Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

ECU and Warning Lights

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Jkd, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Jkd

Jkd Just got it firing!

Hi all - I'm looking at changing out the stock gauges and replacing with something smaller. The concern is that the replacement gauge only has one programmable general alarm / alert light.

Am I stuck having to choose only one of the four (MGCT, MI, ABS, and General Alarm (RPM)) that are currently present on the v7iii?

Is it possible to send the signal from all four to a single alert light on the new speedo?

Thank you!

2. Oadslug

Oadslug Tuned and Synch'ed

My understanding, from previous thread, is that the tach on v7iii can not be easily replaced as it is integral to the ECU. I was hoping to do the same... but doesn’t sound practical.

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Quick test is to unplug the speedo (and tacho) on the back of the gauge, and try to start the bike. If it does, you can do whatever you'd like.

4. Oadslug

Oadslug Tuned and Synch'ed

Even if it did work, now that I know what all the tach does, I don't think I would replace it. Sounds like you would loose the ability to control the MGCT (+ trip meters, distance travelled in reserve, temperature, etc.) Little overkill, but kinda nice. Gauges on my previous bikes (Guzzi v11 Sport, et al) were pretty basic in comparison. What I wouldn't miss at all is the freakin x-mas tree that lights up when you start the bike — can they tone it down a bit please! Seriously...I really don't need to see the left/right blinker warnings flash endlessly. If you know any hackers that can turn that sh*t off, please let me know.

5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Throw a sack over the gauges before you turn the key on.

6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I very much doubt you could just parallel up all four alarms to one indicator, they are bound to conflict with each other somehow, so you would have to think of a way to keep all electrically seperated.
    Then of course you would have the fun of seeing an alarm warning and trying to work out what it was for, some are actually important.

But it's your bike, your life. If you want to risk it because the ABS has failed and you hadn't realised, it's up to you.

john zibell likes this.
  7. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I like the light show, and prefer the informational displays over my older bikes' lack of information. Diff'rent strokes for different folks, I guess. I do wish I had the big white-faced tach that my LeMans V had, though: I thought it looked darn cool! :D

Mayakovski likes this.
  8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

In fact it should be fairly simple, simply set up an "OR" gate by including a small diode in series with each alarm source.

But I agree that it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

9. Jkd

Jkd Just got it firing!

Thanks all. The guy I had lined up for this bailed due to the risk / his ability. Will need to continue to look for options...
    The original plan was to replace the dual gauges with the Motogadget Chronoclassic. Then I thought I could add 5 of these to handle all the other warnings from the bike. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000THMK66/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_9pLPBb6KJ0NWP Figured these or just one light connected to multiple ECU alerts could be figured out and reset using the ECU re-flash tool when tripped.

Going to see if I can get the box and cabling from this set up to compliment my Chronoclassic baakmotocyclettes.com/en/home/107-mini-speedometer-for-moto-guzzi-v7.html

hopefully good news to come... thanks again.

10. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

The flashing doesn't bother me much but what I couldn't stand was the blue high beam indicator. It's brighter than the headlight reflection! I put a little black sticker over it. It cut the brightness a bit.

Oadslug likes this.
  11. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I do the same. I usually turn the instrument lighting to minimum, but it doesn't affect the indicator lights enough, and that high beam light is simply too bright.

12. Jkd

Jkd Just got it firing!

For those interested - the latest from BAAK. "there is no way to fit a Motogadget Chronoclassic on a V7 III, we’re currently trying to develop an electronic box that would enable us make such a modification but it’s not completed at the moment. The speedometers / wiring harness / electronic boxe parts we offer on our website are not compatible with the V7 III."

The saga continues...