• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ducati Custom build

buzzer

Tuned and Synch'ed
well my Guzzi build has come to an end, and is now in the back of the workshop waiting for some good weather. So onto the next project which I bought 3 months ago... this will be Ducati number 10, but I want to do something a bit different this time. It came with a pile of tasty parts, some brand new... there are lightweight forged wheels, big front brakes, Ohlins suspension, which will go to making a quick and light bike.

I have ordered a load of stuff, but due to strikes and the time of year nothing will be here till the new year… so the first job on this build was to make the throttle of all things. I made similar for the Guzzi build and it worked well, so this is an enhanced version of that with a slightly smaller cable wheel as the Guzzi throttle is a little too quick… I refined my silver soldering technique after watching the repair shop, and I have to say it worked rather well!

52573574618_0c88cd1366_o-copy.jpg

52587722923_7cb4de3077_o-copy.jpg

52586835707_d0083057ab_o-copy.jpg

throttle-3-copy.jpg

Last edited:
As I wanted this to be different to the other builds, I tried several other tanks… I had an ST4 tank and a Monster tank that had too many holes to repair, so I cut these down… while I liked the ST tank, I couldn’t get the seat to tie in… I didn’t like the monster tank… So off to the bike breakers… he gave me the key to his storage unit... and said "say hi to the ghost!"

I walked around looking at the hundreds of tanks in there, discounting the plastic ones, of which there were many… the slope of the frame makes the choices limited... Nothing took my eye. Its a VERY old building though, and I have to say it spooked me somewhat being in there on my own, lots of creaking noises, and scuttling sounds which were probably rats... I didn't stay longer than I needed!

In the end I went back to the 999 tank I have used before. Another with some holes in the bottom where its rusted out.

52604526524_1f09c75a72_o-copy.jpg

No one is an Expert at Everything !

My father in law was a war Veteran/ POW and government worker,

But self taught guitar builder, used a mirror to look at the inside of a Martin guitar and built three from Scratch !
Then bought himself a metal lathe to build parts to fix his own guns, or replace substandard pieces on stuff he purchased…

just a smart, resourceful man !

You must be a retired machinist?

Please don’t tell e you are a “hobbyist “ here because that will just make me feel more pathetic with my limited skills.

I started my working life as a car mechanic, then transport workshop manager, then fleet engineer... then at 35 I changed career completely into project and programme management, mainly in IT! I was lucky to be able to retire at 55, which was 14 years ago! I have no training in machining or anything like it, but the internet is a wonderful teacher!

Nothing like a Ducati with a dry clutch! Probably best sounding bike at idle. What model is that? I love the “repair shop “. To bad it’s not on my cable provider.

I am going to be honest here and say it annoys the hell out of me! Last year I had a guy in a van pull up along side me and look down, he said" I should get that fixed mate!" here is a short clip of my other Ducati!

And I would've just thought to use a simple junction box for the extra cables :) ! Which of
course would have been no where near as creative (or fun ) . Peter

On a previous build I did just that! it worked OK, but I was never really happy with the action, hence the 4 cable throttle...

throttle-linkage.jpg

While I love the look of a nice velocity stack they are not really practical for the road, hence while I make them for the photos I take, I like to use foam filters on the road. this of course means I need some suitable adaptors, which although you can buy them are REALLY expensive. these took a while to machine out of billet! I sometimes get asked where I get my material from for the lathe and miller. I am really lucky that there is a scrap yard locally that lets me hunt through the bins! They take scrap in from some of the aerospace companies so there are sometimes some nice bar ends in the skips. What is great about that is the bar ends are often etched with the material specification!

I don’t usually pay as I take my scrap in there and he writes the value in the back of his desk diary, and then as I take stuff, he takes the value off! he has done this for me for over 30 years! A few years ago I went in early in the year… he was no longer there as he had retired and I learned that his grandson had taken the company over. We chatted and I mentioned about the diary as I had a few pounds credit… The lad said he knew all about it and it was in the back of the book!

bells1-copy.jpg

bells-2-copy.jpg

Ohhh you lucky guy ! I have a scrap yard 1/2 hr away from me , but , most of the pieces are a few meters
long and they won't cut them :( . On my home made lathe ( too long covid ,too much YouTube) I feel good
when I turn something I can measure with a ruler >:D Peter

I am going to be honest here and say it annoys the hell out of me! Last year I had a guy in a van pull up along side me and look down, he said" I should get that fixed mate!" here is a short clip of my other Ducati!

I have a Ducati desert sled and it’s for sale, if I get my price I could be in the market for a monster Evo! Yours in the video didn’t have that ring a ding ding sound, actually sounded pretty bad, like a spun bearing, could be my iPhone…

Last edited:
Back