Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Engine pinging

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Didier, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

Bonjourno
    yesterday was a hot day for the first time this year and my engine was pinging like crazy, I use 91 octane as for the fuel. it's a California 1400 any ideas why or is it normal for this type of engine my BMW R1150 used to do that as well and I hate that thanks for your anwers.

2. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

It's not normal for me, and I've ridden in traffic at 110 degrees F. I have gotten a knock once or twice, but no pinging. Maybe you got some bad gas?

Didier likes this.
  3. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

+1 to that, I once inadvertently put the wrong gas in (87 not 91) and when the bike warmed up and I cracked the throttle, the bike made a sound like thunder and momentarily lost all power till I backed off. That was the only occasion I had any kind of fuel problem and it was close to 30C at the time in Vancouver. I just rode at higher revs and a lower gear until I could get some more fuel in it.

Just to be sure, you did put the right gas in it - yes. It was only afterwards and thinking back that I realised I had put in 87 due to force of habit gassing my car, it's so easy to get it wrong when your other vehicles use the cheaper grade and you are half awake.

Didier likes this.
  4. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

Glad to know it's not normal.

5. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The engines love to rev, and shouldn't be lugged. They do their best work above 3,500rpm.

Stephen

Eldo1400 and Didier like this.
  6. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Pinging does NOT sound like "thunder" or a "knock once or twice". It's a high pitched "tinkle" type sound. Like a little piston fairy in there rapidly banging on your piston crowns with her little fairy hammer.

PINGING IS DEATH!

Pinging can easily, literally, physically destroy your engine. I mean like actually exploding your engine. Pinging ALWAYS does some measure of damage to your engine.

30°C is not hot enough to cause pinging. Good grief, In Oz (and even parts of USA - Death Valley for one) the open sunshine Summer temp regularly exceeds 70°C. Add to that the extra heat radiating off the black bitumen road surface and it goes over 100°C. I've ridden through 50.7°C measured the official way (Google "Stevenson screen") with no ill effect.

99% of pinging will be caused by either lean mixture, too far advanced ignition, too low octane rated fuel or any combination of the above.

Finally, yes, lugging your engine too much will certainly exacerbate the problem.

7. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

"Pinging does NOT sound like "thunder" or a "knock once or twice"."

Yes, which is why I wrote what I wrote.