RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

ECU updates. How often?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Jenko, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

I've just bought a new V7ii Racer. On one of my other bikes, a Triumph Bonneville, I bought an ECU downloadable program that I remapped my ECU with, after changing the exhaust, airbox and removing secondary air injection systems and O2 sensors. Yes, it does give better performance, but the main reason for doing so was to improve the sound from the sewing machine sound, to a proper Brit twin sound. I'm happy with it now, but it was a real pain in the rear to do the ECU programming, as I'm mechanically minded but not happy with computers. My other bike, a BMW 1150 has been serviced by me from new, and never had an ECU update, yet runs perfectly despite being 13 years old and high mileage.

So... eventually!... My question is, how often should my Guzzi V7ii ECU need updating at services?
    I'm going to get it dealer serviced just to maintain the warranty, but after that I'll do it myself. I'm not planning on changing exhausts so won't need to remap it like the Triumph. As my nearest Guzzi dealer is a long way from me, I want to get it serviced by my local Triumph dealer. They said they can do it, and it'll still be covered by warranty, (and be half the cost of the Guzzi dealer!) but they cannot do the ECU updates.

Will it really need ECU updates?

Any advice appreciated.
    Jenko.

If the

2. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

The last ECU update to the V7 really helped low RPM fueling. Will it need another one? I don't know. Moto Guzzi may decide they are done - or not. Will it "need" an update? The answer is purely subjective. You may find an issue that an update will fix, you may not. If it seems OK, I would let your Triumph dealer service your bike. Drop in on a MG dealer occasionally and have them check for an updated map. If you call ahead, they will usually accommodate you while you wait. It only takes a minute or two.

Triumph stopped allowing aftermarket ECU fuel map updates on the Street and Speed Triple in 2013. I suspect the new Street Twins have been cobbled as well.

3. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for that. I had planned to get the first service done by a Guzzi dealer, QB in Dudley, on the basis that they should know what they're doing, including the ECU updates. After that, I'll probably take your advice, get it serviced at Triumph and just pop in once a year to a Guzzi dealer to get the ECU updated if necessary. I can't wait for the warranty period to end so I can do the servicing myself. I suppose I could do it now, but there would be an awful Homer Simson feeling of Doh!!! if something went wrong and the warranty was void.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the ECU update question? I know I could get it "flashed" but I don't think a standard machine would benefit from the expense of that.

Jenko.

4. Keith Broughton

Keith Broughton Tuned and Synch'ed

I have an '09 V7C.
    What is the process for finding out if there is a factory ECU update available?
    Check with the dealer?
    Is there any online info?

Wahoo650 likes this.
  5. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

At the moment, I have a "standard machine" with Todd's reflash. It may be the best mod you can do to a bike. Low RPM fueling is much improved, you don't have to wait more than a few seconds to let it warm up, and fuel delivery is smooth and consistent all the way to fuel cut-off (7K).

Sometimes you can find info online, but then you have to know what you have on your bike to see if you need an update. There's no easy way to do that. The easiest way is to just drop in on a dealer. They'll just plug it in and the machine will tell them if there is an update available. Like I said earlier, most dealers can do it in a few minutes while you wait.

6. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

7. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

8. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

So what would be the advantage of that over buying a Dynojet Power Commander and just plugging it in? Or am I missing something her?

9. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Todd can adjust the ignition timing as well as fueling. Plus, if you don't have do something about the O2 sensor inputs the power commander has limited effect anyway. The O2 sensor will correct fueling changes that the power commander makes unless you take the O2 sensors out of the loop. So without doing something like a re-flash the power commander can only adjust open loop fueling, like at or near full throttle. The biggest gains for most people are improving drivability by adjusting what is currently the closed loop part of the fueling.
    My Griso has been flashed by Todd to remove the O2 sensor and adjust the ignition timing. I also have a power commander from Todd to adjust fueling. But nowadays you can get pretty much great results from Todd with just a re-flash in a box.

10. Jenko

Jenko Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks. It all sounds really complex. I think for now, I'll stick with Guzzi ECU updates as and when. I know they won't be as performance orientated as Todd's stuff, but then again, if I wanted GSXR performance, I should've bought one of those!
    Maybe I'm just getting old! Can't keep up with hi-tech stuff!

11. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

It really isn't that complex. And it is not so much about the amount of performance as it is about the quality. The biggest gains in a proper mapping are in drivability and control.

12. Keith Broughton

Keith Broughton Tuned and Synch'ed

13. rbm

rbm Cruisin' Guzzisti

One advantage is the limited applicability of the PC-V. The PC-V with AT200 only works with the early dual throttle body V7's (up to 2011). It doesn't work with the later single throttle body V7s (2012+). Todd's ECUreflash or reflash tool works with all models of V7 AFAIK.