• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dreaded internal fuel hose issue

Hydrolastic

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Earlier this year, I replaced the fuel filter and fuel hoses on my 2003 Cal Titanium, based on warnings both here and in Guzziology about the hoses coming off due to swelling with ethanol. Mine had the updated hoses, and an all metal filter, but I replaced them anyway since they were either original or not much newer. I used the Gates submersible hose, and screw type fuel injection clamps. This past weekend, I had the hose come off of the fuel pump outlet on a nice weekend ride. Luckily the weather was nice, I had a nice safe place to pull over, and was only 40 miles or so from home. When I opened things up today, it looks like I just didn't get the clamps tightened up enough, or it loosened up somehow. Here are my observations after doing this job twice:

• The most difficult part of removing the pump assembly is getting everything past the zip tie, in particular the clasp. Next time I will probably just cut it and replace it. EDIT - zip tie isn't available separately, not sure if a generic one is submersible in fuel. I guess I'll just have to wrestle with it.
  • If you use the Gates hose, you will probably have to cut the pump outlet to filter hose to get it back out. The hose is a lot larger outside than the OEM corrugated one. It took a lot of persuasion to get it in, and it was relatively easy to get out with the hose disconnected.
  • I want to thank Todd for his tip on watching for swirling fuel in the tank when you cycle the key in a post from a few years ago. Made it easy to tell what the issue was.
  • I think I will go back to OEM (black corrugated) hoses the next time. They are easier to manipulate, smaller in O.D. but larger in I.D. than the Gates hose, especially around some of the sharper bends. If I do that, I will likely use the OEM oetiker clamps as well, since that diameter is hard to find in a screw clamp. EDIT - OEM hoses may not be available anymore, although the hoses and the entire pump assembly appear to be the same or very similar to the one on the V7II. Not sure what I'll go with in the future.
  • If you use screw clamps, be sure and get them tight, and watch that the screw end doesn't make the assembly too wide to drop in. Also be sure the protruding screw end won't contact any of the wires.
I have seen where radiator and heater hose clamps were overtightened, distorting the outlet in the process. In this case, they have to be really tight, especially on the pump outlet, since there is almost no barb on the end of the outlet. Hopefully I won't have to go back in for a while.

Dave

Last edited:
Not sure if the corrugated hose on yours is the same as the current V7III, but when I nicked the hose while replacing the stock fuel filter on the V7III, I actually found an identical replacement on Amazon:

On amazon, search "Goodies Speed 75114"

__Jason

This may be why I prefer oetiker clamps for fuel line.
Yes - I'm an oetiker convert. Especially for in-tank applications, where you only want to do the job once.

EDIT: well... I guess you don't want external fuel lines unexpectedly coming apart either :)

__Jason

Back