Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Error codes for 5AM/7SM ECUs

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by GT-Rx®, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Simon00012347

Simon00012347 Just got it firing!

Many thanks! But the bike is showing the temperature...so i presume that the sensor is not disconected. Any other ideas?

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Not air temp, motor temp, which your display would not show. All I will be of help with for you here.

Simon00012347 likes this.
  3. Simon00012347

Simon00012347 Just got it firing!

Yeah...that makes more sense :blush:
    Maybe I'll visit an other guzzi dealer with this information. I dont think I can do anything about it in my garage.
    Thank you very much once again for your time ;)

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

5. Dons 1911

Dons 1911 Just got it firing!

So I just checked my Faults using GuzziDiag and see this under 'stored faults'...
    PO135 : to low
    PO136 : to low
    PO141 : to low

135 and 136 say Lambda Probe Heating. Not sure what to do about them being to low.

141 is not on the list in the first post. Anyone know? Thanks!

6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Right Hand cylinder lambda probe heater shorted to positive/open circuit/shorted to negative

You don't say what bike you have -this is for the Cali 1400 (and perhaps the V85) with the 7SM ECU.

7. Dons 1911

Dons 1911 Just got it firing!

Sorry, 2017 Stelvio, bought new in Jan 2019. 23k miles.

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The original error code list for the CARC bikes didn't include PO141. But the later 8V Stelvios have two lambdas compared with the original 4V models, so things would have changed.

Try swapping over the lambdas to see if the Guzzidiag fault report changes to PO135.

Dons 1911 likes this.
  9. tillyz

tillyz Just got it firing!

I am having a problem as I cannot clear error 56 on my dashboard. Breva 1100, 2 valve, 2007. Initially, the dreaded red triangle came up on a run, I stopped and checked for an error code. Incidently, the code to get into the dashboard for my bike is 36421 might be helpful for someone. This showed as 07 Oil Sensor fault. Despite testing each length of wiring from the dashboard pin plug down to the sensor, the sensor and on to earth, I found no fault. Nevertheless, I bought a new sensor and installed it. A bit of a faff, but I now know how to gently separate the fuel line connector, how to ease out the shoe-horned air box, and to laboriously turn out the old sensor and install the new and remake the connection - the sensor position makes spanner work tricky and there is no room for a socket. Put the whole lot back together, cleared the error codes and 07 has gone. Yippee.
    But the triangle and error code 56 remain. Help, please? Where do I go from here? The list of Code numbers has a comment at the bottom bt it is brief and doesn't make sense to me.

It is states:-
    "Delete Errors. This option deletes instrument panel errors only, a further conformation is requested".

So, I have looked for a confirmation request on my dashboard after deleting errors - none. I have cancelled the error codes twice - still no change. I have restarted the engine but still no change. I guess I am stuck now. Any advice would be appreciated, please?

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Error 56 is vehicle speed. Sounds like you may have an issue with the sensor at the front wheel.

11. Davy

Davy Just got it firing!

It's possible that the error will be able to be cleared after a short run. It could be that it's showing an error because of your tinkering, mine did. (Breva 1100).

12. tillyz

tillyz Just got it firing!

Thank you John and Davy. I cleaned the speed sensor at the front wheel and I now have no errors but the red triangle remains. So, as suggested, I shall toddle out for a ride tomorrow or three (my mate found that his Triumph Tiger needed a couple of runs for the system to sort itself out).

13. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Try disconnecting the battery overnight and leaving the key "ON". It may have cleared when you reconnect. Works for Guzzis...and Fords!

14. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

I presume you still cannot reset the ECU via the dashboard software?

The following is a possible solution to reset everything to a ground state and then see if your problem goes away.

Disconnect your batter terminals, first the negative, then the positive. Zip tie them, or clamp them together but away from the battery.

Do not let the battery cables touch the battery at any time!

***During this hour, I still highly recommend that you take the battery to your local auto parts store and have it load tested.

This will provide critical information to aid in the diagnosis of your issue. Also, see if there is a date marked on your battery as to when it was put into service.

I am unconvinced that you have a good battery to begin with. I have seen all of the issues you are experiencing from a marginal battery.

You cannot load test a battery with the dashboard voltage reading or simply by reading volts across the battery terminals with a volt meter.

Load testing is done with a load test tool and the auto stores do this for free with their tool.

Leave the two battery cables connected for 1 hour. By doing this, you are discharging all capacitors in the bike, and this will cause the ECU to reset to a ground state as well as all internal software/firmware. At the end of the hour, turn the ignition key to ON, and leave it like this for 10 more minutes as we want to be absolutely sure all capacitors have fully discharged. At the end of 10 minutes, turn the ignition key to the OFF position before proceeding.

Disconnect the positive and negative battery cables from each other by cutting the zip tie or removing the clamp. Throughly wire brush the battery terminals and the battery cables, thereby removing all visible oxidation.

Reconnect the terminals to the battery, positive lead first, then negative lead.

Turn motorcycle on and see if SERVICE triangle disappeared. It should.

If it has, start motorcycle and see if the code throws again. If it does, then we have something more solid to work with.

Moto-Uno and john zibell like this.