• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Duct Fun (NGC)

geodoc

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just for a little burst of winter wild-ass. Friend Tom Mellor is modifying his Triumph Trident salt-flats record holder for this next year's BUB event (my shop space is a little nook in his shop).

The trick now is an airbox that will (1): provide ambient temp air to the carbs (2): increase the pressure at 170 MPH+ to (hopefully) about 3/4" MAP above station pressure. (3): I'm sworn to not blab about #3.

Pink stuff is a form for laying up fiberglass on top of for construction of the inlet 'S' duct. Inlet mouth is machined out of a solid block of aluminum.

He'll be in the 1000cc class this year (in 750 partially streamlined pushrod gas last year) he did 180+ in 2008 and is hoping to break 200 this year.

Subtle Crowbar .............. the gauntlet is getting thrown down! The Canadians are coming and they're going faster than 99 motherf****rs!

01-24-11_2.jpg

01-24-11_1.jpg

Here's the finished intake duct and airbox plenum with tricky low pressure compensating door.

Attachments

• 02-17-11_1.jpg
    02-17-11_1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 983
  • 02-17-11_3.jpg
    02-17-11_3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 983
  • 02-17-11_4.jpg
    02-17-11_4.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 983
I will.

BTW, the air filter is from a house furnace.

Shocking .......................

guzzigray said:
Beautiful work. Say hi to Tom for me and good luck.

Beautiful work as usual George. Designing airboxes is I think a bit of a black art - I've seen some that look like they should work well but didn't and vice versa. How are you going to test it?

And did you vent the float bowls to the plenum? Again finding the right place to stick the tap is a bit of a trick. I tried to sort one out once with a buddy and well we never got it to carburete correctly.

I think it would be easier these days as digital manometers are really cheap. If you are really cheap motorola make a pressure tranducer that is referenced to sea level that is both cheap and robust - we use the MPX5010. Available at Digikey for 15$

Heh Chris,

I should clarify - the duct work was fabricated by friend and garage-mate Tom Mellor's Bonneville record breaking T150 Trident.

He's planning to test it out in Seattle at a guy's dyno that supposedly has a blower set-up that can simulate a 150 MPH airflow. His hope is to see if at that speed the pressure in the airbox will at least equal or better yet, exceed atmospheric pressure. Looking at what the by-pass door does on the airbox should give some indication, but an actual reading of the pressure would be better of course. I believe Tom is planning to use a water manometer for the dyno run to get an idea. I wonder whether an airplane altimeter would work nicely. At the salt flats there's no room for instrumentation though.

Chris R said:
Beautiful work as usual George. Designing airboxes is I think a bit of a black art - I've seen some that look like they should work well but didn't and vice versa. How are you going to test it?

And did you vent the float bowls to the plenum? Again finding the right place to stick the tap is a bit of a trick. I tried to sort one out once with a buddy and well we never got it to carburete correctly.

I think it would be easier these days as digital manometers are really cheap. If you are really cheap motorola make a pressure tranducer that is referenced to sea level that is both cheap and robust - we use the MPX5010. Available at Digikey for 15$

Back