Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Exhaust flange nuts

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by BenRCMC, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Benjamin Eley

Benjamin Eley Just got it firing!

Both lubed and dry torque specs would be great. I wasn’t planning on using never seize, because I’d rather them not fall off on me, but if you suggest it, it’s easy enough to put it on there. I was reading on some other thread and they were saying 7 ft/lbs, which seems like too much. I want to get them good and tight but also don’t want to pull the stud out of the front of the head.

2. Benjamin Eley

Benjamin Eley Just got it firing!

I definitely want to try the Nord locking washers if I have any problems with all new oem nuts and washers.

3. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

25nm on my Griso.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Doesn't apply to the small block. Griso has 8mm studs, I think the small blocks are 6mm.

5. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    IMO, some fasteners just make using a torque wrench a "too hard to do."

IMO, header flanges can fall into that category. Getting a torque wrench to fit and operate on, e.g., my Norge's "inner" header nuts, at least with the tupperware in place, is an [expletive deleted :swear:].

John Z likes the term "wrench art." He isn't talking about decor. :giggle:

That's what I use for many applications. Plus -- again, using the Norge as a nonexclusive example -- one cannot trust all Nm values in even the official service manuals.

I may not be a Michelangelo in wrench art, and thus always -- as in ALWAYS -- pull out the torque wrenches for some applications, e.g., remounting wheels and peripherals.

Still, for many to most tightening jobs, I prefer to be as "artistic" as I can. I also use "small brushes," i.e., the smallest, short-handled drivers and sockets I have if I have any concerns about ham-fisting.

The only thing that's fallen off my Guzzis in years was a H-B C-Bow pannier that I was too stooopid to seat and lock before launching. :fubar:

Bill

Adam Davis likes this.
  6. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Not sure about small block torque settings. As Im sure you are right about lesser values. I was refering to 1200, my motor. Also, here is my assembly formula step by step on what I did to never have a loosened or leaky header on my 1200 through the course of normal operation. Due to a problem with the exhaust flange nuts. I loosened one when i layed bike down misjudging apex on a end of traction senerio. But thats something else all together. I used a very little bit of copper antiseize on the posts long ago. Havn't felt the need to try to remove them corroded devils since then. They are the originals. Copper anti is amazing... When tightening flange nuts I use 1 drop of Loctite 243 on each post and 1 drop on each flange nut. I snug them, all (4) ha ha at 20 nm and tighten all of the rest of the exhaust system up to silent block except the (stock) muffler. That is at the end of my install. Once system is pulled, yanked, jerked and talked nice to I then go back and do a final tighten of them there flange nuts to 25nm. Thats 4 exhaust system removals. And 4 back on installs and I'm at just under 50,000 miles. Also, the flange nuts and super thin washers are originals as well. Those I do not apply anti seize directly to. Also, the header gaskets i use are directional. The metallic side of gaskets always faces towards the headers. Always.

Obviously, eventually I will have to replace posts, washers, and nuts. Most likely last usage this time...thats how I avoided exhaust issues with my bike and its been 100% effective. Good luck. If this helps resolve this issue out there then supercool!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  7. BrianR

BrianR Tuned and Synch'ed

I use Triumph domed flange nuts off a T120 I think, $14 for four and because they are domed and copper grease is applied, they seem easy to remove and then likely the threads wont rust either. They also look a lot better than the rusty originals imo. As for using a torque wrench when putting them on a Stelvio, its likely the torque wrench would have been thrown across the garden instead of the small cheap spanner I used!

8. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

9. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

hi,
    V7iii has M8 exhaust stud.
    Factory recomment torque is 25nm.

10. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Forever I have been doing smallblock exhaust stud nuts to 10ftlbs and they don't come loose. New bike PDI I check all that stuff, 8mm studs get 23ftlbs and they usually stay tight.