Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Edelweiss Bike Travels High Alpine Tour

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by BravoBravo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BravoBravo

BravoBravo Cruisin' Guzzisti

My wife Gail and I recently did the Edelweiss High Alpine Tour. Awesome experience! This was my first time in Europe. The bike they provided was a BMW R1200RT. That's us in the attached pic on our way up the Grossglockner Pass in Austria. In retrospect, I wish I had opted for an 800. The RT was a bit of a heavy pig going through the many switchbacks on those mountain roads. Otherwise, it was a great bike. It was powerful, smooth, and had a very comfortable seat. We even had a chance to do a brief 160 kph blast down part of the Autobahn. After the tour was done, we rented a car and traveled around Austria, Italy, and Germany for four more days. I made sure to work in a stop at the Moto Guzzi museum in Mandello del Lario. As most of you know, it is only open one hour a day during week days (3-4 PM.) Very cool place. I told Gail I felt like I was in a shrine. She kind of rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, me too." :D

Cheers,

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. norton369

norton369 Tuned and Synch'ed

Well I'm jealous now! :mrgreen:

3. ferdi

ferdi Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Bruce,

really nice route :mrgreen: .
    [​IMG]
    http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/allTour ... -tour.html

this route combines the most famous roads and passes in this area.
    Großglockner, Sella Ronda (Passo Pordoi, Grödner Joch, Falzarego, Passi di Giau), Passo di Stelvio .........

I suppose you had a lot of traffic there, especially at Großglockner - to be honest - Großglockner is a road you have to be done as Austrian (where I come from), but there are a lot more exciting passes with much less traffic. Großglocker without traffic and road charge would be perfect. But with all the other highlights - a really fine route with lots of fun. I can imagine that for a guy who is used to highways and really wide roads some of them were challenging. Especially with a bus coming across in a U-turn :mrgreen: . Most of them we "pick up" on our tours, beside many other much smaller and not so famous passes with much less traffic and even more fun.
    But "Sella Ronda" and Stelvio are always mandatory :lol: .
    In this area you can make holidays every year and find new exciting roads every time. Perfect for motorbiking.
    We also take some days each year and go with our "sharp"= 240hp+ Mini Cooper S there :mrgreen: .
    http://www.hobbycaptain.at/video/PASSO_PORDOI.WMV

the same with a R1200GS from someone in youtube

really nice Europe travel [​IMG]

4. BravoBravo

Hello Ferdi. Yes, some of the roads were quite a bit more challenging than what I am accustomed to, especially when sharing those sharp turns with buses and trucks! :D Everyone we met was totally welcoming and nice. We were also very impressed with how neat and tidy it was wherever we went. No garbage, no litter. Just beautiful scenery everywhere.

Best regards,

Bruce

5. BravoBravo

It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip, Guy! We will be paying for it for a while yet! :shock:

Cheers,

Bruce

6. norton369

norton369 Tuned and Synch'ed

Might as well spend it now before the worlds banking system collapses completely later this week. :eek:

7. guzzirider

guzzirider Cruisin' Guzzisti

I was on the Grossglockner on 27th June and saw a group of riders from Edelweiss tours- was it yourself?

Cheers

Guy

8. BravoBravo

No, we were on the Grossglockner on July 18 - it would have been the same tour route though, just an earlier group.

Best regards,

Bruce

9. greg

greg Tuned and Synch'ed

great photos Bruce.
    next time we get together we'll be able to compare notes!

10. BravoBravo

Thanks Greg. Have a great trip! I will look forward to seeing your pics as well.

Cheers,

Bruce