• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Feedback on Northcentral Dealers

ChuckH

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm getting serious about the 2012 Stelvio NTX, whenever it finally reaches the US next year. My question deals with the various dealers that are close enough that I can work with them -- I'm 50 miles south of Indianapolis.

To my knowledge, the closest at 250 miles (5 hours or so) is Renegade Motors in Toledo, OH. Then there is Rose Farm Classics at 300 miles (6 hours or so) in Woodstock, IL. Last, would be a dealer in the Greater St Louis area at about 275 miles (5 hours or so), if there is one. There is no one in Cincinnati nor Kentucky.

I would appreciate your input (good or bad, lets hear it all) on Renegade or Rose Farms, since they seem to be the most likely. Also, if there is some other dealer that I should be considering. please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Do not know Renegade, but see what I said recently about RFC here:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/7609.html#p57004

As you may know from lurking here and elsewhere in Guzzidom, many Guzzisti "fly & ride" to distant dealers to buy, and "ride & ride" to those or others for service ... or do their own, less warranty work (which can be its own little joke :whistle: ).

I presume you are vic. Columbus. If you rule our Renegade or RFC, you are c.450 from Riders Hill in Dahlonega, about the same to Moto-Nexus in Hendersonville, and less than 300 to the dealer (forgot the name) in Murfreesboro. Those are mere day rides Guzziphiles and on mighty fine roads, too. Toss in a few days romping in the area, and it's a design-a-moto-vacation.

And, some (of us) think nothing of dealing with MPH -- I bought my Norge there before Riders Hill came into pic; great folks -- and other of the premier Guzzi dealers.

Best wishes,

Bill

I was new to Guzzi in 2008, but knew Jim at Rose Farm for many years. How? About 25 years ago when Jim was working for a BMW dealer, my son and I were out riding and my BMW suddenly stopped. I called Jim and told him my problem. That night, after his regular job was over, he drove out a hundred miles and collected my broken down BMW. He trailered the bike back and the next day he repaired the machine.
The next year I bought a ’09 Stelvio at Rose Farm , which was 65 miles from my home and further than another Moto Guzzi dealer. The other dealer was also cheaper than Jim, but I knew Rose Farm was the place to be- a great mechanic thoroughly familiar with Guzzis. It was not a hard decision for me and I was glad I bought the Stelvio at Rose Farm. It turned out to be one of life’s better decisions.
The point being, knowing what I know now, I would go Rose Farm and even though it’s much further away you won’t regret it, especially if you have a serious problem as I did, which unfortunately as we all know can happen.
Bob

Hi Bill,
I happened to stop by Rose Farm the day you were taking delivery of your Griso. I stopped there as I often do while out riding, to use the head and that day warm up a bit. I saw you and your wife and wished I knew it was you. At the time I was surprised someone from Georgia was buying at Rose Farm. I have seen and enjoyed your posts many times and I relate to you as I am also a lawyer (retired). I particularly remember the picture post when you insalled one of Todd's shocks on the Norge. Lately, your posts re: riding along the Mississipi River tells me you have seen some of the best we have around here. You may have noticed it's pretty flat around here. My riding buddy has a T shirt that is a take off on Deals Gap--" Illinois 329 miles and 11 curves". Good luck with the new bike.

Bob

You might want to talk to Steve Foote at All Seasons in Wooster OH. Maybe a little further than Toledo but I've had good experience with them.

Steve's email:
allseasons@sssnet.com

Jim

If I were going to buy a new bike I would buy from Joe Eish in Salineville, Oh. He is a great guy and is a great help. He gives discounts to MGNOC members too.

gstallons said:
If I were going to buy a new bike I would buy from Joe Eish in Salineville, Oh. He is a great guy and is a great help. He gives discounts to MGNOC members too.

Last I heard from Joe he is not an authorized dealer for new bikes any more. However he continues the parts side of his business.

Thanks guys for all of your responses. I'll have an opportunity to visit Rose Farm Classics during the Christmas Holidays. My wife and I are originally from SE Wisconsin and make the trek to her family farm every year. Woodstock, IL is close by so I can make a day trip to check out the Black '10 Stelvio they have on the floor and see their operation.

However, my plans for a '12 Stelvio took a serious hit the other day when I checked with my insurance man to see what it would cost to insure the new bike. He told me it would be roughly 3 times as expensive as I currently pay for my '09 Wee-Strom ABS bike. This puts insurance for my 12-15K mile/year hobby bike into the "this is ridiculous" category and makes the purchase very hard to justify.

Apparently, Progressive (the carrier for the Wee) has all of the large bore, shaft drive AdvTouring bikes at elevated premium levels. The Yama Tenere would cost me exactly the same as the Stelvio and the Beemer 1200GS would be only 10% less (probably because they have some history with the insurance risks for it).

We are exploring other options but, at the present time, the picture is looking pretty bleak.

How much are you paying? I have 3 bikes,2 w/full coverage for less than $600/yr.

gstallons said:
How much are you paying?

My coverage numbers are high because I carry a large liability umbrella and my vehicles (cars and bike) are covered with high dollar liability values.

However -- Good news! My insurance man just called with a quote from a different insurance company and the numbers are now very close to what I pay for my '09 Wee-Strom. Life is good!

ChuckH said:
gstallons said:
How much are you paying?

My coverage numbers are high because I carry a large liability umbrella and my vehicles (cars and bike) are covered with high dollar liability values.

However -- Good news! My insurance man just called with a quote from a different insurance company and the numbers are now very close to what I pay for my '09 Wee-Strom. Life is good!

I am hijacking this thread a wee bit, tho the OP had already let it wander off on a related insurance tangent.

Reading moto (and car and other) insurance threads is always interesting to me.

Along with many others, I suspect, I am pretty ignorant about insurance generally. For example, for years, I had so much life insurance that I began to worry that Kathi might kill me so she could live on a yacht on the Italian Riviera. :lol:

I now have what I believe to be, at my age, "appropriate" and affordable life insurance coverage that will take care of Kathi if -- erm ... when -- I punch out, without tempting her to move that date up any. :woohoo:

We also have a high-end LTC policy on both of us that, quite frankly, I am considering letting go.

Then, there's the homeowner's, personal liability, etc., policies. I gave up an umbrella policy as it became too hard to bring all stuff under one insurance roof, but I still worry about that a bit.

Oh, yes, then there's auto/moto insurance. Most discussions I see on motoforums dwell -- understandably -- on the premium cost. Yet, the product is what we should be shopping for, then finding that at the least cost. The product is coverage. And, yes, "service," but when bad things happen, I want to be insured and assured that I will be made relatively whole.

I have higher-than-required limits on my cars and Guzzis. I chose those after discussions with what I believe to be industry professionals who had -- beside profit motives; I am a capitalist and do not begrudge folks making fair returns for services! -- my needs in mind.

I would be happy to pay lower premiums, and have switched companies to achieve that, but only for the same or virtually the same protection. But premium cost alone should not, IMO, be the determiner. OTOH, at some point, premiums can mean "no sale" on a given machine.

Glad you, chuckh, were able to find something other than the "this is ridiculous" premium level. BTDT, and won't again.

Bill

Good Morning Guys,

I had the opportunity to meet with Jim and Tom(?) at Rose Farm Classics over the Christmas Holiday. We had a good discussion for a couple of hours. Looks like a good shop and they're certainly knowledgeable about Guzzis.

Jim said he'd be ordering 2012 models in January with an expected delivery near mid-year. I'll certainly keep my eyes open to see if he has a Stelvio in that group.

Thanks for the feedback to my question.

ChuckH said:
Good Morning Guys,

I had the opportunity to meet with Jim and Tom(?) at Rose Farm Classics over the Christmas Holiday. We had a good discussion for a couple of hours. Looks like a good shop and they're certainly knowledgeable about Guzzis.

Jim said he'd be ordering 2012 models in January with an expected delivery near mid-year. I'll certainly keep my eyes open to see if he has a Stelvio in that group.

Thanks for the feedback to my question.

Commit to a Stelvio now and he can make it part of his order, or add it to his existing order.

John,

It sounds like Guzzi is going to bring the NTX Model Stelvio (rather than the 8V Model) into the US/Canada in 2012 in either black or orange. Either color is OK with me (actually, I sort of like the orange) and the NTX has accessories that will pretty well meet my needs. However, I want mine to have the cast rims instead of the spokes. Jim is going to investigate to see if/how he can make that happen. If he can, I expect I'll get a telephone call.

I bought my 1200 Sport in April 2011, and took it to Rosefarm Classics in Woodstock, IL for the 1st service. Jim Barron is a top-level Guzzi mechanic. While doing the necessary services, he took time to tell me what to look for and to be aware of when I do them on my own in the future. I've seen people complain about the stepper motor on their bikes, and mine had the same issue, until after the 1st service. I don't know if it was the updated map Jim installed, or the sudden disappearance of the Carbon cannister, but it idles smooth and consistent now. I'm in NW Indiana, so it was just under 100 miles for me, but well worth the trip. If I need any services in the future, I guarantee you it'll be at Rosefarm.

BTW... just the fact that Rosefarm Classics has a Guzzi MGS-01 sitting there is enough reason to deal with them.

Back