• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Electric whirring or motor sound on my 2012 Stelvio.

activpop

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
After shutdown, I hear a faint sound coming from engine area, maybe a second or two long, and at regular intervals, maybe every 30 seconds. The funny thing is, I went out to the shop today and heard it again. Four days from my last ride. The key was in the ignition in the off position. What gives?

After you turn the engine off, the stepper motor will run through it's full range of motion ONCE. It is audible, and a "whirring" sound is what you will hear. If it happens more than once, I would go with Vagrants suggestion and investigate.

Still happening. Maybe two to three minute interval. You know those old electric horns you had on your bike in the 60's? It sounds like one of them that was wrapped in a pillow to deaden the sound. About a 3 second duration.
Not sure how pressure relief works on a Stelvio. I would have thought it would be static, but is it mechanical? I will have to find out what a stepper motor is. That is new to me.

I'll try that, good idea. Out of town for a few days. It will have to wait until Tuesday.

Ok, back in town and went for a ride to get the bike up to full temps. A short time after shut down the noise started up again, with much more frequency than the last time I heard it when it was cooler. I popped the filler cap while it was making the noise and a big puff of air came from the tank and the sound immediately stopped. I repeated this a few times to confirm, and each time got a puff of expanded air from the filler. You guys were right...it is pressure related. Didn't happen immediately after shutdown, but after the heat of engine slowly warms up the tank, that's when it begins. I have to understand what is exactly happening here.

I have to understand what is exactly happening here.
This is well covered in this section. Per paragraphs at the top of every page, ALWAYS SEARCH... Charcoal Cannister is a pinned topic.

This is well covered in this section. Per paragraphs at the top of every page, ALWAYS SEARCH... Charcoal Cannister is a pinned topic.
I tried to search previously but didn't know to use the words "charcoal cannister" or how it is related to a buzzing sound. I'm pretty new to these bikes and don't have your experience. Providing a link would have been more helpful.

Searching evap might help too. There is a plastic piece stuck in the vent line that has a valve in it that is supposed to release the pressure from the tank at a certain pressure point. They fail a lot. Some replace with a brass straight through connector then straight out to the atmosphere, some punch a hole in them so they always let pressure out. The whole EPA BS sucks in these older bikes.

Ok, got it. This was all done in the interest of keeping the air clean, not to baffle me. I will check it all out now that I know what to look for. Thanks!

Hi!

Look at my guide on removing the charcoal canister. You will read about the very cheap plastic pressure valves that routinely fail.

Hence why I wrote the guide to taking the evaporative emissions stuff out of the Stelvio NTX.

Your problem is this little cheap Chinese check valve.

IMG 0865

Read my guide. It’s step by step with photos and explanations every step of the way.

Literally hundreds of people all over the world have used it to pull that evaporative emissions stuff out of there and fix the pressurization of the fuel tank.

Good luck! You can fix this easy.

Oh be sure to watch the 2 videos on page 3 of that Canister removal thread. They show you how to remove the fuel connectors without breaking them!!!

Last edited:
Hi!

Look at my guide on removing the charcoal canister. You will read about the very cheap plastic pressure valves that routinely fail.

Hence why I wrote the guide to taking the evaporative emissions stuff out of the Stelvio NTX.

Your problem is this little cheap Chinese check valve.

View attachment 30094

Read my guide. It’s step by step with photos and explanations every step of the way.

Literally hundreds of people all over the world have used it to pull that evaporative emissions stuff out of there and fix the pressurization of the fuel tank.

Good luck! You can fix this easy.

Oh be sure to watch the 2 videos on page 3 of that Canister removal thread. They show you how to remove the fuel connectors without breaking them!!!

Yep, I saw that after I was directed there by GTM. I will do that. A lot of time went into making that. Thank you for all that work! You made it very easy for me.

Back