• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Downsizing

I've been away from this board for a bit, but saw this thread and thought I had better throw in my two-bits on down-sizing.
Last April I rode home a '07 Norge, 14,000 km on it, new tires, a beautiful bike.
My reasons for buying it were two-fold, my wife couldn't ride long distance anymore and I had found my 1800 Gold Wing a bit too heavy. It seemed that ever since I had retired two years previous I had lost some upper body strength. So it only made sense to down-size.

Throughout the summer I did a number of rides on the Norge, from one-day to one-week rides and kept hearing myself say over and over again, this ain't no Gold Wing!
I had owned the Wing since 2003 and put over 150,000 km on it. We rode all over western Canada and the USA, as far south as the Mexican border and as far north as The Yukon. Many rides with my wife and many solo rides. And all were done in that six-month window we have from April to October every year.

And moving to the Norge proved to be a huge adjustment. It seemed I missed the comfort of the Wing, the upright seating position, the cruise control, it's huge torque and available power, the protection from the elements that it afforded and of course the anticipated long-term reliability.

I'm not putting down the Norge. In fact I know that if I had owned it prior to owning the Wing, I would have had a hard time parting with it. I have a friend in Arizona that also has a 1800 Wing. He recently bought a FJR with thoughts of downsizing one day. Guess what? He rides his Wing 90% of the time and the FJR sits. It seems he had the same adjustment issues as I.

So, bottom line. After buying the Norge, I parked the Wing and put it up for sale. But one day after a couple of months I had to take the Wing into town for some minor work. It was the first time riding it that year, and all the way into town I kept having to wipe that stupid grin off my face,and kept thinking why am I selling this bike?

So I went home and put the Norge up for sale, along with the Wing. No bites this year but next year which ever one sells first, I'll keep the other. I lowered the price on the Norge but held firm on the Wing.

Btw, I went on a weight-lifting program to improve my upper body strength.

So down-sizing didn't work for me. I'm not quite ready for it.

I started this post before Guzzi came out with the V85 Adventure.

I honestly believe that if that bike performs well & is not top heavy (I can pick it up easily) & has a 250 mile fuel capacity I will sell off my present bikes.

Returning to this thread after yesterday's short ride: I was never really into the really large and heavy bikes. Oh, I had a Goldwing once upon a time, and of course when I started riding anything with 750cc was considered a large and heavy bike. But by the standards of the past decade and some, all of my bikes have been middleweight at most.

I was off bikes, all two wheelers, entirely for a dozen years due to the ongoing disintegration of my right hip. I finally had it repaired two year and some back with a total hip replacement. It took me until last Spring to really start getting some strength back in my legs, due to other health problems. Last April I bought myself an ebike and started riding it every day, working my way down to no electric assist at all. A few weeks back, I tallied up over 1000 miles on it. In July I bought another motorcycle, finally, and started to work on how to ride again. That bike didn't work out for me, I hated riding it. I bought the V7III Racer in October. Racer and turned a thousand miles in just over a month, the same day in fact I turned a thousand miles on the ebike.

Yesterday, I took a short ride and now I know that I'm ready: Racer is fully broken in, and in my little backroad bimble yesterday I drifted him through two corners the way I once did with my LeMans and 850T. That bespeaks a level of security and control that I've been hoping would return. What a feeling! Can't describe it.

Racer is the same size, plus or minus, as my beloved Guzzi 850T and LeMans V of the past. Just Right. I don't need anything more (modulo the joy that a V11 Sport or Griso could offer—and if I went that way, they'd be an add, not a replacement). I love this Racer, and I'll ride it until I can no longer get my butt on the seat. I can ride anywhere on this bike, it's that comfortable to me. Can't wait for Spring to come around ... we'll be going places together. :D

Onwards!

I went From this.
To this.
364a9abe 9f8b 4d36 94de a2eec21ca73d zpsv9kycbtv
To finally these two, a classic 4th generation Triumph Thunderbird and a 2016 Griso. Although great for high speed highway travel, I don't miss those big heavy beasts at all. With those two bikes, I really missed the essence of riding and I just had to get back to basics to get that big ole grin back on my face.
1024ee7
1080p1en

What year is the T-Bird? Gorgeous bike!
Its an 03 Thunderbird 900, last year made for that style that was made from 1994 to 2003. They made the Thunderbird Sport until 04. Those triple cylinder Hinckley motors had a lot of grunt for only being 900's. After that they completely changed the style of the Thunderbird and they became full blown cruisers at 1600 & 1700 cc's.

Not a fan of the "new" T-Birds at all, very top heavy & no style.
That '03 is a great looking bike.

I haven't really followed the Triumph models at all in recent years. But when I was at the dealership, I sat on one of them and it just felt "big and in the way" to me. I really dislike it when sitting on a motorcycle it feels like the tank come halfway up my chest. :)

I'm so far beyond the notion of buying a bike because it will impress other people with its specs... :D
Amen to that! For me, at 65 and with many of the ailments others here have, the V7 is just about the perfect package. With some of Todd's goodies installed I expect it'll be even perfecter ;). I've have had quite an array of Japanese and Italian performance bikes over the 54 years behind bars, and as I look back through my recolectorscope there are only 2 others that ever came seriously close the V7 I now have as just beautiful bikes to ride. This one will see me out I reckon.

Back