• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

DIY cradle for California 1400 jack and roller: try or bail?

If its resting on the bolt shaft and nut, won't that put some metal to metal leverage on the top of the bottom frame tube? No technical expertise here but this what happened to a friend once with a cruiser and he found that the frame was indented and rusty where the u-strap was resting. Very ingenious though
Well now, that is a good observation, and excellent question. Although this device has many parts they act together as one solid unit. All the lift/weight load is transferred directly to the underside of the frame tube. Any leverage (torque) moment value would have to exceed clamp pressure, and it doesn't. Stainless hardware and strong Guzzi frame lends to a device that works just fine for the job it is intended to do. And I thank you.

Hi, Skip! Hockey pucks aren't on my radar where I live (temperate climate) but I can sure see why you'd have some handy in Michigan! As for your sweet, simple solution to the balancing act game and all the other remarkable solutions...why didn't I think of that?! :)
Hey there Pete, We certainly are at opposite ends of the temperature and geographic ranged aren't we.( I sure could use a ride)
Any solid material could be used, puck was handy. Thank you, Stay safe and healthy. Skip

Well now, that is a good observation, and excellent question. Although this device has many parts they act together as one solid unit. All the lift/weight load is transferred directly to the underside of the frame tube. Any leverage (torque) moment value would have to exceed clamp pressure, and it doesn't. Stainless hardware and strong Guzzi frame lends to a device that works just fine for the job it is intended to do. And I thank you.
Thanks for the answer. I'm impressed by the ingenuity of all you guys to keep the bikes stable with the wheels off. in olden days with a T509 Speed Triple, I was having tires changed and was sitting in the showroom when I heard a huge crash, (glass, plastic and metal) and heard the service manager shout out "who left this bike sitting on a milk crate with no wheels on?". I'm no detective, but I had a hunch as to whose bike it was!!

Thanks for the answer. I'm impressed by the ingenuity of all you guys to keep the bikes stable with the wheels off. in olden days with a T509 Speed Triple, I was having tires changed and was sitting in the showroom when I heard a huge crash, (glass, plastic and metal) and heard the service manager shout out "who left this bike sitting on a milk crate with no wheels on?". I'm no detective, but I had a hunch as to whose bike it was!!
Thanks Brian for sharing the milk crate story. I recall in younger days that if it didn't have a center stand, up on a slippery milk crate it went. I'm a lot older now and a little wiser. Kudos to all the efforts !!!

Hello Robert,
Is it possible to get the dimensions of your wooden support ?
(Bevelled distance spacers )
Regards and thanks
Vizir
Here you go.

Attachments

• EE38BB4F-C785-4DE9-97E1-B1C5C132AC10.jpeg
    EE38BB4F-C785-4DE9-97E1-B1C5C132AC10.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 7901A721-7B23-4F4C-8AB8-B7FCC44B9BA2.jpeg
    7901A721-7B23-4F4C-8AB8-B7FCC44B9BA2.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 49
  • 8D004DE6-CD40-4BFF-87D2-74487C974079.jpeg
    8D004DE6-CD40-4BFF-87D2-74487C974079.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 16CF33D6-8BE8-489E-A534-3C41459826DB.jpeg
    16CF33D6-8BE8-489E-A534-3C41459826DB.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 4EC11E61-4979-4158-A596-DA444AE9D1CE.jpeg
    4EC11E61-4979-4158-A596-DA444AE9D1CE.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 49
  • CAB93044-10B1-45B0-B243-8F8C0EE2B41D.jpeg
    CAB93044-10B1-45B0-B243-8F8C0EE2B41D.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 41
I park mine in a wheel chock and use this small jack with this wooden support.
Works fine for removing the rear wheel.

Mr. Gibson,

Very nice solution !!!,

A solution that I, with almost non existing wood working ability, SHOULD be able to make.

Please share the angle of the mitre cut.

Mr. Gibson, I see you already posted great pictures giving the angles and dimension.

Thank you.

I should have read page 2.

Can anyone tell me where the center of gravity is located on the Touring? Searched for it in the workshop manual but no succes...

Can anyone tell me where the center of gravity is located on the Touring? Searched for it in the workshop manual but no succes...
Hi, Glimwas! My 2014 touring has two saddlebags and a top case and seems heavier toward the rear. When I was trying to figure out the center of gravity a while back, it seemed like it is about 3 inches to the rear of where the horizontal part of the bottom frame starts to angle upward. But I have never set the bike on a fulcrum to see for sure, and you may want to. I bet one of the other Touring riders has, though, so I hope they chime in. They are a wily bunch.

Welcome to the modern age:rofl: .
Fortunately I was brought up using imperial and metric, so I can speak both languages.

Isn't that the truth! Yeah the U.S. is the only country in the world not working on adopting the metric system as the standard of measurement. I have worked in machine design for over 40 years started out using imperial units, but have been working with metric measurements since 2000 exclusively in my work. I was fired from one job due to refusal to use imperial units. That company actively converted over to metric units a year later.

The construction business here is very deeply entrenched in imperial units and the only way I see it changing is for material manufacturers/suppliers to actively make the conversion.

Back