Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

electrical failure. any tips?

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by redwitch, May 18, 2020.

1. redwitch

redwitch Tuned and Synch'ed

hi everybody.
    I'm in trouble! On my V75, after a battery change, the 3rd fuse blew on first try. The starter worked, but no ignition. Changed fuse, it started OK, but after one minute, stopped again, and this time, nothing left: no starter, no ignition .
    There' is probably a short somewhere, but I don't know where to start... Anybody had the same type of trouble? Thanks for any idea, I am not very "electric minded..."

2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

1st thing i would check would be a fully charged battery, then cables to battery terminals and earths, then using a volt meter check every fuse, both sides .

john zibell likes this.
  3. redwitch

thank you for this fast answer. I am going to try this first.

4. Chris UK

Chris UK Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Quite often a bad (corroded) earth terminals can cause stuff like that.

5. redwitch

thanks. I check every possible cause, one by one, and there are many wires to check!

6. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

pull connectors apart and spray with a contact cleaner, check the simple things 1st.

john zibell likes this.
  7. Chris UK

Chris UK Just got it firing! GT Contributor

You do not have to check them all, the important ones, as Kevin NZ said above, are the battery terminals (both +ve and -ve especially look at both ends of the -ve cable) and the earth wires (usually black and attached to the frame/engine/gearbox/headlamp shell/rear mudguard etc.) If you are not sure what we are describing they may be called ground not earth. Look at Carl Allison's wiring diagram here http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1977_V35III_V75.gif (I'm not sure if this is the correct model as you do not specify.

I hope this helps