RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Eldorado bouncy rear fender

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by derider, Oct 7, 2018.

1. derider

derider Just got it firing!

I'd like to fix my rear fender on the Eldorado that bounces around on rough roads and makes the bike look not as solid as it otherwise is. I was thinking of drilling two holes through the rear seat support where it's in contact with the fender with rubber grommets in between to attach them and hopefully stop the annoying flopping around. Do you all think this will work or is there any other ideas out there. Thanks

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Are you sure you haven't lost any of the mounting bolts? That occurred on my Custom when I first got it.

3. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

Close inspection might reveal a crack in or around one or more of the 3 formed plastic bolt holes, my Custom rear fender failed a few months in and the first thing I noticed was that it was 'bouncy' too.

4. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

It's an annoying condition that makes the bike look cheap at stoplights. The only thought I had for a fix would be to dismount the fender, then lay down a strip of fiberglass with epoxy resin. Either that or some thin metal to reinforce. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it is embarassing. My Bobber has metal fenders but they went with plastic on the "high end" bike.

5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Are you able to claim a warranty replacement? They shouldn't bounce as much as you describe.

6. derider

Thanks for the advice guys, I will have the dealer check on warranty to see if it's not mounted properly. after that I will look at other options. Eldo1400 or anyone else could you please post on here if you manage to reinforce your fender or if anyone makes an aftermarket metal or carbon fiber fender

7. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

If the video works this is mine at idle. Everything is standard just made sure all bolts etc. were tight.

8. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Hi derider, couldn't upload a video here but uploaded it to youtube. My guard at idle. if yours shakes more than this then bolts are either loose or missing. Nothing has been done to mine except to make sure everything is tight.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Just got it firing!

I was considering installing two thin steel bars down either side of that center line with the wiring in it, with epoxy to make it solid. It is kinda annoying to have that "Shimmy" as the engine idles. Either that or I am going to have to get to work on some sheetmetal and then have it painted but, that would be a huge PITA and I am not going to want to that.

10. derider

Sounds like a good fix, if you do it some pics and comment would be appreciated

11. FrankZ

FrankZ Just got it firing!

I've been ignoring my shaking rear fender for awhile, decided to finally tear it off and look at it today. I left the rear brace assembly attached to the fender when I removed it from the bike. I couldn't see any kind of cracking in the fender or the bracing. I simply reassembled it, picking up on the license plate as I tightened all the bolts, seems much firmer now. None of the bolts seemed loose, but there's a definite improvement. Maybe the rear brace manages to shake itself out of adjustment over a period of time. Seems like the design is lacking in quality. I'm thinking a permanent fix would be to remove the rear brace from the fender, and weld it in place where it attaches to the bike frame, then assemble the fender to it. Not that I plan to do that, a little too permanent of a repair for my taste. I'll just loosen up the bolts and re-position it, until that fix doesn't work anymore.

For anybody that wants to try this, there are 5 bolts that need to be loosened and re-tightened. After removing the rear seat, loosen the 3 bolts (10 mm socket) holding the rear seat base/grab rail, and 2 more that face up inside the fender (8 mm socket). These 2 are located about 1 in. further back from the location of the lone bolt located under the rear seat. Reach your hand up between the tire and the fender to locate them. I had to use some penetrating oil on them, and work them back and forth a few times.

12. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Early Yamaha Road Stars has a similar problem. In their case it was a need to have a rolled edge on the sheet metal fender to add stiffness. I did something similar to what you are describing to fix the "shakes". I cut and epoxied "doubler" strips on the inside of each side of the fender. it did the trick for the Road Star! Would probably work on the Eldorado as well.

13. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Tuned and Synch'ed

Just a note about the Eldo rear fender .
    It is made so it can be removed then the rear tire is removed,
    it sounds like a lot of taking things apart but takes about 10 mins to have the fender off ,
    I use a jack stand under each passenger peg and tie the front brake lever on.
    also remove the heat shields to clear the stands and the left side muffler to remove the wheel and shock