• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

failed spark plug lead

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
the ole Breva started running pretty rough so I started poking around and....

20230524 195338

the cap was barely hanging onto the spark plug wire! seemed pretty corroded in there, too. this was the inner on the left side.

so uh... check your caps and wires once in a while, I guess that's the lesson here :D

also Todd please sell me a new set of plug wires and caps. (yes I will be emailing shortly)

Yep, that will do it! Seems there are several recent posts about spark plug wire issues again…Obviously..it’s the beginning of the riding season and the same issues rear their head every year like clockwork! 😆

What parts do you have to remive to get to and change the inner plugs?

I think you could do it just removing the tank, but I removed the whole intake too
I don't even remove the tank. I just loosen everything and shift the tank from side to side depending on what I have to access. When you remove the inner spark plug, blow compressed air in the area to remove any debris, then use a thin wall socket to extract the spark plug. Well covered on this forum.

Last edited:
Thanka guys. I have the tank off replacing a leaky valve cove gasket but im not confident i can wrangle the plugs out. Nothing ventured nothing gained i guess

You know, they have said for a few decades now, that the modern coatings used on the plugs no longer requires anti-seize compound anymore but I still always take a Q-tip and wipe just a very light dab onto every plug I seat. Always have. I think it is cheap and practical insurance against what can be, a disastrous event.

Then again, I am a lover of modern chemistry in vehicle maintenance and repair. No snake oils mind you, but proven chemicals that actually do the job they are designed to do.

Last edited:
So i got the inner plugs changed. Somehow also had the foresight to have complete plug wires on hand. But the coil?(the electrical box the opposite end from the spark plug goes) is green and corroded. How do you clean that?

So i got the inner plugs changed. Somehow also had the foresight to have complete plug wires on hand. But the coil?(the electrical box the opposite end from the spark plug goes) is green and corroded. How do you clean that?
Electrical contact cleaner. Available at most auto parts stores. If very heavy corrosion, start with rubbing alcohol and a q tip. Then use the contact cleaner as it will help prevent future corrosion.

FINALLY

I haven't gone this long without the Breva available and eager since I bought it in 2008!

These caps are from MTA, an Italian manufacturer I believe. Seems to be OEM only though, so hard to order but Guzzi dealers can get them. Eventually! I bought some spares to keep on hand.

Back