• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust header color

Chet Van Aken

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
I've got about 15000 miles on my Cali Touring, I've ridden it pretty hard in hot weather but have done all the maintenance including valve adjustments. I've got a significant color difference between the cylinders, nothing is noticable regarding performance. Marks on the "normal" header are an unfortunate melted jacket I'm going to give the oven cleaner a try.

Any comments on what is up? CV Iphone 7 17 014 CV Iphone 7 17 013

If you're concerned, try swapping the lambda sensors over, to see if it makes it better or worse. Lambda sensors control your air-fuel ratio at lower throttle settings.

Good suggestion, doing so will most likely take a while to have an effect though if it is the cause. I was wondering if the difference was caused by the material of the pipes being a little different or the mixtures of the individual cylinders. I'm not even sure that the difference is significant in any practical or meaningful manner. It is a normal occurance but the difference between the two stood out to me. Anyone else seeing this?

You will likely get a check engine light if you swap the sensor wires.
You are seeing the difference due to the engineered "offset" between the cylinders. Despite what everyone thinks, the system is not "adaptive."
My fuel kit, while expensive, resolves all of these issues, in addition to allowing the engine to run much cooler, gives tremendously better throttle response and provides much more power as an added bonus.

You will likely get a check engine light if you swap the sensor wires.
You are seeing the difference due to the engineered "offset" between the cylinders. Despite what everyone thinks, the system is not "adaptive."
My fuel kit, while expensive, resolves all of these issues, in addition to allowing the engine to run much cooler, gives tremendously better throttle response and provides much more power as an added bonus.

There is a physical off set to the cyinders due to the crank and thus the intake paths are different lengths so you are saying the fueling in slightly different to each cylinder with the range limited stock sensors and programming being "symmetrical" or universal? Assuming the header material is not an issue from side to side the manifestation of the differental yellowing is then totally due to one cylinder being leaner than the other?

Interesting. On my first Cali 1400, my headers were opposite to what the photographs above are showing. I initially blamed it with all the heat from the motor accumulating around the RH header when it was parked on the side stand.

When the crossovers crapped out, I received new headers as a warranty fix. No more uneven headers.

I finally got the nerve to try oven cleaner on the pipe as mentioned elsewhere in the forums and it did work as advertised!

I got the pipes warm and soaked a rag with cleaner and just lightly brushed it on. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and used a soaking wet rag to get it all off. A little scrubbing and some chrome polish and all the crap was gone. Nice to know since its pretty easy to melt stuff in the front pipes, you may only do it once but if you let your buddy's ride the bike they can make the same mistake.

Back