Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Engine Stalls at slow or no speed

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by pkubitz, Feb 8, 2010.

1. pkubitz

pkubitz Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

My 09 Stelvio stalls at slow speed - sometimes at 0 MPH - when I turn the wheel to the left. The engine just shuts off. I can recreate the problem and will take it into the shop but was wondering if others have (or had) the problem. It does this with the kickstand up. In first gear and sometimes in neutral. I thought someone said they solved the problem by always using the kill switch to shut off the motor. I tried that. Still get the same problem. Thanks for any advice as to what is going on here.

2. Ray R

Ray R Cruisin' Guzzisti

Does this happen at all engine temps? Or just when it's cold, or warm, or hot? I assume you have the clutch lever pulled in when the stall happens? Have you checked all the vacuum lines to make sure none are off the throttle bodies or stepper motor?

I haven't had any issue like this with mine. It could be a simple TPS reset is needed.

3. pkubitz

Yes, it happens at all temps - first thing in the morning or after a long ride - it does not matter. I have not checked any vacuum lines. I just had it in the shop for very rough engine performance. I could not keep it smooth at any RPM. The shop adjusted the valve clearances and TPS. The stalling happened before and after this last service at the shop. My mileage is about 21 miles per gallon.

4. loftyjohn

loftyjohn Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi

A shot in the dark!
    Get on your knees and look closely at the sidestand switch, on the underside there is a piston and a spring actuated by the cam lobe on tha side stand.
    Clean and thoroughly grease, checking a smooth action of the piston with a small screw driver.

If it cures it great, if it don't you have done a worth while job anyway :)

Loftyjohn

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Does it still seem rough after the TPS reset?
    Apart from anything else it sounds as if the two throttle bodies are not in sync, and could do with being checked.
    This doesn't explain the cutting out though. If it only happens on full left lock, will it restart while still on full lock? Could be a fault in the loom somewhere near the headstock which is causing it.
    There is a switch on the clutch lever which tells the ECU something, I think it speeds up the engine slightly when the lever is pulled, at least that's what happened on my Norge, before I switched off the stepper motor. But whether that could in any way cause stalling I don't know.

6. Ray R

Ray R Cruisin' Guzzisti

21 MPG? Stalling and rough running? Yeah buddy.....something wrong there. Is there a sock stuck in your air intake? "Banana in the tailpipe"? ;) Is your bike 100% stock? How many miles on it?

Honestly, we're all just shooting in the dark here. Your dealer (or favorite wrench) has a much better shot at diagnosing your problem.

7. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Odd. The 'turned to the left' comment sounds like a connector/wiring problem. Or a tank bag pressing the kill switch. :?

Tha bad fuel economy. I'm thinking I would look in the airbox.

Also, inspect the spark plug caps. They are a known failure point and can cause rough running plus poor fuel economy. Including an extremely hot running exhaust system. Has the cam update been done and did they install the new plug caps when doing it?

8. Spaceclam

Spaceclam Cruisin' Guzzisti

I rode a nighthawk 250 once that had that same problem while turning to the left. I still, to this day, have no idea what causes it on left turns. :?:

9. kwn306

kwn306 High Miler

Feel the cylinder heads (for one being cooler than the other), it sounds like the problem I had with a bad coil, which burned a hole in the high tension lead. It was the left hand coil sitting on the bike. The bad coil had a low resistance driving the voltage up coming out of the coil and burned a hole in the high tension lead. It would show its ugly face at low speeds and at a stop light but not at 75 mph going down the freeway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

10. pkubitz

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I'll keep you posted as to what I find out. BTW, I do not use a tank bag, my bike has had the cam update, and I have approx 3000 miles.

11. pkubitz

Wow! I think I found the problem. A cold solder joint in the start/stop switch assembly. I resoldered the connection. So far, no more engine shutdown. Wonder if it will improve my gas mileage? Thanks to all.

12. bobw

bobw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Wow, what a PITA. Glad you were able to get it sorted. Did you start tugging on wires or pulling connectors apart to locate the bad contact?

13. pkubitz

That's exactly what I did - lightly tugged at the wiring bundle coming out of the start/stop switch. The bundle with the tie-wrap around it just outside of the switch container. It wasn't a PITA to fix but was very frustrating when the engine cut off for no good reason (while I was riding)! Another symptom was - the bike did not start half the time when I pressed on the start switch. I was guessing my battery was not charged good enough. When I opened the switch container, the wire was just laying on its terminal connector. Piss poor solder job.

14. bobw

bobw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for the info; hopefully you can now just enjoy using up copious amounts of fuel and tires on her.

Cheers

Bob