• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

E5 V85TT GTM Fuel Kit: 600 mile customer report

Francis Lukesh

Always learning. No disrespect intended, ever.
GT di Razza Pura
If you have an E5 V85TT, I highly recommend you read this. I'm not being paid to say any of this, Todd didn't see this writeup before I posted it, and there's no incentive for me to do this other than a passion for motorcycles, and Moto Guzzi in particular.

The short story is that if you're riding a stock E5 V85TT, I hate to say this, but you're riding a neutered motorcycle. Blame the government or whatever, but it's a fact. If you're content with the performance you're getting, I don't want to "yuck your yum": I know we're not all here because Guzzis are known for their blistering performance. However, the V85 is an ADV touring machine, and as it's setup from the factory, it really doesn't do that well. Let me explain:

If you have all the bags off, and you're 160lbs, you'll have a nice, relaxed ride. However, once you load it up with 70+ lbs of gear, a passenger, and a full tank, you're going to feel it. You'll have to twist the throttle way beyond where you want to get up hills. You'll rev the ever loving shit out of it if you want to pass a car. You'll feather the clutch more than you want to at takeoffs. In general, at least for me, the bike did not feel "correct."

After getting some performance back on my V7 with GT fueling, I decided to really go for it with the GTM Werks system with the PC6/AT300/UpMap fueling solution for my new V85 Guardia d'Onore. I had recently sold my FJR1300, on which I toured across the country several times, and dearly loved. However, my love for Guzzi won out, and losing about 125lbs wet wasn't bad either. That's another thing: I weighed my bike. The FJR with full luggage was 690lbs wet. Even after removing the stock exhaust system, EVAP, SAS, etc... the V85 was 525lbs wet, 565lbs with the bags on. That's way more than the claimed 508lbs by Guzzi. Whatever you think your power/weight ratio is, it's worse. Anyway, I was accustomed to the 1300cc inline-4 rocketship, and knew that I'd be compromising a bit there w/ the V85, and wanted to give it the best shot at being my new touring machine.

After Todd worked out all the kinks (dealing with UpMap seems to have been a real pain), I finally got my GTM kit. You can read about the installation in this thread. It cost me just under $4K all told, about +30% to the cost of the bike. Let's say the bike cost me $17,000. Is it worth it? Yes. I'm not going to get into a dollars-for-donuts discussion here, but say you went with a Tiger 900GT or Tiger 900GT Pro - you're in for approximately the same cost... with no luggage. You're getting a bit more of modern bike, for sure, but again, that's not why we're here.

I installed the kit, and then was absolutely blown away by how much Todd's engaged with me. He's looking at trims, adjusting the base map, and overall just making sure that my bike is perfectly set up. Good luck getting this anywhere else. Over the next couple weeks and many emails, sending maps back and forth, we got the bike tuned to a point where I think it's running the way it was supposed to. Correctly. Finally free. Also, since the E5 version of this is new, I'm betting that the next customer is going to get some of the benefits of this work.

This past weekend, I went on a 600-mile "appetizer" ride. Next week, I leave for a 2,000-mile tour down to Barber to see MotoAmerica, and wanted to make sure it was running it perfect shape. I was loaded down with luggage and a passenger, weighing in at about 940lbs total. Not only did the V85 perform exceptionally well, it felt like it outperformed the stock setup without any luggage or a passenger. Let that sink in. The throttle response was smooth and linear, and I had no issues feeling like I had enough power left to maneuver, pass, etc.

On back roads: on speeds less than 65mph, the bike feels incredible. On segments of the trip where we weren't on any highway, I was averaging about 50mpg, and not even thinking about it. I had a few sections where I "tested" the bike a bit, although in general with a passenger, I wanted a fun but smooth ride. It was an amazing experience, one that would not be possible with the stock setup.

On the highway: this is where things get really interesting. Before the upgrade, on speeds > 65mph, I was really disappointed. I knew it wasn't the FJR, but also I was almost preparing myself to just be disappointed with the bike on the highway or faster roads. It would cruise ok, but it just had nothing left. The new setup really shines here. You want to go faster? Just roll the throttle. Not that I recommend this, but in 6th gear the road between 65 and 95 is shorter than you'd think. Definitely don't hang out there, but in a passing situation, no problem.

Regarding pure acceleration, I don't have 0-60 numbers for you, but I will say: "quick." 4-5 seconds, maybe? It feels much faster on takeoff than stock. It feels right for the bike.

At the end of the day, this is more than just "more power." It's about the type of power and throttle response. An optimally-running (and therefore longer-lasting) engine. A lighter motorcycle. And ultimately, way, way more fun. None of us truly need a motorcycle (debatable), but it's really a passion purchase. I'm telling you that if you want to unlock 100% more fun for 30% more money, do yourself a favor and fix your V85.

Back