• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Distributor gear

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Wanted to rebuild my distributor on my 1975 850 T and replace the drive gear, bearings and advance springs in it. Are there new drive gears and drive gear pins to replace the old ones ?
2023 06 28 09 49 54 2023 06 28 09 44 24 Moto Guzzi 850  T   Distributor Igniter Ignition Timin

Last edited:
Rebuild parts are not listed except for the advance springs, points, and condensors. A complete unit is listed at Harper's Moto Guzzi. I would call to confirm it is available. It is part number 14715400.

Before replacing these gears , I would remove the points cam and simply check the shaft for free play, under .005"
is no big deal . I don't want to sound like I'm setting the bar too low , but the factory didn't set it all that high !
Low compression , small valves , tiny carbs ,(heck , close wasn't so awfully ) :) . And after 1/2 century parts are kinda
scarce . Peter

Unless the gear is badly worn, I don't replace it. I use a roll pin to replace the original.
Charlie, do you have a source for the gears? They are not separately listed. BTW, sorry you got hit, but are mending. I got hit by a left hand turner back in the 80s. Not fun.

I should've mentioned that the easiest way to tell if the gear is overly worn is with a timing light . If at 4000rpm the line actually moves in and out of the timing hole at constant throttle , you should look to replace it . I've only seen this twice and replacement definitely improved the running:) . Peter

Last edited:
Harper's has them. Post an image of yours, it's probably OK. As Amboman commented, a roll pin works well to secure the gear to the shaft.

Refer to Greg Bender's excellent tutorial on rebuilding it, if you haven't already.

To address moto-uno's comment, if the timing mark is dancing around, it's more likely that the timing chain tensioner is loose or has failed.

Actually the timing was not the issue, it was running quit well. I dissembled the T back in 2003 yes 2003 ! It was in rough condition and wanted to redo everything. I have been collecting parts since then and now I'm at the point of assembling it. I was thinking of completely rebuilding the distributor while it was apart and thought of replacing everything including the gear. At my age this is going to be it.

I sure do ! Never without a bike. I ride my girlfriends 1998 Motoguzzi 1100 sport now that she has a 2021 850. I also have a 1972 Honda CB 500 four, a 1977 Yamaha XT 500 to ride the back roads in my area. I still manage to ride off road on my 1995 Honda XR 250.

Back