• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

emissions can and tubing removal

breva1200man

Just got it firing!
I'm a proud new owner of my first guzzi! It's a 2008 Breva 1200 sport that has an aftermarket exhuast system, it's a real popper when off the throttle. Anyone out there have knowledge on removal of the charcoal emissions can and tubing? I believe removing all that may eliminate most of that back pressure popping?

Thanks,

Dan

breva1200man said:
I'm a proud new owner of my first guzzi! It's a 2008 Breva 1200 sport that has an aftermarket exhuast system, it's a real popper when off the throttle. Anyone out there have knowledge on removal of the charcoal emissions can and tubing? I believe removing all that may eliminate most of that back pressure popping?

Thanks,

Dan

Removing the evap system may or may not help. If you search the forum you will find plenty on removal of the system and on the decel popping. Either go back to stock exhaust, or go the PCV plus Autotune option that Todd sells through the store tab on this forum.

There are reasons to remove the charcoal cannister and related tubing but don't expect it to silence the popping.

Make sure your throttle bodies are in sync, TPS is set to the proper angle and valves are adjusted; these items may make a lot of this go away.

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks as those will cause extra popping.

BTW I had the stepper motor disconnect switch installed and that would lessen the popping; I've since gone with the full Guzzitech fueling upgrade and found that the stepper motor switch was no longer necessary so I removed it.

What's your location, maybe you have someone nearby who can help out.

well I succeded in the removal and you were right it may have helped a little. still sounds like I'm riding a race machine. PCV Autotune time i guess.

thanks again,

Dan

If you decide to remove the canister, here's a couple of drawings from the parts manual that might be useful.

USAVenting.jpg

50 State Venting with charcoal canister - What is currently on your bike

InternationalVenting.jpg

Everyone but USA venting ...... No charcoal canister. Note part 14 in this drawing (hose) is already in place
on your bike, routed along the bottom of the CARC driveshaft housing, and makes a convenient vent line
for the International vent design.

It's a very simple operation. I left all the hoses in place, simply tying them out of the way with ZipTies, left the small vacuum ports in place, plugging them, so I could use them periodically to ck throttle body balance. I should remove the canister (but haven't) if only to gain some under-seat space.

Note - my 1200 Sport popped like a Gatling gun until I'd disconnected the evap system, set the valves, balanced the throttle bodies, and set the throttle position sensor. Now she just burbles on the overrun, but no loud pops. I have the stock exhaust and stock stepper motor setup. Your results may vary. This is my one and only Guzzi, so my experience is limited to this one bike, and the fact that my bike quit popping with these changes may be an anomaly.

I may ultimately disable the stepper motor, if there is no other solution to eliminating the high idle on startup, even when the bike is already warmed up. I find that to be a distraction.

Hope you like your Sport as much as I do mine.

Bob

Thank you for the info Bob. I do love this bike! so far it sounds like each one is unique in there own way. maybe that's the attraction?!

Dan

All I can say is that removing the EVAP CAN and venting the tank to the ground has performed a minor miracle on my 2009 Norge. Idled at 1500 RPM in gear and 1100 in neutral plus excessive popping on decel at certain RPMs. This was not a terrible running bike as it was (no low speed issues)- but could be better - I suspected. Removing the EVAP System brought the idle down to a consistant 1100 rpm (in gear or not) - the bike runs smoother in general and popping was lessened (not eliminated - but a lot better). Do this MOD as outlined in many posts - rerouting the tank venting system and just blocking off the hose coming from the engine (which can be left in place.

Thank you for the info Bob. I do love this bike! so far it sounds like each one is unique in there own way. maybe that's the attraction?!

Dan
If you decide to remove the canister, here's a couple of drawings from the parts manual that might be useful.

USAVenting.jpg

50 State Venting with charcoal canister - What is currently on your bike

InternationalVenting.jpg

Everyone but USA venting ...... No charcoal canister. Note part 14 in this drawing (hose) is already in place
on your bike, routed along the bottom of the CARC driveshaft housing, and makes a convenient vent line
for the International vent design.

It's a very simple operation. I left all the hoses in place, simply tying them out of the way with ZipTies, left the small vacuum ports in place, plugging them, so I could use them periodically to ck throttle body balance. I should remove the canister (but haven't) if only to gain some under-seat space.

Note - my 1200 Sport popped like a Gatling gun until I'd disconnected the evap system, set the valves, balanced the throttle bodies, and set the throttle position sensor. Now she just burbles on the overrun, but no loud pops. I have the stock exhaust and stock stepper motor setup. Your results may vary. This is my one and only Guzzi, so my experience is limited to this one bike, and the fact that my bike quit popping with these changes may be an anomaly.

I may ultimately disable the stepper motor, if there is no other solution to eliminating the high idle on startup, even when the bike is already warmed up. I find that to be a distraction.

Hope you like your Sport as much as I do mine.

Bob
Is this removal as simple as removing and plugging the single line to the canister and hooking the other two lines on the other end of the canister together? I have a noisy whining fuel pump that stops as soon as I pinch either of the two lines. I do have a metal filter ordered to install as soon as it arrives.

It isn't the fuel pump that is wining, it is reverberating through the evap system. Just went through this with a friends 1100 Breva. Just put one of the hoses you remove side to side to each intake manifold tap or put caps on the taps. Leave the tank vent open to atmosphere (leave the fuel fill drain line in tact) then just take everything in the system off.

Back