the recommended distance to empty, you know you will.

I drive with the dash display on one of the trip odometers which I reset whenever I fill the tank. I found this "count down" aspect of the odometer on my Eldo very annoying, especially since the warning light comes on pretty early and my MPG can vary dramatically depending on where I am riding and how fast I am going. I discovered by accident that a quick push one way or the other on the menu lever puts the odometer back into the normal mode for a few seconds so you can go back to seeing how far you have traveled. It won't stay there and will go back into the countdown mode as long as the low fuel light is illuminated, but you can push it whenever you feel the need to see your total mileage.

I saw that *feature* a couple of weeks ago - when out looking for a *new* road back home.
The light came on around 400 Km and then my Current Mpg display started counting UP !!! WHAT ???
I turned around and went back to the last Gas and took the Regular Way home...

Now I figure I get the light at 400 km that takes 14 - 16 L to fill - so I have at least 100 Km ( 60 Miles ) Till i'm walking.

Last edited:
I too find this "counting up " feather annoying. Have had other bikes that do it and found it annoying on them too. On my 2014 California, I just plan on refilling at 150 miles. If I have to go a little further to find a gas station, no problem.

My Breva 1100 has about 4 litres in the tank when the fuel light comes on, looking at the average fuel consumption its easy to work out how many K's left, I like the count up feature.

The distance to empty “Play” is a bit of a crock,
On Most vehicles you can reset everything when you fill up.
I had one car that would INSIST on building that distance till empty number based on historical data.
When I got it, it was telling me a tank of gas would get me 300km...
After a few years I got it up to 500km - but that could get seriously eroded with some “Spirited” driving !

Once you get to know the bike and how you ride it.
You can figure how comfortable you are with the Reported Km/L ( Mpg) and with the guess of how many km I have left before I’m @#$&*% !

Unless I’m in town i still freak out a tiny bit when I have to flip the Honda onto reserve.

Last edited:
I saw that *feature* a couple of weeks ago - when out looking for a *new* road back home.
The light came on around 400 Km and then my Current Mpg display started counting UP !!! WHAT ???
I turned around and went back to the lat Gas and too the Regular Way home...

Now I figure I get the light at 400 km that takes 14 - 16 L to fill - so I have at least 100 Km ( 60 Miles ) Till i'm walking.
400 km sounds great. My light comes on at around 200 kms. Half in town riding and half country driving. I did get 320 km once out of a tank.

I have ridden my 2013 Touring to empty twice. (I had a spare litre of fuel with me). 75km each time, once the count started.
Stephen

Audace here. After 50 km i usually fill it up.
Light comes on when i have approx. 20% fuel left.

Lot's of brand do the counting as MG. Yamaha, Ducati etc. The only way if your sensor isn't that precise

Lot's of brand do the counting as MG. Yamaha, Ducati etc. The only way if your sensor isn't that precise

I don’t think of it as how precise the sensor is, it’s more the idea that as you ride along the fuel is going to get to a point where it’s below the “Sensor”
If you think of the old days where there was a tall tube in the tank and when that on started sucking air you flipped to reserve to take fuel from the bottom.

Once you hit reserve if youve been driving like like a Maniac you’ll get an estimate of X miles/km out of the remaining fuel, if you drive like Grandma you’ll get X+N ???

But if you were driving like the maniac and Start to drive like Grandma, the figures it’s using are not going to adjust to recalculate your “estimated distance till empty”

That’s why I was saying that IMHO the distance till empty thing is a load of ????

I ran my Norge to empty today because I needed to know. 54 km after the light came on, 2 km short of the nearest gas station. My buddy emptied his 750 ml water bottle and brought me some fuel. It started up after a short crank. 22.5 litres to fill on the side stand.

P.S. I would much rather have a distance to empty read out. Even if it's not totally accurate at least you have a ball park idea.

Back