• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU Swap/PC-V Update --PLEASE READ--

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
OK Folks, I'll have a confirmation on Monday or Tuesday about my ability to manipulate the 5AM ECU. Here's what I will likely offer, and explanation why:

I will be able to offer a ECU swap program, and a new PC-V for $1000~1200 USD. The ECU exchange will include revised timing and disabled 02-sensor input, which will allow use of the PC-V (allowing dyno-tuning or AutoTune option for $250 USD - as shown at the bottom). This will allow *you* to build the map you need, though I'll offer it in one or two variations for each model (i.e. Stock or with slip-on and...) I will also offer a $55 open-lid airbox conversion, which will include a bolt-on CNC ring. Open-lid airboxes have shown 4~5 hp/torque on the Calis with proper fueling revisions. How many would be interested in the whole kit including the airbox kit?

I feel this is the best solution, as I cannot spend the time on the dyno developing maps for every configuration. I will have MANY thousands invested to do this, and need a solid pre-order count (likely with non-refundable deposit) to do this. Of my 8+ years on the dyno with Guzzis, *EVERY* bike needs it's own map, even bone stock or otherwise. Post your thoughts below.

AutoTune Module & PC-V:
autotune_universal_fit_kit.jpg

This is the user screen for the AutoTune module that allows *you* to set the target A/F Ratio to build your own map:
autotune_graph_1_l.jpg

Will the ECU be modified by you? The AUTOTUNE will allow me to tune the mixture without a probe, correct? So it will save the cost of a custom map? So if I do other changes later I can touch it up with the AUTOTUNE & a lap top?
Thanks,
Don-M aka Kid Thunder

If I'm understanding correctly, the ECU would have to be removed, shipped to you and later refitted.

I could probably swallow the dollar bills, but it sounds like too much work if a PC5 will ever become available? As I noted a month or so back, I really just want a magic box to plug into my machine and forget it.

Joe

Don, yes I personally will be modifying the ECU. The AutoTune option requires the wide-band 02 sensor (shown) to be fitted to your exhaust in order to work. Yes, it equates to roughly the price of a custom map. Whatever changes you make to your bike, you can correct the fueling using the AutoTune, correct.

Joe, the ECU swap will be either; You mail me yours, I'll reflash it and mail you the entire kit, or I can mail one out with a core charge, and credit that back upon receiving yours. I too would like to have the PC-V only, but this is the only way in short-term to get this going any time soon. Dynojet has agreed to build these units for me, but it requires elimination of the 02-sensor input on the stock ECU to do so.

Hey Todd,

First of all, thanks for all of your hard work and diligence in figuring this out. It certainly seems to be the best option at hand for souping up a GRiSO 1100.

Unfortunately, this option doesn't fit into my moto budget right now and not likely through the end of the year. Maybe by the time my warrantee period is over I'd be more inclined to consider it. There are a bunch of GRiSOs out there these days, so your efforts may ultimately bear a bit more fruit down the line after the early adopters jump in.

SD

RacerX wrote:
I too would like to have the PC-V only, but this is the only way in short-term to get this going any time soon.

Forgive me if I am reading between the lines unnecessarily, are you saying that long term there might be a different solution or combination with the PCV?

Mike.C wrote:
Forgive me if I am reading between the lines unnecessarily, are you saying that long term there might be a different solution or combination with the PCV?
Mike, can't say when, but there might be a point in time that the PC-V might become available to work, as delivered. Right now, I've gotten them to agree to build units per above.
If/when they become available, it would likely include an (additionally priced) 02-controller and would not offer any timing revision options that I will be handling on the ECU. For expense reasons, I will not be spending many hours on the dyno building complete maps for complete ECU reflashes at this time.

That clearer? :pinch:

I need to think about it longer as that's a lot of cash for me. But I like the idea and if I can swing it financially I am in. I need some time to raise that kind of cash, though. Count me in and let me know the final price. I would want the PC-V, Auto Tune setup and airbox lid eliminator. Do I get a discount for being the first one to say yes?

Message today from Dynotec:

We are only making the PC5 for 2009 models and currently we have no plans on making anything for the newer Moto Guzzis.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Mike Shefler

Dynojet Research Inc.

1-800-992-4993

So what was all this that work was being done to have them ready end of last April?

Joe

Well, as you can see from this thread they have been unable to make the PCV work with the O2 sensor. Not sure if it is only the Guzzi that they have this issue with but I doubt it. I would think it would apply to any bike with the same ECU (new Ducatis and what not). The fix/work around is here as RacerX announced. It is more money then just a PCV (about $500 more I think) but since I paid more money for my Guzzi then it's worth ($13K for an air cooled push rod twin?) I suppose it's only fitting. Really, though. This kind of thing is to be expected when you by a bike out side of the main stream. With the amazingly low number of bikes Guzzi sells every year it is not worth the effort to develop a product just for Guzzi's and my best hope was they'd figure it out for the Ducati's and it would also happen to work on Guzzi's.

Todd, I am interested too. My problem is I am still smarting from buying a new bike and don't know when I will be able to swing the dollars to purchase this.

If I don't get in on the first round, will this be available at a later date?

Or am I SOL.:(

Thanks, Steve

The answer from Dyno Jet was a little confusing to me!
They said that they were only making the PC -V for 2009 Guzzis & nothing later. What does that mean? I have a 2009 Griso 8V, is that what they are making it for? Or do they mean something else? I heard that the fuel injection is difference on the Griso than the Stelvo.
Is that true? That message was about as clear as mud!
Don-M
PS: Lets hope that they make one for the Ducati, in time, that will work on The Guzzi.

My understanding, which may be completely wrong, is that the PCV for the W5.9AM equipped Dukes is a.) still a way off and b.) won't work because of different pin configurations on the 'Pooter.

Whether there is any truth in this I don't know. I'm blind stag on the whole issue.

Pete

Kid Thunder wrote:
The answer from Dyno Jet was a little confusing to me!
They said that they were only making the PC -V for 2009 Guzzis & nothing later. What does that mean? I have a 2009 Griso 8V, is that what they are making it for? Or do they mean something else? I heard that the fuel injection is difference on the Griso than the Stelvo.
Is that true? That message was about as clear as mud!
Don-M
PS: Lets hope that they make one for the Ducati, in time, that will work on The Guzzi.

They didn't say "2009 Guzzi's, They said "...only...2009 models and currently we have no plans on making anything for the newer Moto Guzzis."
What they meant by that is they make Power Commanders for older Guzzi's (not the PC-V though)

But from what I've heard and seen, they have yet to figure out how to make the PC-V work on the O2 equipped Italian bikes. It is not just Guzzi's that have this issue and it is not just a matter of will they or won't they make one for our bikes. Before they make one for us they first have to figure out HOW to make it work. The ECU on our bikes keeps trying to adjust the fueling towards its pre-determined target. When we change the fueling with a PC-V or anything else the ECU will promptly try to adjust it back. So it is not as simple as it once was.
I'm done waiting. I think I'll go the way RacerX is selling.

Same here. I posted on another thread, but I'm in.

Money tight right now, but I'm willing to put up a deposit for delivery in a couple/three months.

Joe

Thanks, a little "play" on words.
I plan on doing the RacerX thing but first have to get the money up from the right side exhaust. Money money it's ONLY money!!
I'm 60 & plan on leaving any for my kids.
Don-M

What sort of turn around time from Australia to do this and final price --
Swagzz

I've got a spare ECU that I'm hoping Todd can use for *experimental* work. If I get that to swap to my bike then I can get the one currently on mine sorted and I'll have a time-free exchange here. If you want to come up for a tuning session I have ccess to an AF dyno in Canberra.

pete

Hi Pete
A really good excuse to go for a run to Canberra down some backroads and as someone else said its only money:woohoo:
and a dyno map set up for itwith baffles in and out could be handy :whistle:
later swagzz

Back