Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Evap removal from V7III

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Reference Topics/Recalls' started by Godfrey, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jkd

Jkd Just got it firing!

Thank you Godfry for the detail – clearly sufficient for most folks to understand.
    Want to be sure I understand this specific piece -
    “- cut vacuum line and block it (I glued an aluminum slug in place)
    Follow the line and cut it in a convenient place, then block it ... particularly the upstream side that comes from the inlet manifold.”

Is it in fact removing a small section of the vacuum line and installing a slug to block/bridge the new gap in the line with nothing else to do in the attached picture? (I understand the later breather valve steps.)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

The whole point of this step is to block the vacuum tap on the inlet manifold safely. You could just pull the line off the manifold tap and fit a rubber plug there, but the problem with that is that unless it fits very tightly or is glued/clamped on securely, a little backfire or other pop-back through the intake could blow it off and leave you with a massive (unrideable) vacuum leak on the road. I didn't have the time or patience to take the line off, remove the tap, and thread the hole for a secure plug when I did the job, so I cut the line about six-seven inches from the tap and glued a tight-fitting slug in securely. That way, the line has some flex to it that will absorb any backfire or pop-back without blowing the plug or line off the tap.

The rest of the line just goes down to the canister to provide a small amount of vacuum so it draws gasoline vapor from the fuel tank ... completely unnecessary IMO, So I've now just removed that portion of the line entirely, along with the entire EVAP canister. The line from the fuel tank vent to the canister I've extended another six inches so it hangs down just under the starter. Configured this way, the fuel tank vent is just like the one that was on my '89 LeMans V. :)

One of these days, I'll go back in there, remove the line with the plug, remove the tap from the manifold, thread the manifold for a steel or brass threaded plug, and glue a permanent plug on the manifold. But it's just an aesthetic desire to clean up the under tank looks and tubing at this point, since it works just fine as it is.

Jkd likes this.
  3. Jkd

Jkd Just got it firing!

Thank you! Finished last night along with the SAS block off kit.

4. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

I have a 2018 Carbon DK and installed GT Megs and the SAS kit the end of last year (2018).
    I had the mapping "Flash" done for fueling. The bike runs great.
    I have been reading the forum again today on the installation of the SAS kit and have some further questions regarding vacume to anyone who can answer them.
    I had already removed the canister and plugged in the SAS. I have also plugged the two hoses in the photos one from the canister and the other from the manifold what I read before.
    I'm told that only one of the hoses should have been plugged and the other left open, because when I take off the gas cap there is vacuum.
    The hose from the manifold still has the breather attached inline. (see photo)
    Should I cut above the breather and plug it there?
    Therefore there would be no need for the remaining line plugged hanging under the bike.
    Fast forward to today... I don't want to further start cutting lines if I don't need to.
    I know the 2018 V7's have been tweaked the way they build them at the factory to cut costs a little here and there from what I've been hearing, so what I read in the past may or may not apply to the 2018's.

IMG_3437.jpg

Tank Breather Valve.jpg

5. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I would just get rid of all the hoses and either cap the barb on manifolds or run a line from one to anther. I guess you need to connect it for inspections. The ones from tank are open to underside of bike.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Steve, this is a single throttle body V7.

Ray, that tip valve should be gutted or removed, and should go to free air. It cannot be blocked.

7. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the info Steve, I followed one of the lines to the breather vent valve which I will remove from the line.

8. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

"Tip Valve" meaning breather valve in photo? Yes I agree. Thanks Todd.

9. GT-Rx®

Yep. ;)

10. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

while working on my breather hose I just noticed behind the left side cover (2) see through plugs from the air box.
    one of them has been rubbing against the hose straight from the factory and has fluid and or white grease in it.
    It may may have a tiny hole in it, leaking down the hose I am removing from the breather valve.
    any suggestions? thanks. :smirk:

air box1.jpg

11. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

another visual, close up.

air box2.jpg

12. V700Steve

That looks like an airbox drain.

13. V700Steve

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  14. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

Hmm, I'll look into it. I finished cleaning it up last night. thanks for the info!

15. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

Why would there be any fluid and/or white grease in the air box drain on a new bike?

16. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

oil mist mixed with water vapour

17. squirrelyrf

squirrelyrf Just got it firing!

I've got a 17' V9 bobber , does the evap removal apply to the V9 as it does to the 7. If so could an occasional run away or hanging throttle issue occurring when the bike is hot be caused by the evap system. I've checked the throttle cable and no hang up or pinch, bike only has maybe 2000 miles on it . I have appointment with mech and dealer, but ?

18. GT-Rx®

Sure is, and shouldn’t cause a hanging idle, no. Sounds like something else may be wrong (though intake leak would cause a high idle.)

19. PierLuigi

PierLuigi Just got it firing!

Question: can I disconnect the breather valve from the sensor without causing a CEL?

20. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I don't understand the question. There is no sensor in this system, and I'm not sure what a "CEL" is. ??