• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Electronic ignition for Eldos ?

steve lindsay

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm having a 73 Eldorado restored and would sure like some feedback from you guys on what way to go for an electronic ignition . I'm considering a combination of ignition form Laubtec in Germany with a module made by Jefferies in Australia . I'm a lilttle nervous about this so am thinking Harpers Electronic Ignition because its guaranteed and on the same continent and would love some feedback from anyone using it as well as any others that have been working for you . Otherwise , the old points system is always an option . :D Thanks for the help , Steve

I use a Sachse unit on my race bike. Dunno about their Eldo (replacing a single points, single coil) system but I can recommend them as company. I have found their products well designed and their reposnse to inqueries satisfactory.

Alex

steve lindsay said:
Otherwise , the old points system is always an option . :D Thanks for the help , Steve

The "old points system" is the best option IMO. Very easy to set, very durable and easy to maintain. On my '69 Ambo, I clean and gap the points once a year (in the Spring), apply a dab of Bosch Distributor Grease to the cam and that's it until the next year. With a Bosch Blue Coil the spark is plenty hot for immediate starting, never had an issue with burnt contacts or anything else. I have much better things to spend my hard-earned $$ on than unnecessary electronic ignitions. Just my opinion.

Here's some info on the Pertronix/Harpers unit: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto ... ronix_unit

Amboman said:
steve lindsay said:
Otherwise , the old points system is always an option . :D Thanks for the help , Steve

The "old points system" is the best option IMO. Very easy to set, very durable and easy to maintain. On my '69 Ambo, I clean and gap the points once a year (in the Spring), apply a dab of Bosch Distributor Grease to the cam and that's it until the next year. With a Bosch Blue Coil the spark is plenty hot for immediate starting, never had an issue with burnt contacts or anything else. I have much better things to spend my hard-earned $$ on than unnecessary electronic ignitions. Just my opinion.

Here's some info on the Pertronix/Harpers unit: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto ... ronix_unit

Thanks for the info . Appreciate it . I'm leaning towards the Harper system .

Here's what I've found out about Loop / Eldo advance curves as they relate to detonation problems.

1st off, I noticed in the owner's handbook, that "98/100 NO R.M." is the recommended fuel rating. I poked around, but can't find anything that might be a clue as to what the "NO" part of that is, the "R.M." part is plain enough, so I assume that it's the same expression for octane rating as is used in N America now unless somebody knows different. The highest octane rating usually found is 94 R/M in Canada and 91 R/M in the US Pacific NW. Especially in the US PNW then, the difference from the factory recommended octane rating and what's available is considerable. So, I'm taking that as pretty good "probable cause" exibit 'A'.

I have an Eldo distributor off the bike (thanks Steve) to install on the piece of steam-punk apparatus you can see below. Somebody was cleaning out their garage and it ended up given to our shop. Put a charged-up 6V battery in there and the damn thing worked! The distributor spec paper "scroll" in it includes up to 1956, so there you go.

Anyway, I installed the Eldo distributor to this rig and ran it up with my note pad and then drew up the 1st hand-drawn graph below as compared to the graph in the service manual just above it. The total advance is right, but it's not quite the pair of straight shots from the factory graph. That's not surprising, but it's really not that far off. On the "actual" stock curve graph you can see that just pulling on the 1 spring as the stock spring set-up is designed to do, the 1st part of the curve is pretty steep - you're already at 20 deg. BTDC @ 2000 RPM.So there's a second reason why stock Eldos might be prone to detonation - lots of advance early in the engine RPM range.

The bottom graph is one of the 3 curves available with Cliff Jefferies "REC-Ignition" module:

http://www.jefferies-au.org/MyECU/MyIgn.html

I have not included the other 2 since after drawing them out based on Cliff's curve numbers he sent me, it looks like the most appropriate one.

The REC-Ign. curve is quite a bit shallower and even given an 8 deg. BTDC static point rather than the 5 deg. stock setting, you have (for instance) a 12 deg. spark point at 2000 RPM rather than 20 and shallower all the way up the curve until you get to about 3200 RPM - a point where you have a high enough engine speed that will not be as prone to detonation except for very high load situations. The REC-Ign. web page mentions that you cannot use points as the trigger signal with the built-in curves. I's partial to the Laubtec unit rather than the Harper's / Pertronic for a couple reasons, but that's another subject.

So there it is. granted, a fixed curve set-up is not a silver bullet to be sure - humping it up a long hill in E Wash. in the summer when it's 92 F outside pushing a windshield and saddlebags at 70 MPH with all your gear piled on it, but a reasonable band-aid that should help address a tendency towards detonation with an otherwise stock set-up, especially for those that would like to retain a visually-identical to stock distributor.

BTW: I forgot to mention that the REC-Ign. has selectable ign. coil charging "soak times" so it should do a far better job making efficient use of the coil and give easier starting, and perhaps off-set the still less than perfect advance curve to a certain extent in the way of fuel consumption.

GD

distrib_tester.jpg

V850.fig27.jpg

stock_singlepoint_advance_curve.jpg

rec-ign_singlepoint_advance_curve-3.jpg

Back