• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Doubled Walles pipes for Breva 1100

willis

Just got it firing!
I really like my B11 except the pipes. Does anyone know where to buy doubled walled pipes or anyone that can make them.

Presumably the Genuine double-walled pipes as fitted to the later/current models should fit.

Some, like Kiwi Dave, have opted to have the headers ceramic coated.

I don't like my Breva's header pipe look much either, but not enough to do anything about it, but if the urge came upon me I'd follow Dave's example.

Graham

Didn't you launch another thread on this in which I replied that someone (Moto International?) put the complete 1200 Sport exhaust system on a B11, double walled headers, x-over and catalysed carbon(look?) muffler? Apparently works fine, breathes more freely, and is still completely homologated.

I did start the other thread please accept my apology. I really thought the 1200 and norge had doubled walled pipes but the dealer said no and it would not fit my Breva. The spots are really bad looking. I kind of knew they would be expensive but just wanted to find out if there was any other option for the pipes. The dealer told me that the pipes will still burn with double wall, but I am not sure about that. The Harley's have the double walled pipes or a chrome cover on them and they look good. SOOOO why can't the people at Guzzi or some after market come up with a set of pipes that will not burn or if it does cover them up.. Any idea how much the pipes would cost????
The ceramic was another idea or powder coat them but was not sure about the heat transfer. Dealer said the powder coat would cause the pipes to hold more heat on the engine and believe the engine has enough now so I would want more heat. The ceramic coated pipes looks like they still are burned some. Is this so or does the picture just look that way????
thanks
Willis

My dealer told me that this is just the way they are and nothing could be done to fix them. He said even Guzzi knew and would do nothing when the bike was in warranty. They are suppose to be stainless steel. Not sure what grade.

Stainless can be buffed out to look like new again. If you're concerned about spots, it's probably oil or fingerprints that get baked on the next time it gets hot. It's always going to turn yellow, though.

willis wrote:
The dealer told me that the pipes will still burn with double wall, but I am not sure about that.
Willis

They do still tarnish with a double skin, but to a much lesser degree. I have done about 700 miles on my 1200 sport so far and it is tarnishing near the head, however a bit of 'Autosol' or something similar would bring it up very quickly. On the Breva 1100 I found the best thing to do was to take the headers off every few months, put a buffing pad on a bench grinder with a bit of polishing compound and then it only takes about 15 minutes each to bring them up good as new.

willis wrote:
The ceramic was another idea or powder coat them but was not sure about the heat transfer. Dealer said the powder coat would cause the pipes to hold more heat on the engine and believe the engine has enough now so I would want more heat. The ceramic coated pipes looks like they still are burned some. Is this so or does the picture just look that way????
thanks
Willis

The ceramic coating is apparently applied to both inside and outside (although I have no way of checking the inside without cutting them up). The heat on the pipe therefore less. I guess the only way to check this would be to just ceramic coat one pipe and do spot temperature comparisions. I only coated them for cosmetic reasons.

The finish is sort of semi-matt (or semi-gloss) so there is a bit of sheen apparent. Below is a picture of my friend's Beva, which inspired me to do the same. He chose an aluminium finish, I chose the black. Other colours are possible too.

I'm still a bit in the weeds on what is going on. The only other Guzzi I had was my loved 99 Bassa which has not moved on to my brothers hands, and it's pipes too did discolor, though not as fast and certainly not as much. They where SS. I just assumed that the Breva must not be SS as the rate and degree of tarnish is substantially more pronounced.

I'm am just wondering what material the pipes are made of, and does the higher state of tune of the Breva motor have something to do with it? Will Blue A-Way do anything?

It's not a big deal for me, I love this bike, no stinking yellow pipe can change that!

The B11's engine runs very hot. A French friend who spent some time in California and had a B11 there (some of you know him, Olivier), told me several times that his header pipes sometimes went glowing hot. I still can't believe that's normal, though.

I'm more for riding and less on polishing, hence my bike looks "used" rather than shiny.
If you don't polish the pipes at all they eventually go a deep matte colour and the liver spots aren't really noticable.
Whatever coating you use, whether ceramic or heat resistant paint, it will always fade.
Give it a few years and i might even give the bike the "3 cans of matte black" treatment :evil:

Back