• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine Stalls at slow or no speed

pkubitz

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
My 09 Stelvio stalls at slow speed - sometimes at 0 MPH - when I turn the wheel to the left. The engine just shuts off. I can recreate the problem and will take it into the shop but was wondering if others have (or had) the problem. It does this with the kickstand up. In first gear and sometimes in neutral. I thought someone said they solved the problem by always using the kill switch to shut off the motor. I tried that. Still get the same problem. Thanks for any advice as to what is going on here.

Does this happen at all engine temps? Or just when it's cold, or warm, or hot? I assume you have the clutch lever pulled in when the stall happens? Have you checked all the vacuum lines to make sure none are off the throttle bodies or stepper motor?

I haven't had any issue like this with mine. It could be a simple TPS reset is needed.

Yes, it happens at all temps - first thing in the morning or after a long ride - it does not matter. I have not checked any vacuum lines. I just had it in the shop for very rough engine performance. I could not keep it smooth at any RPM. The shop adjusted the valve clearances and TPS. The stalling happened before and after this last service at the shop. My mileage is about 21 miles per gallon.

Hi

A shot in the dark!
Get on your knees and look closely at the sidestand switch, on the underside there is a piston and a spring actuated by the cam lobe on tha side stand.
Clean and thoroughly grease, checking a smooth action of the piston with a small screw driver.

If it cures it great, if it don't you have done a worth while job anyway :)

Loftyjohn

Does it still seem rough after the TPS reset?
Apart from anything else it sounds as if the two throttle bodies are not in sync, and could do with being checked.
This doesn't explain the cutting out though. If it only happens on full left lock, will it restart while still on full lock? Could be a fault in the loom somewhere near the headstock which is causing it.
There is a switch on the clutch lever which tells the ECU something, I think it speeds up the engine slightly when the lever is pulled, at least that's what happened on my Norge, before I switched off the stepper motor. But whether that could in any way cause stalling I don't know.

21 MPG? Stalling and rough running? Yeah buddy.....something wrong there. Is there a sock stuck in your air intake? "Banana in the tailpipe"? ;) Is your bike 100% stock? How many miles on it?

Honestly, we're all just shooting in the dark here. Your dealer (or favorite wrench) has a much better shot at diagnosing your problem.

Odd. The 'turned to the left' comment sounds like a connector/wiring problem. Or a tank bag pressing the kill switch. :?

Tha bad fuel economy. I'm thinking I would look in the airbox.

Also, inspect the spark plug caps. They are a known failure point and can cause rough running plus poor fuel economy. Including an extremely hot running exhaust system. Has the cam update been done and did they install the new plug caps when doing it?

I rode a nighthawk 250 once that had that same problem while turning to the left. I still, to this day, have no idea what causes it on left turns. :?:

Feel the cylinder heads (for one being cooler than the other), it sounds like the problem I had with a bad coil, which burned a hole in the high tension lead. It was the left hand coil sitting on the bike. The bad coil had a low resistance driving the voltage up coming out of the coil and burned a hole in the high tension lead. It would show its ugly face at low speeds and at a stop light but not at 75 mph going down the freeway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I'll keep you posted as to what I find out. BTW, I do not use a tank bag, my bike has had the cam update, and I have approx 3000 miles.

Wow! I think I found the problem. A cold solder joint in the start/stop switch assembly. I resoldered the connection. So far, no more engine shutdown. Wonder if it will improve my gas mileage? Thanks to all.

Wow, what a PITA. Glad you were able to get it sorted. Did you start tugging on wires or pulling connectors apart to locate the bad contact?

That's exactly what I did - lightly tugged at the wiring bundle coming out of the start/stop switch. The bundle with the tie-wrap around it just outside of the switch container. It wasn't a PITA to fix but was very frustrating when the engine cut off for no good reason (while I was riding)! Another symptom was - the bike did not start half the time when I pressed on the start switch. I was guessing my battery was not charged good enough. When I opened the switch container, the wire was just laying on its terminal connector. Piss poor solder job.

Thanks for the info; hopefully you can now just enjoy using up copious amounts of fuel and tires on her.

Cheers

Bob

Back