• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Do ya go camping and riding in the WET?

Ghost_Bullet

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The Magpie Madness Rally, one of the last before Christmas in New Zealand, within the South Island.
The weather trends dodgy around these parts, so never know what ya gonna get. 30 degrees C or Rain, hail.
But sometimes taking it on, doing the ride no matter the conditions, just makes it that much more awesomely memorable.

Great stuff.

As a retired Army guy, I have religious scruples against camping. :giggle:

And, I, too, try never to ride in the rain. I have, of course, spent many miles in it anyway. :wasntme:

Actually, drizzle, even for hours, can be "litotesdly"-speaking anyway, not entirely unpleasant until, of course, the inevitable wet finds your crotch! :(

But monsoonic thunderstorms are another matter, and I have gotten pretty good at finding shelter. Not perfect, unfortunately, and maybe just lucky. Self-car-washes are my favorite in any built-up areas, but churches out in the country often have picnic pavilions and I've BTDT countless times.

Bill

In 1974 I bought my 1st big bike to travel around the US. From Chicago to LA (rt 66) to SF (hwy 1) - then back. I ran outta dough in Amarillo Tx. I only had a gas credit card from Dad. I rode non-stop back home... no food... sleep etc.
It rained all the way. About 1K miles or so. I was riding with the storm.
I had a 3/4 helmet and rain suit. The rain went up the back of the helmet, around the top inside the helmet, under the front, down my neck and back and onto my butt. Sheesh.
I have done my best to pay attention to the weather ever since. (and the moolah for hotels :) )

I have ridden many miles in rain on long trips, but I try to avoid it by scheduling local rides around weather forecasts. I stop and get off the bike in thunderstorms (don’t want to be a lightning rod). Hotels and restaurants are great places to find shelter! I never try to carry camping equipment on a motorcycle—just credit cards, a few tools, clothes, and riding gear.

The fairing on the RS does a good job of keeping the water off at highway speeds (just boots get wet), but hands and upper body get wet at slower speeds. The little windshield on the V85TT offers some protection, but upper body gets wet quickly. Hand guards keep gloves fairly dry and the cylinders keep some water off legs.

Last edited:
Aside from the two years of corona where I didn’t go back to Germany,
I visit my brother and We usually get caught in the rain on the north side of the Alps... Driving from Munich to Mandello and further… Sometimes the sides of the roads are even covered in snow… The sun usually comes out once we reach the summit..
And camping is a no… Not anymore… Getting too old for it and to lazy! And that’s what I do since 1997 and I’m always looking forward to it…

B8B3933E 21B3 46E7 AE76 21B15258B4F2

I ride all year round, every day. Rain/shine.
Bout the only thing I wont go out in is if its below 25 or so, don't enjoy the loss of traction on icy roads.. although I have done it before in when I was living in Colorado b/c I didn't have a choice - had to get to work!
I'm back down in Texas now which is a ride all year type of environment compared to Washington state or Colorado for sure, I still despise riding in the cold/wet like it has been recently but do it anyways. Proper gear makes things a lot more comfortable although there have still been wet balls kinds of rides mixed in there due to heavy rain and aging bibs :D

Back