• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Eldorado Top Box

Has anyone mounted a top box to their Eldorado? Thanks.

I have a post on here somewhere re. fitting the Cali rack to the Eldo, it can be done but you'll need to make up spacers and a longer brackets because the Eldo mudguard is much deeper than the Cali. Also the Cali rack rack will not fit with the Eldo seat, you will need a Cali seat. You can fit the top box base to the rack under the Eldo pillion seat if you are just using it solo which is a much easier option, unfortunately you can't get it far enough forward to be able to make use of the back rest which would have been nice. Also someone fitted the Guzzi rack to an Audace by cutting slots in the side of the guard and using the original brackets, it was a fantastic job but I wouldn't trust myself to do it. The other option is Hepco Becker make a backrest and rack for the Eldo that could probably be adapted for the Guzzi top box.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 43
  • eldorado5.jpg
    eldorado5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
IMG 20180612 202247 I have turned my 2016 Eldorado into a "Caldorado" with Cali hard bags and MG top box. To get the top box on I went with a Hepco Becker rack without the back rest and mounted the top box platform directly to it. I started out with an MG touring saddle from the Cali model but ultimately replaced it with a touring saddle from Corbin (much better than the MG version). Sorry I don't have a better picture.

View attachment 15531 I have turned my 2016 Eldorado into a "Caldorado" with Cali hard bags and MG top box. To get the top box on I went with a Hepco Becker rack without the back rest and mounted the top box platform directly to it. I started out with an MG touring saddle from the Cali model but ultimately replaced it with a touring saddle from Corbin (much better than the MG version). Sorry I don't have a better picture.
Does that mount for the top box seem sturdy enough for the passenger to actually lean back against it, especially under hard acceleration?

Not to seem flippant, but the mount feels sturdy enough to use the top box as an anchor point to tow lesser motorcycles into the shop from wherever they broke down on the road!

The top box anchor plate is pretty large and supports the entire bottom of the top box. It has slots in it that can be lined up with the tubes of the HB rack, which itself is pretty sturdily mounted. I did line them up and then drilled three through holes through the tubes. Then I put three socket head screws with washers through the mounting plate and the rack tubes. I secured the whole shebang with aircraft (nyloc ?) nuts on the bottom. The mounting plate isn't going anywhere so unless the HB rack rips off, or the top box rips off the mounting plate (neither of which seems likely - the box feels very secure when mounted), a passenger should be able to lean against the pad on the box without fear.

I'm reminded in taking these pictures that I need to get slightly shorter screws.

IMG 20180902 080220436 IMG 20180902 080302252 IMG 20180902 080341717

Not to seem flippant, but the mount feels sturdy enough to use the top box as an anchor point to tow lesser motorcycles into the shop from wherever they broke down on the road!

The top box anchor plate is pretty large and supports the entire bottom of the top box. It has slots in it that can be lined up with the tubes of the HB rack, which itself is pretty sturdily mounted. I did line them up and then drilled three through holes through the tubes. Then I put three socket head screws with washers through the mounting plate and the rack tubes. I secured the whole shebang with aircraft (nyloc ?) nuts on the bottom. The mounting plate isn't going anywhere so unless the HB rack rips off, or the top box rips off the mounting plate (neither of which seems likely - the box feels very secure when mounted), a passenger should be able to lean against the pad on the box without fear.

I'm reminded in taking these pictures that I need to get slightly shorter screws.

View attachment 15532 View attachment 15533 View attachment 15534
Thanks for the reply.
My wife finds the passenger portion of my California Custom seat extremely uncomfortable.
I am considering getting the MG touring seat, and maybe the top box. However, I REALLY don't want to spend the money to get those things, only to find out that she still is not comfortable on the bike. Especially since I don't like the look of a top box, and do not need one for the storage capacity.
I have been trying to convince her to get a new V7 for herself, but she doesn't want to spend the money on a bike that she really wouldn't ride very often.

Thanks for the reply.
My wife finds the passenger portion of my California Custom seat extremely uncomfortable.
I am considering getting the MG touring seat, and maybe the top box.

I can't urge you strongly enough NOT to get the Moto Guzzi touring saddle. I did and it was great...…for about 45 minutes. Then it was agony until the Corbin arrived. The MG saddle is thin in the driver's area and made with very soft foam. Initially it feels pretty good but in no time it feels like you are riding on the frame. Which I think you are. The Corbin initially feels just the opposite. Too hard. But over a longer period of time it becomes quite comfortable.

I still have the MG saddle and, depending on where you live, I could probably be persuaded to send it to you. It's just taking up space in my garage. But I don't think you will like it.

I'm with you on the looks of the bike with the top box. I seldom have mine on it. The big, box mounting plate is hardly a beautification either but I have gotten used to it.

The single big advantage for the top box for me is the ease with which it goes on and off on trips. I have learned to pack all of my "motel stuff" in it so that when I check into a place I can just remove the box and carry it in like luggage. The other bags stay on the bike (they aren't easy to remove, require tools).

IMG 20180902 094512651 1 IMG 20171210 140122790 3

Thanks for the reply.
I am considering getting the MG touring seat, and maybe the top box. However, I REALLY don't want to spend the money to get those things, only to find out that she still is not comfortable on the bike. Especially since I don't like the look of a top box, and do not need one for the storage capacity.
I have been trying to convince her to get a new V7 for herself, but she doesn't want to spend the money on a bike that she really wouldn't ride very often.

Hepco-Beker make that same rack with a back rest if you don't want the top box.

There's nothing made that can't be broken.

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 16
  • rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
HB absolutely does make a version with a back rest. Here is a picture of Moto International's Eldo with that rack on it. I already had the top box which wouldn't work with the back rest version so I went with the backless one.

I agree that practically anything can be broken. Sometimes without even trying too hard!
Original 84515 3836 img 0427

HB absolutely does make a version with a back rest. Here is a picture of Moto International's Eldo with that rack on it. I already had the top box which wouldn't work with the back rest version so I went with the backless one.

I agree that practically anything can be broken. Sometimes without even trying too hard!
View attachment 15540

Back