• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

filter rehash

richardreusser

Just got it firing!
I know this has been covered ad infinitum, but check this out... a filter on a '16 2000 mile Stornello rapidly turning into linguine. Surprised how soft the plastic had become. Maybe it would've gone another twenty K miles, then again, maybe Margo Robbie is looking for me at the local Denny's.

FWIW, the anticipated replacement headaches failed to materialize. De-pressurizing the fuel system turned the fussy quick connect into a kitten, and the assembly practically fell out of the tank after watching Todd's Youtube clip.

Peace of mind is seldom so easily acquired.

Rich IMG 6200

Winner of the bad design of the century award.

Whomever felt the need to construct this Frankenstein filter in the first place, simply boggles my mind.

I too have thought about that and the only thing I could come up with was visual inspection of fuel movement. However, given that this was inside of the fuel tanks, that becomes moot really. Just a terrible design by the filter manufacturer.

Wow. Vagrant you seem to relish calling people at Piaggio and Moto Guzzi various unkind things all the time. I just don’t understand it.

The problem is AMERICAN fuel with Ethanol, not the filter. You can put that dual material filter in plain ethanol fuel and never have a problem. Granted, I still question why it was created in the tirst place but it really doesn’t matter. It’s an easy fix.

There are NO ethanol fuel additives in all of Italy nor in a great deal of Europe since 2005. Without economic subsidies, it’s just not economically practical to produce corn on limited good farmland to make ethanol.

America adds ethanol of various concentrations that it makes design of components very difficult.

I don’t think that justifies calling Piaggio idiots but whatever.

That statement is patently false. The filter is listed for both gasoline and diesel. In fact, the filter is listed as the spec filter for numerous models of gasoline vehicles of numerous manufacturers in Europe including.

CITROËN
FIAT
INNOCENTI
PEUGEOT
PIAGGIO
RENAULT
SKODA

I don't doubt that the fuel filter has experienced problems due to ethanol in the fuels here. This is established fact and I have also read the posts here but as usual, most of them are anecdotal or repeat what the person has heard or read elsewhere. It is unfortunate that these were used in USA bond motorcycles, but I think the issue was not realized until they reached the US. I still don't think anybody at Piaggio or Moto Guzzi warrants being branded an idiot. It is an unfortunate chemical reaction that was unanticipated.

However, just like the PA6 polyamide plastic manufactured fuel tanks, the problem is absolutely based upon ethanol, not gasoline.

Just to clarify some remarks , E-10 fuel is used in Belgium , Finland , France and Germany . E-5 fuel is
presently used in England with the near future having it upped to E-10 . My 2018 Eldorado actually
came with a "no E-15" sticker on the fuel tank , so I guess it's ( ethanol) is not strictly a north American
thing . Peter

Wow. Vagrant you seem to relish calling people at Piaggio and Moto Guzzi various unkind things all the time. I just don’t understand it.

The problem is AMERICAN fuel with Ethanol, not the filter. You can put that dual material filter in plain ethanol fuel and never have a problem. Granted, I still question why it was created in the tirst place but it really doesn’t matter. It’s an easy fix.

There are NO ethanol fuel additives in all of Italy nor in a great deal of Europe since 2005. Without economic subsidies, it’s just not economically practical to produce corn on limited good farmland to make ethanol.

America adds ethanol of various concentrations that it makes design of components very difficult.

I don’t think that justifies calling Piaggio idiots but whatever.
Those half plastic fuel filters showed up in the US in 2004. You mean to tell me it took Guzzi/Piagio over 10 years to figure out there was a problem?

It is established historical fact that those filters are not the best design.

It is not accurate to state that it is a diesel filter. It specifically is listed for multiple applications for petrol and diesel.

There is nothing of value of goodwill to be gained by name calling the parent organization of Moto Guzzi. Why? I have waited for my whole life to see the infusion of capital into Moto Guzzi, and the press into the next 100 years as a rock solid, high technology, world class manufacturer. Go Piaggio, Go!

I just think calling them idiots is unkind and unwarranted and it is counterproductive to promoting the marque, which by the way is THE WHOLE PURPOSE THAT GUZZITECH EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Todd has tied his economics to the economics of this loveable old motorcycle company on the banks of the Eastern shore of Lake Como. He sells factory OEM parts, manufactures custom made components and solutions and produces highly customized motorcycles based completely upon this single marque!

I am a lifelong aficionado of this marque and I know that all manufacturers make errors, omissions, business choices, and general goofs and errors. Nobody’s perfect. Nobody. I can scratch my head and armchair quarterback too but what does it give us here of value? Nothing.

But bash away by all means if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
I have been reading these filter threads, but don’t see any reference to V85TT. The parts catalog in the download section does not show a filter separate from the pump assembly. Is there any information I have missed in other threads regarding this? Do I need to be concerned? I used an inspection camera through the fuel filler opening to look at the pump assembly, but could not get the right angle to see everything clearly.

I have been reading these filter threads, but don’t see any reference to V85TT. The parts catalog in the download section does not show a filter separate from the pump assembly. Is there any information I have missed in other threads regarding this? Do I need to be concerned? I used an inspection camera through the fuel filler opening to look at the pump assembly, but could not get the right angle to see everything clearly.
The late model bikes have an all metal filter so you bike should be fine.

John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Arizona (at least in the Phoenix and Tucson areas) started using oxygenated fuel (ethanol or ether added to unleaded gasoline along with other additives) in the 1980's so I have a lot of experience with deterioration of plastic and rubber fuel system parts on small engines, previous motorcycles, and even cars/trucks. This makes me pay close attention to these issues so I wanted to know whether this new bike was either OK or needed some retrofitting.

it appears that no engineer in the world could predict that our esteemed politicians thought it be a great idea to put corn in our fuels.

"Just be thankful you are not getting all the government your paying for" Roy Rogers ca1920

I wouldn't bet my life on it. Elsewhere, I saw a photo of a filter that was pulled from an E4 V85TT, and it used an all-plastic MAHLE KL97. Note, however, that plastic fuel filters aren't necessarily bad, even with ethanol. It just needs to be the *right kind* of plastic.

__Jason

I wouldn't bet my life on it. Elsewhere, I saw a photo of a filter that was pulled from an E4 V85TT, and it used an all-plastic MAHLE KL97. Note, however, that plastic fuel filters aren't necessarily bad, even with ethanol. It just needs to be the *right kind* of plastic.

__Jason

Then it looks like the KL 145 will still be in demand.

Note that the KL97 was pulled because it was clogged with filth - not because it was defective in any way. It was replaced with another KL97. Like I said, plastic not necessarily bad. On the V7III the filter plugs into a length of corrugated plastic hose, which has no problem in ethanol. Time will tell if the KL97 is an issue, but given that it is commonly used on a number of different bikes (Ducati, KTM, Husky, etc) and I've not yet stumbled across any reports of failing in the same way as the half-n-half filters, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably just fine. Not worth creating a panic over at this point, IMHO.

__Jason

Back